main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Star Wars meets Studio Ghibli

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My apologies if this belongs in another topic. I saw this link and just had to share it. I'm a huge fan of the Japanese animation company known as Studio Ghibli; as I know some members (and mods) are in the JCF. This was just released a few weeks ago, that an older film from the studio, "Only Yesterday", will be rereleased to Western audiences next year with English dubbing for the first time. And the two female leads will be voiced by Ashley Ecstein (Ahsoka) and Daisy Ridley (Rey in "The Force Awakens"). I already have an international copy of the movie on DVD, but still plan on at least seeing it in the theaters when it's released next year.

http://www.themarysue.com/star-wars-actresses-only-yesterday-ghibli/

2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Ah, I remember that movie. It’s a bit weird to see is dubbed though. I remember it being quite a realistic portrayal of contemporary Japanese culture and way of thinking.

Still, it’s good see Star Wars talent in Japanese works. I’m still hoping to see someday a Star Wars anime.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Studio Ghibli usually gets very good dubbing actors; making the movies watchable if you choose the dubbed or subbed version.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That sounds pretty amazing. I'm hit or miss on some of Ghibli's earlier stuff, but at least I can be certain that it'll look very very pretty. :D

Sent from my brain using magic

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    heh, the mary sue and their's Tano.[face_cowboy]

I never heard of "Studio Ghibli".

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I figured you'd appreciate this especially, considering the Miyazaki quote in your sig.

7. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    This may be one of those rare instances where I'll actually check out the dub.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

It's not your typical animated movie by any stretch. It features adult themes where a single woman living in Tokyo daydreams about her adolescent life as she's been invited to visit her sister's family in the country.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  10. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Ahsoka's Tano

I'll delete the other thread for you. But anything on Daisy Ridley should really go into her official thread.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    This movie features both Ridley as well as Ashley Eckstein as voice actors, so I figured it could fit in this forum.

12. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Alright. But don't post anymore single threads for each article on this movie okay? Keep it here.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Will do. You can delete the other thread as well. I'm seeing the movie today for a special screening in NYC. That's why I wanted to talk about it again.

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010

Find and watch the film "Spirited Away". Do it now.

15. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Or "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Princess Monoke" or "Castle in the Sky"

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You're all wrong- he needs to watch Porco Rosso.

Y'know the expression "when pigs fly"? Well this is the film where it finally happens. :D

Sent from my brain using magic

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    While I don't appreciate the "Mary Sue" remark, I will concur that the above mentioned Studio Ghibli films are definitely recommendable. My personal favorite is Nausicaa; which now is billed as a "Ghibli" film, but was released before the company formed in the early 80s. And if you call Nausicaa a "Mary Sue", you obviously never saw the movie.

As far as "Only Yesterday", I was pretty satisfied with the dubbing of the movie. It's not your typical animated feature. There's no fantastic animals. No fireballs being shot out of someone's wrists. It's more like a coming-of-age drama that could've just as easily been filmed as a live action feature film. Daisy Ridley as the lead character completely lost her English accent for the voiceover; which I thought was pretty incredible. Ashley Eckstein had a somewhat minor role; I didn't know who she played until the credits rolled. She was one of the lead character's older sisters.