main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Jedi (Fallen Order, Survivor) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glitterstimm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    RPG refers to being able to choose different roles, so it has nothing to do with turns and does not have to be simplified if elements of action are introduced.

KOTOR gameplay is outdated and I do not want it in Jedi Fallen Order. This seems like it's going to be a action and adventure game, and I hope it has a combat system similar to Jedi Academy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    chrcharcor2 likes this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This... Isn't really right. Role Playing Game doesn't literally mean "A game that lets you choose different roles". It defines a game that is similar in style to a traditional pen and paper RPG ala Dungeons and Dragons where you assume the 'role' of a character and can act out his story in whatever way the player sees fit. This is especially relevant for games like KOTOR that literally simulate dice rolls in combat like a tabletop rpg.

Now, what constitutes an RPG has been kind of muddied ever since it's inception, but KotOR does fall pretty squarely into that genre.

To kind of add on to all of that, while I have some issues with KOTOR's gameplay, some genres are definitely better suited to slower turned based combat. RPGs being one of them. Now games like Mass Effect get away with having third person shooter elements, but it could also be argued that ME as a whole has lost quite a bit of its RPG roots as the entire series pivoted from a story focus to an action focus, but that's just getting off topic.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  3. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    But I do not accept that definition because there can be RPGs that do not follow the tradition of Dungeons and Dragons.

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It's not about following the 'Tradition' of Dungeons and Dragons. It's about assuming the role of a character and acting said character out in whatever way the player wants like they would in a Pen and Paper RPG.

And, again, it's often pretty muddy what games constitute RPGs. Some people consider Fallout 3 to be a RPG, while others don't. That's just the nature of the genre.

5. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I guarantee it

6. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I am a little nervous about this game because like many of you have said alot of the star wars games get cancelled.

7. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I hope there is alot of depth to the game and I don't beat it in a couple of days like the force unleashed and a few other Star Wars games. I can definitely go without paying $60 for 3 days of entertainment. That's one of the main reasons I liked KOTOR. It was hours upon hours of gameplay and you could go back and change your path, play again and be just as entertained.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Meh, Platinum is one of my favourite development studios. Most of their output consists of shorter, linear action titles. To me, value isn't the length of my first time playing a game, it's how satisfied I feel after putting the controller down. If a game satisfies me after a five hour play through, then it has a lot of value for me, as I'm more likely to keep it for future play. That's why a short, sweet experience like Bayonetta has inherently more value to me than one of those open-world titles that stick to the Ubisoft template. You can throw hundreds of hours of content at me, but if I find it boring then I'm not going to want to play it.

I didn't like The Force Unleashed. Not because it was a shorter character action game, but because it was a slog to play. While I'm hesitant to get my hopes up for anything published by EA these days, I do have faith in Respawn Entertainment being able to deliver an action based video game that's fun to play. They made Titanfall 2 after all, A.K.A the second best first person shooter of the generation.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    To paraphrase a reviewer I quite like:

"It's better to have a five-hour campaign that I want play twice than a ten-hour campaign that I can barely get through once."

Funny enough, this was in reference to Titanfall 2, which was made by Respawn.

ChrisLyne and Chewgumma like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    If this reviewer is who I think you're talking about, he only gave Vanquish a 5/10 and Breath of the Wild a 7. The man is scum. SCUUUUUUUUM!

(Just kidding, I quite like him too. :p)

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think we're thinking about different people. I was quoting Shammy, the owl boy.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I thought you were talking about Jim Sterling for some reason. I know he's been an advocate for quality over quantity in the past too.

I'll have to give Shammy's videos a watch, because anyone who understands that value is in the fun you have with a game, rather than the length of time it takes to complete it, is alright in my book.

Outsourced likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    "Jim Fu**ing Sterling 'Son" is his proper title.

His Owl.jpgs are on point. I highly recommend.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    In the youtube channel stupenduswave, they've got a video on information on the video game. It appears that bariss ofee is going to be in the game and will cover her story.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Before or after she became a mad bomber?

16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

That should be the video in question. However, I wouldn't exactly consider this information to be trustworthy. He cites Jason Ward from MSW, and I can't find anything from him that confirms it. I've also heard some things about Stupendous Wave that lead me to believe he's an unreliable source.

17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    He’s referring to a tweet by ward during Christmas where he simply says “bariss is a sister. Video game lol”

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    i'ts on reddit jason ward mentions Barris Offe. And Fallen order is perfect for her character to appear in. She'll be the 2 inquisitor and the main villain laong with 9th sister i believe.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The inclusion of Barriss would be enough to at least pique my curiosity. Who knows? Maybe sometime down the road they'll feature a DLC where you actually get to play as her (kind of like playing as Harley Quinn in the Batman Arkham Knight game).

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I bet she won't be only known character we see. we might a few famous jedi like Vos who has been refrenced a few times in Vader's comics. I hope Verla who was with Barren far shows up. I bet we get few cameos as beuse you know star wars. I woud't put it past them to show Ashoka in short cameo role in the ending. Bail im sure showing up.

21. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Yeah that would be cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

22. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Agreed that would be cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I Totally agree

24. dg1995

dg1995 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2019
    I wish they change this game's title, It sounds too generic.(It's like calling Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Good Vs Evil)

Since it's going to be a Jedi action game they should have named it either Jedi Knight 2019 or The Force Unleashed 2019 imo.

25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Too generic? It says exactly what the game is, just as those other titles you mentioned do. You don't buy a game called The Force Unleashed to not even play as a Force-wielder, for example, whereas we already know - even without the small synopsis given - that this one will be about a Jedi surviving after the Order fell.