main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jan 31, 2019.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Review on TFN Main. Note that it has a spoiler warning message at the top.

2. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Someone please clarify this to me...

Vi Moradi is explicitly asexual? I might just cry if this is true

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why is it a problem?

4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I think littlepadawan91 meant cry -with happiness-, not cry because she'd have a problem with it.

To answer, here is a relevant passage (I trimmed it down to just a few sentences):
    "Were you trying to kiss me? -snip- Then I'll go ahead and let you in on a little secret: I'm not into it. -snip- Look. We work together. We're partners. I care about you, but not like that."
    She'd never cared for anyone like that, men or women, never had such urges, but he didn't need to know that now.

And a relevant Twitter thread from a creative director at Del Rey:

[:D]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It seems strange to me that we're getting all this info on Vi AFTER her opening debut at Galaxy's Edge Disneyland. I was there the first week of June eating a ronto wrap when this conspicuous blue haired lady came by and started sneaking around, looking behind her, etc. and I was just completely confused. It was only after my visit that I learned who she was.

6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Books take time.

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I appreciate that, but she could have been in, say, the Star Wars: Resistance cartoon which was in development and on screens well before Galaxy's Edge. Or the Star Wars Battlefront 2 game that came out a while ago. Etc. (this isn't directed at you, just my observations in general)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

On Chapter Four

But dang I'm hooked, I love Vi she's awesome, and Cardinal and her being Collaborators already looking awesome.

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry for the DP

Vi knitting...IS THE BEST...I LOVE IT!

10. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I’m interested in reading this book but first I want to read Phasma because I feel that if I skip that one I won’t get the whole sense of the story.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If this gets the Phasma novel a bit more attention then that's good.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    What's Dr. Harter Kalonia up to and why is she there?

13. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Tears of joy, absolutely.

KerkKorpil, Jedi Ben and Senpezeco like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for clarifying.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It’s timed pretty nicely with the Florida opening.

It also wasn’t really a surprise — I think we knew about the book (and had the cover art) before the park ever opened in Anaheim.

Of course, only a small segment of the audience probably follows all the publishing news etc like we do but there was definitely word about her.

And also? If you visit the park first and learn about Vi second, that’s still a way to find out a cool backstory for that character that you saw at the park.

Daneira, KerkKorpil and sidv88 like this.
  16. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    So, Vi spends her first few days on Batuu in absolute sticker shock and her droid calls into question the “overall quality of the goods on this planet.”

Well played, Dawson. ;)

17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Does Pook remind anyone of
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    About half way through this, it's been ok so far. Phasma was better though. tbh I was hating the first few chapters they just seemed peak young-adult (which the whole book probably is tbf) but it's definitely picked up.

The main character annoys the hell out of me though. I'm getting Corran Horn vibes from her, in that she's great and cool and everyone else is awkward around her but she is always right and always has the moral highground etc., and doesn't seem to have any negative qualities or traits. Except even worse because at least Corran was more than a bit arrogant and admitted to being unfairly judgemental at times. The juxtaposition of the poor, weak, socially awkward former First Order guy as her co-lead makes it even more noticeable. Just not my favourite type of character.

I'll withhold final judgement until I've finished but I don't hate it in general so far

edit: oh and yes it definitely reads like an advertisement for the theme park, but still works as a story IMO

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  19. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    So I need to read Phasma first before I read this? I heard Phasma wasn't very good?

20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    You don't need to read Phasma but it would definitely help. The 2 main characters come directly from that as their backstory.

I thought Phasma was pretty decent. Didn't feel very Star Wars-y IIRC but had some interesting elements.

21. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Really? I thought the reception to Phasma was generally positive with the only real problem being that it set her up to be an important character in TLJ when she really wasn't.

Anyways, I'd suggest reading Phasma first, as it sets up Vi and Cardinal, the main characters of Black Spire. You're going to feel like you're missing out on their backstory if you don't read Phasma first.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In terms of an origin story for Phasma, it ain't great, but outside of that and for everything else, it's a surprising little book. It's probably the most attention the FO has gotten so far.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just got this and A Crash of Fate in an Amazon UK delivery. Does it matter which order these are read in?

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Haven't yet read Black Spire but think they work as parallel tales, with BS covering a longer timespan than ACoF. So no, I don't think it matters.

Apparently Black Spire is set after Resistance Reborn, which might influence your decision.

25. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I'd read Black Spire first, because something that gets set up in that novel is already there and plays a part in A Crash of Fate, and so that would be the chronological order as well I'd guess.

LAJ_FETT likes this.