main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    For what it's worth I think Alphabet Squadron looks more like a cover, in that it's got a specific style and design that makes it stand out. Black Spire kinda just looks like text slapped over a Galaxy's Edge poster. Both are nice, but there's more style and character to Alphabet.

Outsourced likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I prefer the Black Spire one as well. The Alphabet Squadron one is a bit garish for my tastes.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I really like both of them, but I think my preference falls more towards Alphabet Squadron. Kind of for the reasons @Coherent Axe stated. The Black Spire cover looks more like a picture with book cover elements added in.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Black Spire cover reminds me of an FFG RPG book, which makes sense given Darren Tan is the artist. The resemblance to FFG is not a bad thing though, it is a happy association for me.

To me what's interesting is how they have to convey needed information in different ways -- in Black Spire, the Galaxy's Edge stuff is prominent and on top. The Alphabet crossover stuff is at the bottom, which also makes sense too. There's definitely a process that goes into these things, and it's fascinating to me.

(still waiting for an official book entitled COVER NOT FINAL though)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Daneira, Sinrebirth and Outsourced like this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Star Wars: Cassian Andor: Cover Not Final: A Novel of the Alliance to Restore the Republic (2097)

Rebel operative Cassian Andor is on a critical mission for Alliance Intelligence, but without the help of his trusty acerbic sidekick K-2SO, the deep-cover agent soon finds his cover blown. Andor must cycle through his many, many aliases - from Willix, Aach, and Joreth Sward, to the infamous Fulcrum - to find the cover that will finally enable him to complete his mission and earn a gold sticker from General Draven.

Written by Alexander Freed, James Luceno, Timothy Zahn, and Matthew Stover.

6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    That's cool, glad you like it. I have personal preferences amongst our covers as well. And we are intentionally trying different things with each cover and book - to suit that specific title. So we definitely anticipate variance in which readers (or potential readers) like which covers.

P.S. I'm fairly certain you can go visit the parks and stand in that exact spot. But I don't know for certain. That was our goal.

7. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Ha, that's great! I can definitely see Vi Moradi cosplayers trying to replicate the cover.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Cool. One of the big successes for me of the new books has been the aesthetic approach taken, both internal and external, there's been some neat touches.

There's always that lurking tendency in the back of the head to say 'well, we ought to have a more uniform look', but that undercuts the individual books. Looking at the shelf, there's a variety of colours and fonts and design in them that makes each distinctive.

9. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Apologies if the spoiler tag doesn't cover the image. Know that I did my best. Anyway, looks like we got confirmed Cardinal! Very happy. Can't wait for this book.
    But this also brings up an issue I asked about before. Both Poe and Kaz seemed surprised by Resurgent-class Star Destroyers when they saw them. If Vi and Cardinal both survived the Absolution, that means the present-day chunks of Phasma must have been roughly contemporaneous with TFA/TLJ, where I think it was previously assumed they were earlier.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're going to Celebration TFN has the Author Track up. Delia Dawson's talk:
    Delilah S. Dawson
    Sun, Apr 14, 2019
    1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
    Star Wars University Stage

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Apparently they did finally, officially confirm in a panel that Cardinal IS in the book.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And now I have a reason to pre-buy - now, where's that Wordery offer?

... Bugger, not yet active.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Do we know which characters will be in this book?

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't know if there's a full list, but Cardinal is known to be in it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I like the sound of that! This will be a fun time! I think this is the closest they gotten to the Clone Wars multimedia project. I can't wait to spend more time with all these great characters and have more depth added to nine. This will surpass the Rogue One tie ins and those made viewing the movie spectacular.

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

Revanfan1 and JediFett10 like this.
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    There’s a preview up on amazon for this book

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The Amazon page. A couple of timeline quibbles, based on the preview:
    It's been a few weeks since Vi's framing story in Phasma, which has been unofficially placed in 28 ABY based on character ages and such. Fine...except this preview confirms Black Spire begins the day before the Hosnian Cataclysm and the Battle of Takodana in TFA. Which throws off all of those calculations by six years.

Also, a day apparently passes between GA-97 informing the Resistance of BB-8's presence on Takodana and the Hosnian Cataclysm...except it's, what, a few minutes of screentime.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK where 28 ABY comes from, but the framing story can easily be 34 ABY or thereabouts. Siv's daughter is 10 in the present day, meaning the majority of the Parnassos story takes place around 24 ABY.

I mean that was just the impression I got when reading it, that it was relatively close to TFA. I know Bloodlines takes place in 28 ABY, so maybe that's where the confusion lies.

21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Specifically the framing story has been worked out to 28 ABY by Timeline Gold and other fans who work out the dates for this kinda stuff. It feels odd to go from that to a few weeks before TFA.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just looked in to Butler's assessment, and I'd say it's tenuous enough that there's wiggle room. Almost everything in the framing story jives with what we've seen in the 33-34 ABY era, regarding the status of the Resistance and the First Order. And it makes less sense that Leia's ordering a mission like this the same year she just created the Resistance, rather than several years later. Kylo's also mentioned as being an established part of the FO at this point, when in Bloodlines Ben was presumably still with Luke. Those are the more important details than ages given, either in story (which can easily have plenty of unreliable narration, especially in Siv's case) or from fluid sources like Pablo.

Also we know the canon books are less concerned with concrete details than Legends books- dates and ages are murky and don't have to be definite. Especially with this being a case of an author seemingly contradicting herself- Dawson would know best how old her own characters should be. Words like around and about give a lot of wiggle room for these sorts of things.

23. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I’m excited for this book, I’m in the mood of TROS and this book will help, hopefully it delivers.

Do I need to read Phasma to get a better understanding of this book?

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I quite strongly disagreed with that placement for the internal timeline in the Phasma thread. I messaged Gold about this but he didn’t really disagree nor change it. Shrug.

So I’m very glad that the placement is confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016