main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Jedi (Fallen Order, Survivor) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glitterstimm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  2. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I have played all the SW games since Nintendo and there has only been one really good game which needs no introduction. Too bad there can never be another KOTOR. No matter what they do it will be weak sauce only good for super deep discount on PlayStation plus in a few years.

vw_jedi likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With all the remasters in recent years, I'm surprised they haven't done KOTOR.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Has potential.. lol

5. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    When I heard about it all I could think was here is another The Force Unleashed, a story destined to be retconned by 2025 give or take a year.

There just isn't any room in my mind for Jedi after Revenge of the Sith. The story is that Obi Wan and Yoda barely survived the purge and went into hiding until it was time to pass on their teachings to Anakins offspring. That negates Ahsoka, Kanan and what's his face from Rebels.

That was always the go to for non Lucas SW to have Jedi hanging out all over the place. That was the problem I had with Dark Empire and the Zahn trilogy. It often contradicted what was told on screen. I didn't watch much of Rebels for this reason. To me, A New Hope was named so because the Jedi were all but extinct. That is what makes Luke special. He is the Return of the Jedi and an answer to the Dark Times. But current canon puts him in line with other Jedi running amok, regardless of what they call themselves. He is not special for any other reason than he is still alive by ROTJ.

So a video game following some instrumental Jedi Knight who bites it just in time for Luke to save the day is less than useless to me. And if it has inquisitors then no thanks. I cannot see Vader or Sidious bothering with force adepts under any circumstances. The rule of two is absolute. Any other disciples would encourage competition, rivalry and treachery. Sidious knew this to be true, that is why he ordered Dooku to kill off Asajj Ventress and why he personally went to Mandalore to take down Maul.

Someone else posted this and it has been uttered many times before since 2003: we want more Knights of the old republic on console as a standalone game. Unfortunately, Bioware is not what it once was in regards to gaming. The Old Republic was so sad it was free and Mass Effect Andromeda bored me so bad I never got off the first planet. I actually tossed it in a pile of unwanted games *(right beside Arkham Knight, Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Battlefront) in favor of COD Infinite Warfare. I know that the writer was strong for the original KOTOR , but his Darth Bane books made me never want to hear from him again.

So what is to be done you ask? Full stop. Wait until someone comes up with a great, unique time period for a SW game that neither continues the old republic, prequel, classic or sequel eras.

6. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    I want a game that recovers the combat mechanics of Jedi Academy. KOTOR has good story and characters, but its gameplay is bad. Mass Effect: Andromeda is the most similar to a modern Jedi game as vanguard and is a very good game, with a decent story that brings good ideas and the best gameplay of all the saga.

Darth_Furio and Prime Jedi like this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    KotOR's gameplay isn't bad. It's a turn based RPG, not a hack and slash combat game.

8. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013
    Yes it's bad, another thing is that you like it. It lacks the freedom that makes a good gameplay. You can not jump at any time, you can not shoot if there are no targets, and so on.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    KotOR's gameplay... isn't great. The combat is a lot more fluid than, say, the earlier Final Fantasy games, but lacks the improvements of later Bioware games like Mass Effect. It's not really a true Turn-Based game, but it isn't real time either. However, I don't really think it matters all that much. The gameplay is the single least important aspect of KotOR. It just serves as a way to keep the player engaged between dialogue.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Mizore likes this.
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, some people might game the approach in Mass Effect an improvement, other would call it dumbing the whole thing down. On the one hand you get something more fluent and active, on the other hand you get a mix that is neither allowing for active actions nor "turn-based" gameplay, as you can't aim and shoot yourself and have gameplay be driven by dices at the same time, one of those two would always be fake or at the very least gimped drastically.

I have no idea what jumping or shooting without targets would have to do with good gameplay. I don't see any freedom in that. Those things are entirely irrelevant and minute details at best, especially in an RPG. There is little bad about KOTOR's gameplay. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but that isn't the decisive factor for whether something is good or not. Not that the gameplay of KOTOR is what makes it so great, you are completely correct about that one @Outsourced , it's the least important aspect of the game.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  11. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    I'm excited for this but with everything EA and Lucasfilm has done in the past couple of years, I am trying to temper my expectations.

12. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Just skip playing the game and go right to the part about your ruined childhood. Save money that way.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    I'm made of money so that is of no concern to me.

14. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    With a log in name like that I assumed you'd have a sense of humor.

What is your concern then? Why are you tempering your expectations? While it is EA, it's not a developer that worked on either BF game. Clean slate and all that.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    I've been burned by both Battlefront's and The Last Jedi. It is getting hard for me to trust anything Star Wars. I don't wanna get my hopes up again just to see them smashed.

But I'm sure I'll be buying this on release day.

16. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013
    Of course it has to do with a good gameplay, because it gives you more freedom, freedom to shoot or not, to move an object at a distance or not, etc. And RPGs are games, so the gameplay must be a capital part of them, if you're not interested in gameplay, then there are other more appropriate arts as novels.

17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    This is also a last throw of the dice for EA, otherwise I'd like to see more developers make Star Wars games.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Making decisions in conversations and situations, solving puzzles, exploring worlds, strategic combat. Those things are the main part of the gameplay of a rpg. Action combat gameplay is something that has come into RPG video games, but that doesn't mean that traditional RPG video games should all have action combat like Mass Effect.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Now I'm the one not interested in gameplay? Take those childish insults elsewhere. You're the one who is ignoring the core tenets of gameplay and think tiny parts of it are somehow the key.

jumping around and shooting random stuff most definately does not define gameplay. The amount of games where you can do that is miniscule compared to the number of games that exist, and in even less of them is it an integral part of the gameplay. Maybe look in the mirror for once and think before you insult others, if you think that tiny details like that are what gameplay is about.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  20. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    I like both The Force Unleashed games, so I'm sure I'd be enjoying this one too. I do feel the time period has been overused as it seems everyone wants to tell their own 'Jedi who survived Order 66' story but so long as the characterisation and interactions are good, I'm sure I'll be enjoying it.
    In terms of gameplay/control, I could see a defence/offense style of play where where you have basic attack and basic block on the triggers with special moves in either category on the face buttons which activate while either of the triggers are held down. Offensive/defensive Force moves would be on the shoulder buttons, with the same way to activate special moves.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I know people don't like open world games that much anymore but, for me, an open world Star Wars would be a freakin' rabbit hole that I would happily go down and possibly never return.

heels1785 , Zer0 and vw_jedi like this.
  22. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    I would as well. Not to mention, look at the success of Horizon Zero Dawn last year. Clearly there is an audience for open world games provided the game offers something interesting.

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Word is that Project Ragtag, Visceral's old game, is being retooled into an open world title by EA. For this game, i'm hoping for a linear campaign ala Titantanfall 2. We know the team can pull off a great single player experience. If they can do that, but with Star Wars, i'll be happy.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  24. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013
    I have not insulted anyone and I do not consider those elements to be tiny, because individually they seem small, but if you are removing more and more and in the end you are diminishing the gameplay.

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Your sentence here..
    ...could be seen as insult.
    @Oissan was talking about traditional role playing games where action and the ability to jump and shoot at whatever you want are not important gameplay features (and if implemented arguably dumb down the RPG). Your reply implies that you think anyone wanting to play a traditional, turn based RPG like KotOR should just go read a book instead.