main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darth_paul, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm a bit nervous about posting my first thread here, but I didn't see another thread going on this book that TFN Books just announced. It sounds interesting. The Random House site labels it a video game tie-in, so it seems clear that it will actually connect with the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG.

I play Galaxies but have never been to Dantooine. Anyone who's been there have any idea what the book's title could be in reference to? One thing that strikes me about the title is that it sounds a lot like the title of the first month's storyline, "The Shards of Alderaan." Perhaps they'll do a series of these books, incorporating each of these monthly storylines into the EU so that the game isn't completely apocryphal.

I wonder what this book will do for the relationship between Galaxies and the EU. It's already been established, as I understand it, that the events that start each storyline and the major LFL-created events that occur on all servers are canonical and form the basis for the AU action of the game. A book(s) like this would definitely strengthen the canon standing of those events. Also makes me wonder if they'll be adding NPCs based on characters that appear in the book, or synthespians controlled by LucasArts/Sony employees. I see all sorts of interesting possibilities for tying the two together. Anyone else have thoughts on the book or how it will affect the relationship between the the EU and gaming?

Edit: I should point out that it'll be a paperback, cost $7.50, be released in December, and be authored by Voronica Whitney-Robinson. What scant information we have on the book currently is available at [link=http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?0345470664),]Random House[/link].

-Paul

[hl=black]Ok, the spoiler thread is up now, so (since I don't think there is much more to discuss on the non-spoiler front), I direct further conversation to that official thread found here:[/hl]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/14393443/]The Official STAR WARS GALAXIES: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)[/link]

Unlocking until Quest comes back so he can post the sticky thread.

Should be appearing above any time now.

2. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Interesting, very interesting.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Only the starting point, i.e. background information for NPC characters(and the introductions to the [link=http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/monthly_story.jsp?page=Monthly%20Story]story missions[/link]) of Galaxies are canon, according to a recent answer in the VIP threads at starwars.com, from Leland Chee. According to him, the unwritten outcomes to the story missions which are different on each servor due to AU player characters deciding which direction the story goes, for the empire or the rebellion are not canon.

Here is the author's [link=http://hometown.aol.com/voronica/myhomepage/business.html]website[/link].

4. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    I'm still a wee-bit confused about the way the whole galaxies universe goes. I realize the players decide how the GCW is going(in favor of empire or Rebellion) on a regional or planetary scale. But can the players make a complete victory one way or another in the GCW? I mean, if enough people choose one faction, or if one faction is wins enough battles, can the GCW be won, or is it just going to be that new planets will be introduced, or the programmers will stick some new incentive to join the losing side of the war? If it's possible to win the GCW, would it become pretty dull...

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The title may refer to the ruins of the Jedi training facility that existed on Dantooine in the TOTJ era.

I think said-facility (temple?) also appeared in KOTOR during it's active days.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, according to the galaxies faq at the official galaxies site, it is possible for the players on a servor to control the outcome of the GCW for the whole galaxy on that servor, there are various servors("Galaxies") so that the outcome can be different on each one. While you can't actually end the civil war(it is fairly open ended), you can effect which factions are in charge of the galaxy.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Paul...
    Welcome to the Lit. forum. This information is great! I hadn't heard of this before, and it looks interesting.

EDIT: This makes sense. My guess is that it's going to be some sort of SWRPG supplement/module. If so, we've been seeing this coming for a long time. It's just a matter of time before they make Galaxies-related sourcebooks, etc. for outside the game.

Alternately, it could be like all of those old TSR fiction novels that are all based on the "Gold Box" games. Except this one's based off of Galaxies.

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The ruins could be the ruins of the rebel outpost at Dantooine, too, couldn't they? I mean, it was some abandoned post, so maybe it's in ruins. and Galaxies is post-ANH, isn't it?

I'm not sure what to make of this book. With the RPG background (and the fact that the author seems pretty much RPG to me), it looks like an Adventure Journal story to me. I bet it won't have a main character in the lead, but some new character invented for this book. The thing that really bugs me is that no-one is telling anything about this anywhere, and it's set to appear in December already. Strange, strange...

And 7.50 should better mean a hell of a page count (haven't seen this price on an all-paperback-no-hardcover-reprint-book yet)...

EDIT: The author has her e-mail-adress on the site, saying "if you have questions concerning the books"...
    OK, who's gonna ask her? I'm too shy for this.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz JC Head Admin & Community Manager star 9 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 21, 2002
    Mmm. If I recall correctly, there was going to be some kind of SWRPG tie-in product with Galaxies, but it was ultimately cancelled and some of its material made its way into other sourcebooks (ie. the Rodian weapon appearing in the Arms & Equipment Guide).

Maybe they've changed their minds?

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Very interesting. I have yet to play Galaxies, but I am a little wary about books that are based off of games, like the Halo novels. I just haven't gotten into game-tiein novels, but I have yet to try.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    There is already precident for this within star wars, just take a look at the Dark Forces novellas.

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I forgot about those. I've never read them, but they're not mass markets, like this upcoming book and the others like Halo. Can they still be purchased?

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, they can still be bought in the TPB form. They are by William Dietz(who is also writing the upcoming Escape from Dagu)

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tasty on TOS say the book is set around the time of SWG (1.5 years after Yavin) and we can expect characters and locales from SWG to appear in it (I'd imagine he is referring to NPCs and not PCs).

I haven't visited Dantooine yet so I can't speculate further.

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This sounds very intrersting. I hope we get more info soon.

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Oh man, I hate video game spinoff novels. I hated the Diablo, Warcraft, and Myst novels. What makes them think I'll like this one? [face_plain]

17. jawajames

jawajames FF Pacific RSA / Chapter Rep San Diego, CA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Apr 26, 2002
    uh.. it's star wars?
    i feel sorry for you for having read those other video game tie-in books...

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Considering that galaxies doesn't have much of a story to begin with, and this new book will have information to draw on from the entire EU, along with new galaxies information to create an original story, I don't see where it would be written any different than the rest of the written EU.

19. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    BTW, there are also ancient Builder ruins on Dantooine.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, I just kinda realized that there is some greater significance to this novel, assuming it is a regular length adult novel...

This will be the first adult novel set between ANH and ESB to come out in, like, 25 years (the last, and first, being Splinter of the Mind's Eye, obviously).

21. VanillaZinger

VanillaZinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I was a little bummed to read this. I made my pitch awhile back to land that book deal, before they'd decided to have a novel. I never heard back, but I see now that I simply got passed over. Alas.

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This looks interesting. The author doesn't have a whole lot of writing credits, but her previous novels haven't gotten terrible reviews. I don't see why they need to label it a Galaxies novel, though. That worries me that it may be an Infinities title.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Infinities title."

If it is labeled as such, I simply won't buy it.

Though I have to admit "Galaxies" is a stupid name, since in actuality there is only one canon galaxy.

I think they should have just named the game "Star Wars Galaxy".

24. VanillaZinger

VanillaZinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    The idea is that each game "server" comprises its own galaxy. The game actually consists of lots of galaxies; pick which one you want to play on and dive in.

Yeah, it's not the strongest name in the world.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, but there is only one official galaxy, and why base a name off of the gameplay mechanic? ...in other words it's a pretty stupid name...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.