main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Hey has anyone heard when Queens shadow is coming out?

2. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Same here! I also forgot about the possibility of a The Mandalorian tie-in this year as well!

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    March 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    THANKS!!!

5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I like that Disney is creating fresh original content for the novels but I seriously hope that they shift back to having meaningful actions take place in the novels. I love to read and I love Star Wars. I want the stuff that happens in the novels to matter like in the old days. I don't care if movie-only fans are confused. Its their loss. Respect the true fans, Disney!!!!

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There's no such thing as a "true" fan. But we're in a different time now. No novels mattered until 1991, and then while the prequels were coming out none of their tie-in novels did anything particularly huge. It wasn't until after the trilogy that we got, say, Darth Plagueis. Right now the major moments are naturally going to be saved for the films -- and look at how many people think Obi-Wan vs. Maul was "wasted" in Rebels when it could have formed part of a live-action film. The EU only got to be important for a while because there weren't any films coming out; now there are, and I'd much rather have major new films than major new books.

Serfer and Daneira like this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I get the desire for big events in books. And we have had some and will again. We have Operation Cinder and Jakku. We saw the beginning of the emergence of the First Order in Bloodline. I suspect this plotline will be continued in the books. We are also likely to get the formation of the First Order, along with the formation and destruction of Luke's academy in novels. These are all pretty large galaxy changing events. The only difference being we know where things will end up. This isn't much different from the Bantam days or the prequels era EU.

It is true the books will never be driving the timeline forward. And if that's how book's being important is defined, they probably never will be important. I don't think that's a necessary nor should books have that role. The NJO was the only time this was done somewhat successfully. Everything after was pretty unpopular and repetitive. The post NJO also ignored what came before in attempts to feel significant I think the framework of the films will allow the stories to stay interesting longer, while also including significant events, but not have the problems of the post NJO.

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    My biggest thing is that I just hope we get more continuing series within the book side of things. Even if they don't necessarily blow the doors down in terms of big galactic events and history that'll drive the narrative for everything, I'd like stuff that's allowed to grow on its own independent from whatever film or game is coming out that particular year and just exist and be significant to itself.

We've kind of gotten it with the Thrawn series, and Alphabet Squadron seems like it'll be its own thing. And if this book really is a pseudo-sequel or follow up to the characters introduced in Phasma in some way then great.

9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    lolwut

Serfer likes this.
  10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    If you are a true fan of Star Wars, you read the books, play the games and watch the movies. I don’t consider you a true fan if you just watch the movies. Anybody can do that. My grandmother saw Solo and she’s the furthest thing from a Star Wars fan.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The word you're looking for is "Gatekeeping".

It's a frankly disgusting practice that only serves to make people feel lesser, and it's the reason why a lot of people find the fandom offputting.

12. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Repeat after me: the only requirement to be a fan of anything is to like it.

13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I don’t like your condescending tone. That’s my opinion. I don’t know what gatekeeping is. (Sounds fake) but I take Star Wars fandom very seriously. You can like something but it doesn’t automatically mean you’re a fan. I like a few country songs but that doesn’t make me a country music fan.

14. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I know a lot of people who love the films and get really excited for them. I know a few more who also really love The Clone Wars and play some of the video games. However, they don't read the books or comics. I think it would be incredibly unfair to not consider them true fans. They love Star Wars and get hyped for new movies. They enjoy speculating. I'm not going to exclude them from fandom because they're not as invested as me because most aren't.

There are people who grew up with Star Wars for whom the movies are very special. They aren't into the ancillary material and may not even be super invested in seeing new movies, but the movies they grew up with are special. Your can't say they're not real fans. You'd be discounting their entire experience with Star Wars and its impact on their life. And there are people who just enjoy the films, but don't get super hyped or invested; maybe they don't even associate it with childhood memories. They're still fans. One can be a casual fan. They like Star Wars, it's just not their favorite. If someone enjoys a part of the universe and want to experience it, then they're a fan. If someone considers themself a fan, then they are.

There's many types of fandom and levels of intensity. There's no one thing that defines someone as a fan. There are more types of fans than I mentioned. My point is to show that requirements can't be placed around it. It's really rude to do so and dictate to others what they're a fan of.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  15. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I'm not fond of your condescending tone towards people either. Gatekeeping is when someone tries to set arbitrary bars as to what a fan is, essentially. Say, for example, saying you can only be a true Star Wars fan if you read/play all the books, comics and games. You don't get to decide who is and is not a fan.

Not to mention how deeply financially unsound a "screw everyone who doesn't follow every bit of material" strategy is.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Pot, meet kettle.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Enough.

You’ll both be on a time-out if this antagonist approach continues.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Should we have to choose though? If we look at a story like Bloodline would that have been better as film / TV or was it better suited to being told as a novel?
    I'm not so sure of this. I think it's true to say the books will not do so exclusively, but I'd like to think they'll go with the most effective medium to tell a particular story which opens the door to the books having a major role, comics too.
    Oh, I quite like this idea.

SyndicThrass and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Sinre Edit: I said enough. Next person to continue Yunzabit’s mis-advised tangent gets a ban.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2019
  20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    So, getting back on topic, I wonder if we'll see LebJau in this? The guy's probably getting on in years but it'd be a neat tie in with the last time we saw Batuu.

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I sincerely hope we at least get some loose continuation from Phasma, given the author. On the other hand, I feel it would be unfair to be disappointed if that wasn't the case. I haven't read anything else but Phasma by Delilah Dawson but I really enjoyed Phasma. It was a compelling glimpse into the First Order and how it works.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d love to see more Cardinal, similarly.

23. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    When they say this is a prequel, do we think that means it will tie strongly into the theme park? As in, when the story is finished, there's a sense of more to come or that you're missing the next chapter unless you go to the park. Kind of like how Catalyst strongly connected to Rogue One.

I'm not sure myself. On one hand the word prequel seems to suggest a strong connection in terms of plot. At the same time, I remember reading that they had people who couldn't go to the park in mind. In such a case a strongly connected prequel wouldn't make sense. And prequel has been used for loosely connected stories, such as Approaching Storm. This was only a prequel to AOTC in the sense that Anakin and Obi-Wan were just returning from that mission; otherwise, it was pretty much a standalone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    That word "prequel" certainly is doing an often lot of work there, isn't it. And it's good to wonder whether we mean prequel in-universe (temporally speaking) or prequel out of universe (as relates your visiting the park). I'll put off discussing the first part of that to a later date, when more information is made available both about the park and the book. With time, the connection there will become quite clear.

As to the second part of that, this is not an entrance exam for the park. In the same way that none of our books are an entrance exam for your going to the theater to watch a Star Wars film. But for those that want to experience the world of the park from their home (or commute, or wherever), this book will make that introduction. To the planet, the characters, and the galactic circumstances and events that the park finds itself rooted in. Or, for those who've already visited the park, this will let you further delve into the details and themes that you've already experienced, enhancing them the way many of our books do your post-film viewing experience (e.g. think about Rogue One after you read Catalyst).

25. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! That's interesting. I like the perspective you all have at Del Rey. I'm definitely excited to learn more about this book. I'm quite excited for it; I have been hoping Delilah Dawson would get another Star Wars novel. And the story sounds fantastic.