main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jan 31, 2019.

1. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Finished Black Spire last night, like Alphabet Squadron it took me a little while to get into it, but I ended up loving it. It was great to see Vi & Cardinal's characters return from the Phasma book, and I really enjoyed their relationship in this story.

I can see the point about the epilogue, but it didn't bother me, and overall the book made me want to go to Galaxy's Edge even more (something I didn't think possible), which I guess is mission accomplished for the publishing team.

Oh and
    my favorite character was Kriki, how could anyone not love her?

2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I haven't gotten this book. I read Phasma & liked it but I don't recall her in it. This does sound good though. I preordered the Carson TROS so I think I might read Resistance Reborn, this and then that book.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I just finished this novel and I enjoyed it. All of the characters were entertaining and I was gripped to the story from beginning to end. I like how author Delilah Dawson gives many of the female characters in her stories a moment to shine; even down to a female stormtrooper.

I know the novel's setting is the basis for Disney's new SW attraction; but I wonder if she'll be writing a follow-up novel to complete what would be a trilogy. I'd certainly put it on my radar if she was.

4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I just finished this book today and liked it more than I thought I would. Initially when it was released I thought....huh a park tie-in, I don't know. So I put it off as I did a lot of books (hence the catch up this year) but I found Vi to be a complex and interesting character. I hope we see more of her in Canon. Archex was really compelling as well. The others were good additions to Canon. Zade, Ylena , Savi, Kriki. Savi's particularly interesting and might have an interesting backstory.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    According to Deliah S Dawson, the paperback version of Black Spire is to come with a new short story. The tweet is here, but seemingly missed the announcment.

does anyone have any more information on it?

6. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Official announcement of the paperback with a new short story that's really connected to the Phasma book!

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    It has also been confirmed that the digital copies will be updated with the new short story.

Daneira and KerkKorpil like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well now I need the paperback.

Grumble.

I wasn't a fan of when Legends did this...

Eh. I love Vi so whatever...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Jedi Ben and KerkKorpil like this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm glad this is the case, because I already have the Black Spire Kindle book, and I wasn't going to buy another Black Spire Kindle book.

10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    not the first time canon does this sales trick...

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My wife is now abusing me for having lost a battle in our eternal war.

Softcopy vs Hardcopy.

*shakes fist at Disney*

Curse you!

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've gone native Sinny, remember: Paperback vs Hardback, none of this American rubbish.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Hardback all the way.

But my wife is a lover of the electronic copy - which would have been automatically updated with the new story.

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I just checked my Kindle version of Black Spire and the short story isn't there. I even archived it and redownloaded it just to make sure.

I'm American, and I say paperback and hardcover. I've never encountered the term "softcopy" (aside from Sinrebirth's post) and "hardcopy" I've only heard used as the opposite of a digital file.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    My Kindle copy has the short story in it now. For me, I had to go to My Content and Devices, find the title, and there was an option to send an update. I did that and it updated my copy, to the new cover with short story edition.

Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Softcopy for digital version, hardcopy for physical copy, split between softcover and hardcover.

That’s how my brain works it would seem.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  17. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Looking like crazy for the update and it turns out I only got the audiobook.

Mario
    @Korpil

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "And I'm not melancholy. I'm realistic."

Read this just before ROS came out. Was looking forward to it as a sort of holdmeover until I could visit GE in person (because I was likely going to end up visiting both GEs in 2020... alas, alas...) and was curious to see Vi's transition from Phasma narrator to GE featured character.

I enjoyed the characters quite a bit- Vi is fun and it was also nice to have follow-up on Archex as well ("the Hux Worm"). Kriki the Chandra-Fan was also a very welcome member of the cast. And Pook makes for a great addition to the class of featured SW droid companions. Including when his rear end had been polished to a shine by Mubo.

[​IMG]

The first quarter-to-third of the book, however, indulged too much in the Disney Wrld Travelogue tie-in aspect of the title, feeling like a guided tour promoting the Galaxy's Edge park than an organic part of the story. There is an upside to that, in that it does give you the lay of the land pretty clearly- and, well, I did say I was reading it (at least partially) as a holdmeover for visiting the actual park and this stretch of the novel certainly fulfills that function (of course the book came with a map which also helps). The book does move on from there eventually.

The FO threat felt a little underwhelming here, though. Like, we see how relentless the FO can be going after the Colossus with barely-related-to-the-Resistance people aboard. You'd think they'd be a bit more set on controlling Black Spire. Felt more like the scenario of a local official dealing with them derned' kids, with Vi managing to keep her identity a secret coming across as a little bit of a stretch or plot-luck. But a little of that comes more from Vi's kinda swashbuckling energy and persona in treating danger, so that's not entirely a fault, jst a tonal choice.

"And if a rancor ate him- well, then she'd know there was a rancor in the area."

I really did enjoy the Indiana Jones aspect of solving (or surviving) the cave system's booby traps. Its a cool origin for a base location. And the overall premise of having to reacquire stolen supplies and communication equipment else be stranded or captured is pretty solid (in retrospect, it now is mirrored by Chapter 2 of The Mandalorian!).

It was also an amusing coincidence to see the word "dross" appear in this book. AFAIK, I'd never encountered that word before reading Resistance Reborn ("Dross Squadron") and here we are, encountering it in two different books by two different authors set in the same universe, essentially set back to back in the same in-universe year span of time.

So, fun characters, a light tone, a couple standout sequences, but kind of a wobbly premise that has a slow, overtly tie-in-feeling first act. I didn't dislike the book but I also don't see myself having a lot of motivation in wanting to revisit it.

6.0/10

Ranking NU Adult Novels (so far):
    -The Last Jedi 10.0
    -Catalyst 9.5
    -Resistance Reborn 9.5
    -Last Shot 9.0
    -Canto Bight 9.0
    -Alphabet Squadron 8.75
    -Lords of the Sith 8.5
    -The Force Awakens 8.5
    -Phasma 8.25
    -Bloodlines 8.0
    -Aftermath: Empire's End 7.75
    -Aftermath: Life Debt 7.5
    -Tarkin 7.0
    -Aftermath 7.0
    -Galaxy’s Edge: Black Spire 6.0

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've started reading this and the visuals are really hilarious. I forgot what a Blutopian was so I was imagining Oga as Lady Valarian with Cthulhu's head. With the voice of Aughra from Dark Crystal. Looking up "Blutopian" after several chapters ain't gonna change my mind on this.

And that shark-man. This is just endless amusement. "Nice girls didn't get dragged out of bathrooms by sentient sharks." And trying to visualize the scene where Vi is getting driven around by shark-man in a speeder and then shark-man has to slow down because the farmer boy gets in their way and shark-man's all in a tizzy.

This is certainly a 180 from the tone they were going for in Phasma.

20. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I've only just started reading this and while the book isn't too bad, it feels like the writing just isn't grabbing me as much as I'd hoped. For a book of this sort to grab me, the premise has to be compelling and believable as a dilemma. But they've crashed on Batuu with no means of communicating with the Resistance and literally on the same page Archex makes reference to his tracker bracelet conveying their conversation back to the Resistance.

Don't they think they could... I dunno.. communicate through the tracker?