main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Insider #66

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nom Anor, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *drools over brief segment of the Grand Admirals article*

I...want... :(

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    From StarWars.com:

"Bantha Tracks is a quarterly newsletter that is coming out in addition to the Star Wars Insider," says Lisa Stevens...

Only members of the Official Star Wars Fan Club ... will receive Bantha Tracks, which will be published on the flipside of issues of the Insider.

Does that answer your questions? :)

3. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Yeah I was just confused because the last few issues had it and this one doesn't.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    How much will guys give me if I type up the Grand Admirals section for you?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I don't know what I can offer you, but I'd be in your gratitude for all eternity. How about I owe you a similar favor?

I pay my debts, and then some. :D

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Ok, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll get to work typing. I might get it done tonight, but it might be a long time from tonight. It all depends on how long I can be online.

Either way, it's before newstand issues.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  8. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Awesome article. :D

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    May I just say that I *love* my Insider subscription?

:D

The Grand Admiral article is *great*! It tells of the fate of the Emperor Kadann, and explains away every single inconsistancy regarding cloaking devices in the EU.

TC

10. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words about "Who's Who in the Grand Admirals" in Insider #66. It was written by myself & Abel Pena quite a while back for Star Wars Gamer. Fortunately, the Insider let us salvage most of the piece by running it as a shorter "Who's Who" article.

Most of the Glove of Darth Vader tie-ins came from Abel, and I did the parts relating to cloaking devices. Abel & I are both fans of SW lore. On this piece we really indulged ourselves.

Of the 'dirty dozen,' Abel wrote Grunger, Makati, Syn, Takel, Teshik, and Tigellinus (man, a lot of the Grand Admirals started with Ts) and I wrote Batch, Declann, Grant, Il-Raz, Pitta, and Zaarin.

Dan

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It was a great article Dan. What types of things did you have to cut out for Insider other than the stats for the characters?

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The Grand Admiral article is *great*! It tells of the fate of the Emperor Kadann,

But is it the real Supreme Prophet or the fake one?

13. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Oh boy...

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    The Dark Side sourcebook said the Prophets in the Glove of Darth Vader series were fakes. The real prophets were in hiding,biding their time. So, if there's mention of "Emperor " Kadann escaping from the Lost City of the Jedi, he's a fake :p

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Anyone have any idea of who's writing the stories in #67 or 68?

16. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Hey, Dan, can you clarify something? How much power did the Central Committee actually have?

The entry on Tigellinus makes it sound like they took the Core Worlds, but most references make clear that Isard was in power from "Mandatory Retirement" to The Krytos Trap -- including The Essential Chronology, which you obviously know says that the majority of the fleet remained loyal to Isard and Imperial Centre.

So, what's the deal? How much territory did the CENTCOM control?

17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Mentioned in a throwaway line in the Timothy Zahn novel Vision of the Future, Afsheen Makati is one of the two grand admirals named by Zahn (the other being Thrawn). Makati's life was consumed by hatred for Supreme Prophet Kadann, whom he first encounted when a shadowy Imperial group called "The Secret Order" led the grand admiral to a rebel base on Thila. Kadann overheard Makati's first officer mock the glittering regalia of the Order's members, prompting the diminutive darksider to lash out at Makati with force-lighting and the advice, "Learn to reign in your subordinates, dear Admiral."

After the battle of Ender, Makati remained loyal to whomever ruled Courscant's Imperial City. When Kadann claimed the throne, however, Makati requested permission from Ysanne Isard to hunt down the usurper. Makati delved into Imperial Intelligence's files and located Kadann's embittered pupil Azrakel.

During the Trioculus affair, Kadann became trapped in the Lost City of the Jedi. He escaped with the help of his slave Triclops. However, it was too late. Isard had reinstated galactic freedom of religion, causing the spriitually starved citizens to abandon the necromantic faith of the Prophets. Kadann also found the corpses of his fellow prophets littering thier space stronghold Scardia. While Kadann was aboard, Makati's voice erupted from the comm; "Your 'subordinte' Azrakel was kind enough to help me find you, my Emperor. He doesn`t care for your sparkly dress either." Kadann's reign ended in a torrent of trubolaser fire.

Makati meet his own fate soon after.

