main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Isn't Shameful Anymore!

Discussion in 'Archive: New Films Gusher's Paradise' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Mar 24, 2018.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ever since Rian Johnson blessed the world with the first ever film devoid of any actual flaws we have entered a new phase of Star Wars fandom... one where we can now count on films that we can be assured will be made using only the best possible decisions for each and every character and scene.

I know that I, for one, am delighted that Star Wars has now reached the pinnacle of filmmaking, where the films being released are now so flawlessly crafted that they are the first films literally beyond scrutiny. This is bigly! We are no longer nerds dedicated to a lowly fantasy genre. We are the dedicated tastemakers of a new genre of film which reinvents cinema, entirely: Perfection.

Rejoice with me as we get to cruise on the coattails of a film so perfect that there is literally no room for improvement and probably nothing to discuss aside from how all other filmmakers should probably just burn their cameras. For too long we had to make excuses for why we were adults following a shamfeul, flawed and oft mocked series of films from the late 70s and early 80s. Now, everyone looks at us with awe when we wear our Boba Fett tshirt to social gatherings. Now, we can publicly demonstrate interest in previously underdeveloped, one-dimensional protagonists like Luke Skywalker. We are at the forefront of offering the world characters with actual relatable characterization.

We were all here when it happened. We were all here rejoicing at the release of the world's first truly flawless film. And, now that the film industry has admitted they will never be the same, due to its release, we can say that neither will we.

It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan!

Because, it is the first time we actually ever had any reason to be a Star Wars fan!

Thank you, Rian Johnson, for validating us as purveyors of sophisticated art!

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TLJ.

[​IMG]

All other Star Wars.
    [​IMG]

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I disagree. As I have written in other threads here, I think Rian has reached a level of perfection with TLJ that no other filmmaker will be able to replicate, with Star Wars or otherwise. Which isn't a good thing. What will happen to studios? Film schools? Award shows? It might all be rendered useless.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you think Rian himself will be able to replicate it with his new trilogy? It will be quite the challenge I think. Here is hoping he has it in him.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Star Wars fans in the 1980s:

[​IMG]

Star Wars fans lately:

[​IMG]

GregMcP likes this.
  6. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    We've moved on from just being SW fans now. This transformational picture is a global event with the potential to unite Humanity itself.

Having achieved perfection, I believe the RJ trilogy will be a much smaller and more intimate affair.

I don't think they'll even release it. Rian's job is done.

It will simply be an interstellar event beamed directly out into space via the SETI program in order to unite all sentient species over the aeons as the radio burst of broom boys and porgs ripples across the galaxy for all eternity.

7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    At a family dinner last night, my brother said he saw the movie but didn't like it much.
    "Oh didn't mind it", I said, trying to be as minimal in my response as possible.
    My daughter yelled from down the table "HE SAW IT TWICE IN ONE DAY! HE GOT THREE PORGS FOR CHRISTMAS!"
    I felt so proud at that moment, and proceeded to explain what a Porg was, and why all of my brother's complaints about the movie were wrong.
    He was properly scolded and now understands why he was incorrect.

9. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    Guys, I don't know about you, but I'm actually getting pretty triggered by all these people discussing "The Last Jedi" as though it were just a movie instead of the life changing spiritual experience it truly is. I suspect these people of being secret haters. Particularly those who keep posting "defences". What are they really trying to tell us, hmmn?

"The Last Jedi" is PERFECTION.

Perfection is its own defence.

I rest my case.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    What I find absurd is any idea that divisiveness equals bad when discussing art.

Johnson pushed things slightly more art house, killed a beloved character after showing him struggle, and basically challenged every character as though the film was the second act of a 3 part trilogy, which it is. Some controversy was inevitable and that’s me ignoring politics entirely and the fact that politically, especially in America, the divide is massive and splits the nation nearly down the middle.

Divisiveness can be a sign of something truly special. A Norman Rockwell painting probably angers less people overall than a Francis Bacon one. They may also have less fans willing to spend millions to acquire one. Radiohead’s Kid A played to a population as large as the Star Wars fandom isn’t going to be universal loved. Heck, play Rashomon for a population the size of Star Wars fandom as an experiment and I bet at least a third would turn it off before it ended and want to watch something else if given the choice.

On rare occasions great art is also universally recognized as such and when it happens it’s magical. The OT did it. Shawshank Redemption did it. Casablanca did it. The Godfather did it. Toy Story did it. When it happens it’s incredible because it’s hitting the sweet spot between art and accessible entertainment for the masses but when it can’t happen then the ones that do better over time are the ones whose directors aimed a little more art house and psychological and the ones that don’t are the ones that tried to be everything to everyone and failed at it in a paint by numbers way.

The Last Jedi and the Shape of Water (7.4 and 7.5 on IMDB respectfully) will benefit from aging and reassements that champion their quirks and themes. Something like Jumanji (7.0 on IMDB at present) likely will not.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Stop trolling.

The Last Jedi does not need to "age". It arrived in a delighting perfect form which is universally beloved and has given sight to the blind and caused the crippled to walk in select screenings.

12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Sorry. Was thinking more so of the unfortunate trolls out there who actually and rightfully love TLJ deep down but who are still in their” rebellious teen Stars Wars troll phase when deep down they know it’s impossible to hate Kennedy or Johnson.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think that was the 3D and IMAX showings.