main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order + Survivor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 9, 2018.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I agree but the problem doesn't necessarily lie with this game but with new canon. Hear me out.

If this game is to have a canon story, then yeah - we basically *have* to have a singular character who looks and acts the same for every player. But... Why do tptb not trust us to be able to empathize with a non-human character anymore? The sequel trilogy has added only humans as main characters (with a few notable alien secondary characters such as maz…), Rogue One was initially supposed to have 2 aliens as main characters and they were changed as to have an entirely human main cast. Even Solo, which is probably the most diverse of the casts of the new films, only gave us Rio - who died on the first mission we see him in. Even the books and games seem to have far less non-human characters in major roles these days. It certainly feels like Disney (and this is my personal feeling...) doesn't believe that viewers/gamers/readers can connect to or empathize with non-humans. It is an interesting (and annoying to me personally as it doesn't feel like the same galaxy in some ways in my opinion) element of Disney era Star Wars that I have been thinking a lot about lately. It feels like aliens are relegated to the cantina scenes of all of these stories, somewhat making them inherently seedier/ less trustworthy than humans.

I am certainly no hater of new canon (I have enjoyed most of it to be honest), but this is something that has been playing on my mind.

Barriss_Coffee, DelRiego and AusStig like this.
  2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Really hiding who she is Douglas . I won't be surprised if the Mask distorts her voice but I see you the bariss reveal will be sweet

kalzeth and DelRiego like this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Should probably quote your post into the Diversity Thread. It's interesting to think about, and I'm sure the fine folks who inhabit it will have some thoughts about it.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: non-human characters

Three words: Mass. Effect. Mordin.

5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Had to be him.

Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Also Wrex, Grunt.... I could go on but I won't.

Yeah it is weird we don't even get a Mirialian or twelik.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As you say there's others but I thought Mordin was the best overall story example.

AusStig likes this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The alien pilot in the teaser might be a significant character in the story.

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I strongly agree that I prefer aliens being actual characters instead of just being exotic looking furniture to spice up cantina scenes. The former method develops the Star Wars universe, the later method creates loads of "this unidentified species was seen for 5 seconds in one movie and never seen again" stubs on Wookieepedia.

But while it's a criticism I'll lob against the new movies, I don't think it's exclusive to the new movies. Col Serra from the PSP game SW Battlefront: Renegade Squadron was originally going to be a Zabrak, but some designers thought players would relate more to a human. ( http://archive.is/BNOLl ). And it says a lot if "human but with some face tatoos and horns on his head" is still too alien. And if you look at the OT, I'm pretty sure Chewie, Greedo, Jabba and Ackbar are the only alien characters who get an actual name and personality. (eh, I'll throw Wicket in there too). Heck, going to legends look at the Prequel Jedi Council (lots of aliens) vs the Jedi Council of Luke's order (lots of humans). It's because even though some council members like Ki Adi Mundi or Plo Koon got character development and side stories later, they started out as exotic looking background aliens. Meanwhile characters such as Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn started out as protagonists of their own stories within the Star Wars galaxy, so of course as protagonists they had to be human.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    my kind of scum and kalzeth like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think Disney has been testing the waters with Rogue One, Solo, and TFA; to see how people relate to aliens.

JediBatman and JediFett10 like this.
  10. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Good point^^^^

Kato Sai likes this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It’s possible we might even get a spin off film or show with alien main character at some point.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've said it again and again, I would love Nancy Meyers to do a Star Wars movie about how hard it is to be a single Twi'lek woman trying to date Humans on Coruscant.

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    And the theme could be here typical upbeat jingle and guitar from “It’s Complicated,” “The Holiday” and “Something's Gotta Give.”

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  14. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    Maybe a Nicholas Sparks style tragic romance amid the backdrop of the war?

15. Crimson_Guard975

Sep 17, 2014
    I wonder if Darth Vader is going to appear in some capacity, he is the Second Sister's boss and teacher, after all. Maybe a Rogue One style cameo, one scene where the Second Sister reports to him, and maybe another where he dispatches a more experienced Order 66 survivor as a warning that Cal isn't anywhere near his weight class.

On the subject of the Second Sister, we know that, like Kylo Ren, she wears the mask just for intimidation purposes and doesn't actually need it to survive... could she be an alien?

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I literally just realized now that the Second Sister is a different person than the Seventh Sister, lol. Similar hats.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    With Ryan Grosling as a Han Soloesque smuggler or a bounty hunter (Bladerunner 2049), and the Twi’lek could be played by Emila Clark. :D

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  18. Crimson_Guard975

Sep 17, 2014
    Sure, why not?;)
    Blade Runner: 2049 had Gosling playing Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution in all but name and voice. Pretty decent range there. And I've always had a soft spot for women with British accents.

JediFett10 and Kato Sai like this.
  19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    We have a movie! Call the Producers.

20. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Emila's already Qi'ra

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Going off this, I think it's the full emotional range they're worried about. Disney can do alien comedy (Guardians of the Galaxy certainly proved that), but the other emotions are more difficult to achieve without seeming comedic or just corny. Unless you start with comedy and work toward tragedy, although that doesn't really work for video games (although it depends on the game -- something like Fallen Jedi seems unlikely to start as a comedy).

When it comes to video games in general, I think it's bogus for anyone to say "we need a white male human protagonist for the majority of players to relate to" (which they have done... and certain people on this forum have used as an argument before). Not just for the RL diversity of game players (obviously), but because there have been successful games without human protagonists. A lot of games in gaming history star animals and anthropomorphized objects. It's the FPS/RPGs that tend to be human-centric, again, because it's easier to make a serious story with a human than with an alien. But "easier" is the key here -- I think it can still be done. It just requires being a little more creative.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Transition from humor to tragedy has been attempted in Rogue One and Solo. What Disney’s next step is to make a SW spinoff or new trilogy with an alien character as the protagonist; perhaps a Twi’lek or a Rodian.

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah it most certainly can be done, and in the process make people relate even more than if the character was just human with the same personality. Case in point

I think sadly when SW does give aliens prominence in mainstream stories it is always sorta a white savior deal, Gungans, Ewoks, Wookies. ME may only let you be human, but is built around every other race being frankly even more important to the larger galaxy with their own depth both political, cultural, and on individual levels. I really really badly want SW to step up on that front cause if DS9 could make space nazis fascinating and develop their race to create some of the most layered characters; I think SW has to force itself to try to do the same

I want a Rodian. They keep being shown as slimy and criminals, or fodder like that one Jedi. Would be great to see an alien that does not look human in the face be treated as a worthy protagonist

24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I want a Rodian Jedi or at least Force attuned. I agree, they get treated as squaller scum, when no sentient has considered if they jusy haven’t had a chance to rise. I mean Luke Skywalker was a farmer, why not a Rodian peddler or janitor who the Force calls to become a hero?

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A-hem:
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order.50049514/page-14#post-55732053
    Yeah, if only we could get a set of characters on the level of Garak, Dukat and Damar. There's been some excellent examinations of Cardassia in the books too, wholly unofficial of course, but it's great stuff and well worth reading. Most of it is by McCormack.

Similarly, anything written by DeCandido featuring Klingons is a must.

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.