If it's the Supreme Prophet from the Lost City of the Jedi that went back to space station Scardia and got killed, it was the fake Prophet.

The means the real Supreme Prophet Kadann is still out there...

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This is certainly a great issue.

What do you all think of Elusion Illusion, the MAS short story? I thought it was pretty cool. Of course, it had three obvious characters in it. :) They all seemed likable to me.

19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    So, the Central Committee of Grand Moffs used fake prophets and a fake Imperial prince. Disra was on the Committee. Is this where Disra got his idea fora fake Thrawn? :D

20. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    What is the main source of info concerning the difference between the fake and real prohpets?

21. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Can we get a summary of Elusion Illusion? I'm at school and can't read my issue for another 2 weeks.

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    What is the main source of info concerning the difference between the fake and real prohpets?

The Dark Side sourcebook.

The GoDV books themselves portrayed the Prophets as charlatans with limited Force skills.

The Prophets in the DS SB were the genuine thing.

23. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thief wrote:
    Hey, Dan, can you clarify something? How much power did the Central Committee actually have?

The entry on Tigellinus makes it sound like they took the Core Worlds, but most references make clear that Isard was in power from "Mandatory Retirement" to The Krytos Trap -- including The Essential Chronology, which you obviously know says that the majority of the fleet remained loyal to Isard and Imperial Centre.

So, what's the deal? How much territory did the CENTCOM control?

You're right -- Isard was in control of the bulk of the Empire. The rest of the Imperial forces consisted of warlords (Harrsk, Zsinj, Delvardus, etc.), little fortress kingdoms (Prince-Admiral Krennel's Ciutric Hegemony), and larger chunks of breakaway territory that essentially functioned as "mini-Empires." This last category includes the Grand Moff Kaine's Pentastar Alignment (in the Outer Rim) and the Imperial Core Systems (in the Core Worlds).

It's this last one, the Imperial Core Systems, that we assumed was largely controlled by the Central Committee of Grand Moffs. After the Glove of Darth Vader series, Isard executes the members of the Central Comittee for treason (as seen in the Essential Chronology) and presumably seizes the last remaining bits of the Imperial Core Systems for herself.

Dan

24. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I really enjoyed the Grand Admiral article. It was much like the Emperor's Hand article that gamer did. Some of them I knew like Thrawn and Zaarin. Can someone who has read the article and is well versed in the EU list all the sources that the GA come from.

Also the Stackpole story is a great treat for fans of his books. Basicaly it's about Aayla Secura and a Caamasi Jedi named Ylenic It'kla. They are asked by Mace Windu to recue a scientist named Ratri Tane from the now neutral Corellia. Which is cool as it makes a reference to the Holonet news story where Garm bel Iblis declared neutrility of Corellia. They go undercover as smugglers. Even cooler is that both Rostek Horn and Neeja Halcyon make an apperance.

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

Also, the fake Prophets were originally set up by Imperial Intelligence to keep the Moffs (obviously a reference to the Central Committee)They must've betrayed her and used the fake prophets to achieve their own ends.

Later, after the destruction of he second Death Star, a fraudelent group revealed itself as the Prophets of the Dark Side. Imperial Intelligence established this ploy to help certain Moffsretain power in the face of the Emperor's demise. They even procured a false Kadann and Jedgar to carry out their plans, citing fake prophecies and using various mundane influences to make these predictions come true. Meanwhile, the true Prophets remained hidden, waiting for asign that they should once again involve themselves in Galactic affairs."

Kadann led the Prophets into hiding, where they stayed , watching and waiting for a sign that the time was right to once again let their presence be known.

In the months following the Battle of Endor, Imperial Intellgence gathered a band of imposters to pretend to be the Prophets of the Dark Side. There was even a false Jedgar proclaiming himself to be the High Prophet. The true Jedgar saw these lies and falsehoods in his dark visions, but Kadann refused to let him leave their lace of hiding to do anything about it.

"Let them pretend",Kadann told him. Their false prophecies will not come to pass, and the time is not yet right for the true Prophets to appear."

And so Jedgar and his Master wait and watch, biding their time until the signs and portents direct a new course of action.

According to the Rebel Era sourcebook, the primary hideout of the Prophets' is a Sith temple on the planet Bosthirda.

They have another one that feels a portion of the Imperial Palce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.