main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Insider #66

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nom Anor, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    A simple solution would be to say that the Emperor recalled the real Prophets to Byss where they died when the Galaxy Gun destroyed the planet. Or maybe they refused to rejoin the Emperor and so he had them all killed. That would take care of the entire Prophet issue.

2. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, we know Makati wasn't concerned with money, because he blew up Space Station Scardia, even though it meant he lost a little prophet.

3. cartographer

cartographer Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    Dan,

Speaking of the Ciutric Hegemony and the Pentastar Alignment, is there any indication as to approximately where these are located? Are there any plans to include these on a official map?

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Pentastar Alignment"

Yes, in the adventure journal issue that it was first discussed, that Grand Moff Ardus Kaine who was tarkin's replacement, had control of the area that Tarkin had control of previously, the whole of the outer rim sector, IIRC.

5. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thief wrote:
    Well, we know Makati wasn't concerned with money, because he blew up Space Station Scardia, even though it meant he lost a little prophet.

Heh heh...

Well, I thought it was funny...

Dan

6. lightsyder

lightsyder Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2000
    ok, i thought i had the whole real/fake prophets of the darkside thing understood but after reading the grand admiral article i must admit i'm a little confused again. ok, Makati used Azrakel to wipe out the prophets from the glove of darth vader series, sounds reasonable. but if these were the fake prophets then why would Azrakel care? he was trained by the real Kadann, not the imposter, right? can someone please explain this? thanks in advance...

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    He didn't know they were the fake prophets? Seems like he just gave Makati the location of one of the Prophets' hideouts.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dan: Was it an accident, or is Grand Admiral Grant's lack of a first name intentional?

If it was an accident, what is his first name?

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Maybe Grant is his first name and he has no last name, like Cher. :)

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'd like to think his first name is Ulysses, [face_mischief].

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pffft... then he wouldn't have gone traitor. :p

12. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    lightsyder wrote:
    ok, i thought i had the whole real/fake prophets of the darkside thing understood but after reading the grand admiral article i must admit i'm a little confused again. ok, Makati used Azrakel to wipe out the prophets from the glove of darth vader series, sounds reasonable. but if these were the fake prophets then why would Azrakel care? he was trained by the real Kadann, not the imposter, right? can someone please explain this? thanks in advance...

Good points, but I'll have to defer to Abel, who wrote the Makati entry. Unfortunately he's traveling through Italy and I don't know when I'll get an answer.

Grand Admiral Jello wrote:
    Dan: Was it an accident, or is Grand Admiral Grant's lack of a first name intentional?

Hmmm...it wasn't really intentional, but now that I'm checking the text of our original unpublished Gamer article I realize we never gave Grant a first name.

There's a couple fun things in the Gamer article that we didn't have room for in the Insider article, such as the names of the Grand Admiral's Star Destroyers (and thus they aren't official). I thought the funniest was Abel's name for the Star Destroyer of drug-user Takel -- the Magic Dragon.

Dan

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I thought the funniest was Abel's name for the Star Destroyer of drug-user Takel -- the Magic Dragon.

Funny. See that's why us EU fans need another great mag. like gamer.

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Magic Dragon! This is bringing back memories of Meet the Parents. That s a funny movie.

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Pffft... then he wouldn't have gone traitor."

US Grant, haha. He just would have become a political leader based totally on spoils and his heroism and been blind to the Moffs (or whoever) creating monopolies and scandals behind his back and his unseeing eyes.

16. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

Well, I'm sure this is coming fairly late, but I've been living in Italy for the last half year, so I'm only able (heh heh) to address the thread now.

First, thanks for the kind words from all and the votes of confidence from Mavrick and Wedge 88.

Regarding the Prophets/fake prophets, it was my intent that the Kadann that was killed by Makati was indeed the one from the GDV series. As for why Azrakel would care about eliminating this Kadann is simply that he did not know he was the fake one.

