main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (Marvel 5-issue miniseries)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It doesn't seem like it. That was the proto-saber; this is the Sword of Kashyun, apparently.

Kylo's not stated to be after it, and Dok-Ondar specifically hides the artifact so Kylo doesn't even learn about it in the first place.

2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  3. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Looks like this comic was written during the Trevorrow Era of TROS ;p

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering I outright saw Kylo walk by saber wielding kids and a Jedi building on Batuu, I think Dok-Ondar could probably place the artifact with large signs around it next to Kylo's landing pad and Kylo still won't notice it. [face_laugh] (sorry I know, silly joke)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    A spy really shouldn’t wear the insignia of their organization on their chest, should they?

Daneira likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It reminds me of why Batman drives around in a Batmobile that screams to everyone that Batman is coming.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Greedo issue was okay but I found it a bit jarring whenever Greedo is presented as competent. Well he wasn't THAT competent he did have the target fall to his death. But Greedo being good with a blaster always feels odd to me.

The Hondo / Dok one was better because when the issue had them fighting the Guardians of the Whills I was like "Awww, Chrriut isn't there" but then he totally showed up! "Those aren't the footprints of the pious!" That is a statue you can buy at Galaxy's Edge, right? And I think they made a point that there were hundreds of them made or something? Branding!

9. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Not as far as I've seen.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This from the Aphra Galaxy Edge comic

Sith Species is kinda iffy though but the other two definitely.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
  11. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Is this series any good? I’m bored waiting for the Age Of... series to all be released as one big book so looking to pick up this, Vader Dark Visions or Tie Fighter.

Any suggestions?

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd say wait until it's completed. The frame story will definitely read better once the whole thing is complete. The flashbacks are pretty good on their own, but not really enough to keep you invested on a monthly basis. If those are your three choices, I'd say go with Tie Fighter.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, spinning theories is fun and all... but the guy jumps to strange conclusions maybe for click bait effect. Regular swords were used by the early Jedi Knights in the EU, they were not specific to the Sith species. The Dark Jedi even subjugated and conquered the Sith species through use of the superior weapons like the lightsaber and greater knowledge and implementation of the Force. Sith Swords were just basically often Dark Side infused lightsaber resistant material melee weapons, that were sometimes preferred by Sith Lords cause of tradition or of allowing for much greater blood and gore. The weapons were either akin or actually vibroblade weapons (like Revan and Malak's Sith troopers and Dark Jedi used).

Despite mentioning it himself, the comic specifically says they were a Dowitin Sith sect and it portrays them as such including Mumm-Ra there. The comic does not say that such bladed Sith swords were truly better than lightsabers or that they predated lightsabers. It just says thats what those Dowitin Sith sect preferred them over lightsabers and believed such weapons were for the strong - since had and had their own Sith cult surrounding such weapons where they killed eachother over one sword in particular type of stuff.

Dryden Vos collected mummified Tuk'ata specimens(confiscated from Latts Razzi's syndicate), so they were canonized before Dooku: Jedi Lost in Smugglers Guide .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning #4, any idea on time line placement within the rest of the Aphra run?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Before Aphra #9, I'd say; Triple-Zero and BT seem to be her sidekicks here, rather than Trip being her "master" in the Enormous Profit arc and everything that follows after. Maybe either before the start of her series, or in one of the time skips before #9 after the Citadel of Rur arc.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Image from Galaxy Edge #5

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    This issue had some nice representations of familiar locales from the park, but I didn't find the wrap-up very satisfactory, though it was nice enough to see all the artifacts get used during Kendoh's escape. I'm guessing it might lead into future stories, but as a one-off it felt a little flat, especially as we learned relatively little about Kendoh's gang itself.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They missed the opportunity in this comic for Kylo to show up on Batuu and get into an argument with some kids, while his First Order stormtroopers look on in confusion. Although maybe that would be too jokey.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning #5
    Yeah, I didn't like the ending. Having another random Clawdite out of no where felt cheap. Everyone had a plan B (or C or D) and I guess in the end Dok's plan B was better, but they couldn't put a definitive ending on this and we get "The End?" in the comic. I hate that.

I got no sense how this story relates to the current state of Batuu's canon day? The First Order is looming. The Resistance is resisting. We know this. What else?

In the end, we get no closure on Dok's parents. Also I just realized the sword was two pieces. Can't one simply build another hilt? It doesn't look that complicated and also not very strong if Dok could just shoot it off.

This issue sadly felt like more of an advertisement for the new land than anything. =((

Also, the very first page has Batuu spelled Baatu, like how did they miss that typo in the large colored font?

In summary, I was hoping this comic would make me feel more connected to Batuu before I visit it this October, but if anything it makes me feel less connected.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I finished the series, at least it had more First Order stuff at the end. One thing I thought was funny was the last page had a ad for Galaxy's Edge open now in Orlando Florida but the issue came out on Wednesday and the Star Wars Land opened in Florida on Friday. Blatant false advertising! What about the poor soul who read this comic and trekked down to Florida only to find it didn't open for another 48 hours?

.... there's absolutely no way that happened but it COULD have!

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Good to see Moraband and Tuk’ata.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This was a really weird series. They were kind of all over the place with the plots, which in a way was fun (sort of like "Tales of..." or the Certain POV stories), but the overriding plot involving Dok-Ondor and his family was never resolved. I liked the new characters (who seem a bit like a D&D team), but I don't think we ever see them again after this.

On the RPG theme, I also got the impression the authors were hitting the "randomize" button on the Wook to come up with plot ideas. "Let's have Greedo and Barada raid a Muun base using Ki-Adi-Mundi's lightsaber!" (poor muuns...), "Let's have a complicated repiece-the-artifact plot involving Aphra on Korriban spanning decades!", "Let's have Hondo infiltrate the Temple of the Kyber and fight Chirrut Imwe!"

[​IMG]

It definitely followed like a drunk RPG or a plot kids would come up with playing with their action figures. Not like that's really a bad thing -- I do like insane creativity -- but it was completely haphazard. Entertaining in a weird way (not the Muun segment, that was painful), but not really cohesive as a whole. And I'm left wondering what was the deal with Dok's parents and their mysterious murder.