main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order + Survivor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I hope so. I felt like it could have had 2 or so more planets

Vialco likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Exploration of Dathomir kinda made up for it I think.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Finished reading Dark Temple just now. Excellent and makes Cere into a far more fleshed out character. Honestly though, FO seems to have had very little wider promotion, Malicos would be great for a comic or dare I say it, even a novel charting his time as a general and subsequent fall, and Merrin could do with at least a one-shot about life without her sisters. Cordova is probably being saved for future games though, as he was never confirmed dead.

MercenaryAce and Golbolco like this.
  4. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    If J:FO were a movie then I’d expect this sort of tie-in MMP like you describe to generate around it, but so far we haven’t had many video games like it in the post-buyout era and they don’t seem to be getting the same tie-in treatment as movies and TV.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We have had Battlefront tie-in novels.

AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Thinking on it though. We had a novel for each BF, but don't think we had comics? Might be that each game got one thing?

Off the top of my head, the 9th Sister is probably the main Fallen Order reference outside something directly marketed as FO. I don't think the Zeffo or a Malicos or Cere cameo or anything have cropped up so far.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Certainly seems that way. BF = books, J:FO = comics and that's all.

8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Alphabet Squadron was kind of a tie-in to Squadrons.
    From an interview with Alexander Freed:
    When I was approached about this project, there was a plan to [have it] be tied in to the TIE Fighter comics on the Marvel side and also with the upcoming [Star Wars: Squadrons] video game, so there was a big sense of what this project was going to be. Lucasfilm and Del Rey gave me this one-page document of, ‘This is all the stuff that’s going on. We want a post-Endor pilot story, and we want the gimmick to be five different kinds of ships, and we want them to be fighting this elite TIE Fighter enemy.’

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A very subtle one. If you haven't played the game and don't know what to look for, you'll miss it entirely in the second book.

I do love how Freed presents the whole coordination aspect as straightforward - here's the plan, your story has to work with these pieces. And they're able to do it on every SW era save one notorious trilogy. The inconsistency is baffling.

Slater, Cynda and AusStig like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Easy

Because it's simpler to give a author marching orders then directors of big budget movies.

I mean heck they don't even pay there authors sometimes ;)

It's the power dynamic of it all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    Vialco likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't give up your day job to be a clown or comedian Jid.

Mia Mesharad and AusStig like this.
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    The subtlety of the connection between Squadrons and Alphabet Squadron certainly would have made coordination easier, and even then, the Temperance was a Nebulon B in one project, and an MC-75 in the other.

Plus, Squadrons has an Imperial character refer to Quell as a defector, when that isn't something they should know. If I remember correctly.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Daneira and AusStig like this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean it's true though.

I'm honestly a bit surprised Story Group does have as much control over the Video Games side of things to be honest....I've always placed them 3rd above TV and Movies.

But from what everything I hear Lucasfilm is VEEEEEERY particular about things being in Video Games these days. So I'll wonder how that will shake out as the license is no longer exclusive.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Lots of things are true Jid, doesn't make them funny and OK, like screwing authors over on contracts.

As to games, consider how much cash +10m sales of this game brought in, it's likely more than TV or movies.

AusStig likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I know nothing on games sales and how they compare so maybe it's more lucrative business.

Honestly I wished Lucasfilm were less controlling of games...go nuts with them.

I could care less about Force Unleashed from a lore and story front but the gameplay is fun and who wouldn't want to be a uber powerful force user at least from a gameplay mechanic.

Makes for more stylized games to play.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it's likely not going to be on the levels of billions but RRP of $ / £60, lots of people buy it at that price, lots more buy it with 50-60% off and it's a good chunk of cash when it's over 10m buying.

If anything, the scrutiny adds up as gaming can be very attentive to all kinds of details.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    TFU type game play can fit into the existing lore by placing it in a timeline niche that's open rather than something so well defined as the OT era. Starkiller is tougher to deal with in the lore simply because he's immediately preceeding Luke Skywalker.

Do that type of game play for a game that is both a successor to TFU *and* KOTOR, and I think you have a winning combo.

IG: @jedisufism

18. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and AusStig like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Being on Xbox Game Pass probably helps. I wonder how Squadrons is doing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

20. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Crazy to think how much gaming has grown. In 2006 KotOR (released July 2003) had sold about 3 million copies, and in early 2010 TFU (released September 2008) was at roughly 7 million copies sold, if the numbers I've seen are correct.

Golbolco and Dawud786 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Exceptional Fallen Order lore location designs in this week's episode of Bad Batch

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which just so happens to match neatly to the release of XBX and PS5 versions of Jedi: Fallen Order.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  23. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Fun thought I had, for the sequel we should be able to play as Merrin (who discovers she’s force sensitive) well she trains to be a Jedi, could be pretty neat to be Abel to use night sister magic as well as the force.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Nightsisters are force sensetives.

25. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020