Take care,
    Abel

17. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everybody

I'm a little late jumping into this thread too. Abel - Hope you enjoyed your stay in Italy. Welcome back! I'm really glad everyone here seemed to enjoy the Grand Admirals article in Insider. Next to the Wraith pilots feature in SW Gamer #9, this was one of my favorite Star Wars articles to illustrate. Plus it's always a blast drawing for storyteller pros like Dan and Abel.
    I'd actually love to do more Who's Who's for Insider, just have to convince my art director I'm the artist for the job. I know there's some more the in pipeline but know sure when they will be scheduled or for what issues.
    So did everyone enjoy my GA artwork? Any favorites? I hope everyone is digging my artwork for HoloNet News each issue too. If anyone wants to see my artwork from that issue online (especially my HNN work since it's usually printed small in the feature) or from any of the subsequent issues so far you can check it out in my
    Star Wars Insider Art gallery at my official site.
    Take care everybody!
    -Joe

JoeCorroney.com

18. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Abel- I just realized my other favorite piece to illustrate in recent memory was your 'Emperor's Hands' article in Gamer #5. How could I forget that to mention that one? ;) Especially after our process of designing Jeng Droga and convincing Dave Gross we could have Mara and Lumiya battle it out. That definitely was one of my favorite projects so far too.
    -Joe

JoeCorroney.com

19. Tremayne

Tremayne Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    :D

Joe:
    I love your art. I admire the stuff on your site more often than I have a good reason to do so, in fact. It was neat how you gave the Grand Admirals littles details to capture their personalities (ie. Pitta holding a blaster, Syn wearing that necklace, Tigellinus with the shot glass, Takel's crumbled uniform, etc.)

Abel:
    The GODV references were excellent. It's cool that someone finally tied all those loose ends up. Grunger was awesome. It always suprised me that he didn't use his fleet to muscle his way into the throne. It's especially fitting that he'd try it after failing to do so politically.

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    "Abel- I just realized my other favorite piece to illustrate in recent memory was your 'Emperor's Hands' article in Gamer #5. How could I forget that to mention that one? Especially after our process of designing Jeng Droga and convincing Dave Gross we could have Mara and Lumiya battle it out."

My projects tend to be very fanboyish, and Joe is a tremendous fanboy. We work great together, really synergetic.

"Joe:
    It was neat how you gave the Grand Admirals littles details to capture their personalities (ie. Pitta holding a blaster, Syn wearing that necklace, Tigellinus with the shot glass, Takel's crumbled uniform, etc.)"

Joe is very conscious of how his characters appear in illustration. They are never doing nothing, not even stuffy grand admirals. Notice, too, how every Hand in the Emperor's Hands article is doing something with his or her hand/hands. (Save Blackhole who was originally supposed to have a Sith sword. The original sketch can be seen at Joe's website). Joe always brings a lot to the table as an illustrator.

"Abel:
    The GODV references were excellent."

That's one way to put it. ;) Really, though, I'm glad you liked them, Tremayne. It's always fun filling in the gaps and sprinkling links.

"It's cool that someone finally tied all those loose ends up. Grunger was awesome. It always suprised me that he didn't use his fleet to muscle his way into the throne. It's especially fitting that he'd try it after failing to do so politically."

I always try to do what makes the most sense logically when cleaning up continuity, but logic isn't the only factor that has to come into play: story content, editors, and whimsy also have as great, or greater, an influence. It's always fun seeing the finished product and the influence of all the hands that've touched it.

Take care,
    Abel

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Now Abel, since you tied Triclops into the article, and gave a little more of an idea what he was up to at the end of the GODV novels;
    A few more things that you should do is tie Ken into some history, in a future article, as well as having the empire attack Yavin(Isard involved?), breaking up the POTDS wedding, forcing the heros to have to leave the planet in a hurry. That way you can tie up even more loose ends in the story, ;).

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    "A few more things that you should do is tie Ken into some history, in a future article, as well as having the empire attack Yavin(Isard involved?), breaking up the POTDS wedding, forcing the heros to have to leave the planet in a hurry. That way you can tie up even more loose ends in the story."

That...that's beautiful...

Abel

23. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, he didn't say no... ;) :D

TC

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I've actually always wanted to take a shot at the GDV pseudo-wedding in the form of a comedic rpg adventure. I think that's the only way it could ever be pulled off. Perhaps one day when I find the right rpg writing partner and the time.

Best,
    Abel

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, try to get Dan Wallace if you can, :D. His material tends to be really good, and when you two worked together, you came up with some great stuff, :).

Hopefully you can do it soon, so it can finally be fixed into the continuity, heh.

You think you would release it as a WOTC website article, Dungeon/Polyhedron magazine, or some other book?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.