main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Star Wars in Newspapers and/or Magazines

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by JediJean, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi guyz,

If you see Star Wars being mentioned in any newspapers or magazines sold in Singapore, pls post it here, and let everyone know about it, OK??

I'll start the ball rolling here...

Source: The Sunday Times, LifeStyle section, Pages 6-7.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER... AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

With Revenge Of The Sith completing the Star Wars story and Star Trek's Enterprise series cancelled, is it the end of the golden era of sci-fi? LifeStyle pays tribute to the two pillars of pop culture.

I won't include the rest of it here, 'cos it's way too long... but it's not a bad read... so what do you guys think of it?

Cheers,
    JediJean.

2. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The part that compares the two franchises Star Wars and Star Trek was quite funny, but a bit pointless haha.

And the article by Karl Ho regarding the lost of interest in the Star Wars toys..that definitely strikes a chord with me. I sorta feel the same way too: Way too many re-releases of the same character but with a little variation and different packaging.

:(

3. aanakin

aanakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2004
    hmmm,i tink the reporters/jornalists were a little bit "bad" as:
    1)i counted only 2 interviews(star wars fans) about star wars and 3 interview (trekkies)on star trek.
    2) they said with star wars and star trek out of the way...
    3)and all the rest...
    i think im being a little protective here....hehe...
    anyway,
    the "first" magazine has a star wars: ROTS poster and a few articles...long time ago,since u haven't brought up the subject...mind as well bring it up...and after that there was an article in the "straits times" about Reno, the star wars fan...cool huh?hehe

4. JediGenXsg

JediGenXsg Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    guys want to know more go to about this news stuff go check out sgcollect.com.

5. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi guyz,

Check out the Channel News Asia website for this article... Singapore is mentioned in it :)

GEORGE LUCAS REVEALS PLANS FOR "STAR WARS" TV DEBUT

LOS ANGELES : "Stars Wars" creator George Lucas has revealed that Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia may turn their talents to television following the release of the last Star Wars film next month.

The movie effects pioneer thrilled fans by announcing his plans last weekend at the first "Star Wars" convention that Lucas has attended in 18 years, Daily Variety said.

The sixth and final episode in the series of movies that Lucas launched in 1977, "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," is due to hit US screens on May 19, leaving many fans anxious about the fate of their heros.

But Lucas revealed at the gathering of hard-core fans in the midwestern US city of Indianapolis that his company Lucasfilm is working on two television shows that would keep his famed series alive.

Both series will be set in the years between the end of "Revenge of the Sith" and the beginning of the original "Star Wars," he said.

One of the shows will be a half-hour 3-D animated programme that expands on the Lucas's existing cartoon "Clone Wars" miniseries.

That show would probably be made in a new computer generated animation facility that LucasFilm is building in SINGAPORE, he said.

The other is a live-action series that would focus on some supporting characters who have been introduced in the movie series.

"We're probably not going to start that for about a year," Lucas, who also created the "Indiana Jones" movie and television series, told fans.

"Like on 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles,' we want to write all the stories for the entire first season all at once," he said adding that he would likely launch the small-screen series and then "step away."

But Lucas stressed that the plans are not official yet and that neither project is close to production. In addition, he has yet to find a US television network to run the series. - AFP /dt

Cheers,
    JediJean

6. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    wah! i hope they need voice actors or something

7. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    Hey, guess what FIRST magazine has in store for SW fans?? May 2005 issue: 4 different covers--Darth Vader, Super Trooper, Yoda and Anakin--as well as the A-Z of Star Wars--all 6 episodes included! 24 pages in total, you guys have to get your copy now...(I sound like a TV announcer, don't I?) :)

Plus it has info about the Charity Premiere at GV.

8. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    tried lookin for it jus now, all the stores i went to sold out sia

9. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    i got all except the darth vader one...so sad *sob*, but have ani's!!!
    anyway, the magazine called "primere"(something like that)has ani on its front cover!Ani rules!:)

10. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Wow you actually bought the different covers of the same mag? The Star Wars segment isn't much..just character bios if I'm not wrong. I only flipped through the mag.

11. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    yeah! i got all the four mag.
    i know they have the same thing inside but the front cover is different...heck! kiasu...:p

12. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Yazid, I think Simply Toys still selling the Premier Magazine as a set. I didn't reserved mine yesterday during a LOTR-Collectors Moot but I think I might today if I can drop by there again. It's on a discount for members anyway. ;)

13. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    For those who have bought the FiRST Magazine - Any spoilers inside? If not, then I can safely buy and read...

;)

14. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    hmm...i don't think there are any spoilers cause padawan_princess(the spoiler free gal) read it. It's not really that much info but if u read it, u will be laughing out loud... :)

15. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    padawan_princess - Confirm no spoilers?

Btw, the latest TIME magazine has a feature article and cover for ROTS. Out now.

:)

16. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    Yep, and has some moderate spoilers in it. Read already.

17. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok. Maybe I'll buy but won't read it yet.

If u read today's papers, there's an ad for the Galactic Burger from Burger King. There are some tumblers to be won or redeemed I think

18. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    yeah, i want all the three!!! Anyway there is also advertisements on the NEWPAPER and in the Reader's digest, on page 81 there is a article about a Star Wars fan and her collections...read it you must!

19. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! I wonder where is most of my SW Collections! :p Like they said, Lost in Storage! ;)

20. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    If you check out TODAY newspaper for May 5th, there's a small advert which says 6 days to The Dark Side. Anybody know what this means?

21. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    The latest issue of Maxim magazine has a Star Wars special section in it, and it's pretty hilarious! Not sure if it's spoiler free or not, I only had a few minutes to browse through it at 7-Eleven the other day... but it has a Singlish version of part of the script in it from ESB, and I could only do so much to stop myself from rolling on the floor with laughter... just imagine Vader talking like some kind of Ah Beng, and you'll know what I mean... LOL! :p

22. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    If you check the papers, now Kellogs and Sony are having promotions for ROTS. The usual buy this, get this, then can claim this blah blah

:)

23. jollyskeleton

jollyskeleton Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    TODAY is publishing a Star Wars special on May 11th, thats why the countdown. Remember to read!

24. padawan_princess

padawan_princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    "TODAY is publishing a Star Wars special on May 11th, thats why the countdown. Remember to read!"

Ohhhh...so that's why they wrote 6/5 more days to the darkside, I thought they couldn't count or something :p

The FIRST magazine has some spoilers (arrrgh!!!) but they aren't really major ones...it's up to you whether you want to risk it or how 'spoilt' you are already. It's mainly them saying "This-and-that or so-and-so is coming out in Episode III this May--go watch the movie" and stuff like that.

And yeah, it IS very funny...

"Lucasfilm is also an affiliate of companies such as THX and ILM. Together they make up the holy trinity of George Lucas' money-spining vehicle"

"Every saga needs a stealing beauty to rip the arteries from the hearts of its leading men"

"Palpatine is the only member of the Dark Side who needs tuition in the way of fashion. He hobbles around in a one-piece black rob that doubles up as his pyjamas."

"Little is known about the villian Darth Maul, except that he is a Sith and he eats Jedi for breakfast. He dresses like a Nazi and shows off his double bladed lightsaber with strength and vigour. It is also rumoured he used to work in the circus."

25. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Sounds more like poor English to me.

Can't wait for the article on May 11th! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.