main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Nov 28, 2018.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    These are so...gorgeous?! I love them, even though they feel very weirdly short.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Oh my god, R2-D2 and C-3PO screeching to a halt and waiting for Vader to walk by was legitimately hilarious.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I've watched them all through again. Oddly, the Wampa one is the one I find most beautiful to look at, with Vader taking out the Rebel soldiers as a close second.

5. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    I adore these. The animation is stunning, but I also think the perfect introduction for kids is to focus on the core morality and moments presented in the original trilogy—the basis for everything else in the Star Wars franchise. Luke picking up his lightsaber gave me flashbacks to when I picked up my first toy lightsaber as a kid... the rush of imagining myself in Luke’s shoes and facing down evil.

It’s also dynamic and ‘new’ in a way that might interest younger viewers in watching the originals. I worked with middle schoolers recently, and in talking to them, it was clear that older special effects presented a significant hurdle to these kids. They told me repeatedly they didn’t like “older movies, though they did consider themselves Star Wars fans and enjoy the sequels and prequels. I do see the argument some others have given that the flashy animation might actually make the originals seem older, but I also think it’ll make them seem more vital to understanding the universe.

They’ve also uploaded several “fun facts” videos, which I think will be great for kids, too. They’re kind of like the short-lived “One Galaxy” campaign videos that accompanied The Force Awakens and Rebels from 2015 in the sense that they’re summarizing the major story beats and alluding to what occurs in the prequels and sequels. (They surprisingly refrain from mentioning Luke’s sequel trilogy arc, however—likely to prevent spoilers.)

Something I think is particularly fun about these is that they deliberately avoid confirming Vader’s identity. Throughout Vader’s fun fact video, they only refer to him as ‘Vader’ even when depicting prequel scenes. That way, they can preserve the mystery to kids when they watch the actual films.

Also, the Vader Fun Facts video uses The Old Republic’s Sith emblem about 30 seconds in. :D

EDIT: Also, shocking that they didn’t tone down Vader’s scene from Rogue One! It affirms to me that the aim is to present the original trilogy era as slick and dynamic (as well as to sell the associated toy line).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    spicer and BobaMatt like this.
  6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh look. The moment that ended me.
    [​IMG]

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That lightsaber sure creates a lot of wind. :p

Yunzabit likes this.
  8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    So it doesn't overheat. ;)

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, it's a little odd that these are nominally pitched at the youngest age group ever for SW, but one short is pretty much Vader killing... everybody else who shows up onscreen!

Kind of a wash... prettier than FOD, but not adding anything to the mythos in any way. And as someone pointed out, kind of rendering the OT even more "dated" from a kids' perspective. But maybe there are plans for something a little more substantial later on.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The animation for these is gorgeous- and they do occasionally add some nice original moments like the droids making their way to the escape pod and Vader passing by (I really wanted him to pause and give them a look and then keep going).

They do seem very clear on spoiling only the original 6 movies (and the OT in particular), I suppose to help sell the backstory for the new films they're trying to focus their marketing on over the next year. They're just making future parents jobs harder. ;)

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The animation style is like a storybook, which is perfect.

Anyway, "Might of the Empire" is the best.

spicer likes this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    These are fantastic, loved them! Can't wait for the rest.
    [​IMG]

BobaMatt likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Prince Zuko's voice Dante Basco in the Luke short.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I actually agree with Kylo for once.

More, more, more!

spicer likes this.
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Huh, I'm so not used to being the one who's "meh" on a SW animation thing while everyone else digs it.

I'll say this: if FOD looked like this, it would be fantastic. If this looked like FOD, it would be garbage. As they stand, both could be better, neither is terrible.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I showed this to my brother and he literally cried laughing. [face_laugh]

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So are wind creating sabers the new canon now:p

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Must restrain from comments.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I love it so much why are people hating on Jedi-fantasy Luke?

RavagerFish, Revanfan1 and starfish like this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I love it too, works really well.

22. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I didn't mind these shorts. They're harmless, but apparently, people on YouTube are hating on this series because it's aimed at a younger audience.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Surely not Star Wars fans!

[​IMG]
    Eleven-ThirtyEight posted this:

24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've seen a couple of forty second clips on youtube, one of Vader walking throught a star destroyer and one of Luke igniting the lightsabre. I'm confused are these promos or actual episodes because I knew they're meant to be short but these are insultingly short even for younger audiences!

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    ... What does insultingly short even mean? Like, something has to be of a certain length to be good?