main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Music---How Important in your view?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by REBEL-JUICEMAN, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REBEL-JUICEMAN

REBEL-JUICEMAN Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2001
    In my mind the Star Wars theme song has as much to do with the success of Star Wars as anything. It is truly a master piece, the entire work
    in the movie is stunning, I feel without that music the "SPIRIT" of Star Wars would never have been captured.
    The Force and all its mysteries are synomonous with the music.

This is what is lacking in many of today's movies, a really good soundtrack.
    Star Wars has what is in my humble opinion the best Movie Soundtrack since it came out, nothing since has come close.

John Williams is truly a genius and a great part of the "FORCE" that left Star Wars having such an indelible impression upon a great many people.

Thanks...

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    It's interesting to listen to how Lucas envisioned the Star Wars films as "silent films"- films whose narrative is told through music. The SW music is very operatic and becomes just as much of the experience as the visuals. It doesn't just enhance the viewing of the film, but stands on its own as a distinct artistic expression of the story.

3. REBEL-JUICEMAN

REBEL-JUICEMAN Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2001
    Agreed!
    Actually if there ever was a perfect match, it was between the music and the movie.
    I can't imagine any other music to that movie, it was like it was meant to be that way, and that type of magic is really special and awsome to have in our lives.
    Thanks

4. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    The music helps make the movie in my opinion. Darth Vader's prescence wouldn't have been nearly what it was ithout the Imperial March behind him...

5. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    As part of a worldcon party (given by Bantam Books at Skywalker Ranch) (wow!!!), I got to watch a layer-by-layer recreation of the sound work for a brief scene from ANH: the scene where we first see Darth Vader, stepping on board Leia's ship through the mist. We first saw it with the sound "as filmed" (knowing the movie as well as I did, this was comical!). Then with rerecorded voices, foley artistry, sound effects, etc. It was impressive at every level, but it didn't "feel" like a movie until the last layer of sound was added: John Williams' music. At that point, it grabbed the gut and wouldn't let go.

This isn't meant to diminish the work of the actors, director, other sound people, or the writers (heavens, we can't diminish the writers! ;) ), but there is something about music that communicates at soul level. Am I making sense? Sometimes it lets us ALMOST comprehend the incomprehensible.

I've got a friend who works in Hollywood as an orchestrator. Sadly, he tells me that music no longer moves him this way. He's very good at analyzing film music -- he could tell by listening to my "Star Tracks" CD which pieces had been written by which composer, not by having the information memorized but by pointing out (for example) the doubling of strings and brass on certain themes. But I don't know if gaining that ability would outweigh (for me) the loss of my ability to FEEL the music.

But maybe that's just me.

6. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Aside from George Lucas's Vision and Ralph McQuarrie's conceptual art, John Williams' score MADE Star Wars what it is today. Without such an outstanding score, Star Wars would probably have been forgotten.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That's how Conan the Barbarian was. The whole point of the movie was to tell the story through the visceral images and the music, hence the sparse dialogue. That's why the movie is underappreciated -- because people don't know what they're looking at, what the point of the thing is.

8. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    Who better to write the music to a Space epic than a Wagnarian? the use of the leitmotife is brilliant, and I can't wait to see how Williams will score the next two.

9. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Lots of things contribute to the magic of SW, but the music really *makes* it. And I can't imagine anyone who could create that music like JW can.

10. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Nietzsche over Wagner.....but John Williams is awesome so whatever works...

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    VERY important. Honestly, I can't think of any other movie soundtrack that, to this day, stops me in my tracks (frequently at Wal-Mart *blush*) or causes my heart to beat just a little faster.

And not just the main theme like in Jaws, ET (well, ET had that lovely piano piece), Jurrasic Park, or Raiders - but all the different themes possess a power of their own. The music itself "speaks" the emotions of the entire saga.

Don't get me wrong, the soundtracks of the other movies mentioned definitely hold their own...but SW seems different, IMHO.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Conan the Barbarian does just that Jedi Trace. And another is the Main theme from 1492.

13. Nemoidian_Boy

Nemoidian_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    This is true, except for in TPM, where the music, like almost every thing , isn't nearly as good as in the OT.

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    IMO, the only person more important to SW's success than John Williams is Lucas himself.

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The music helped give Star Wars a identity. It's VERY important.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Important enough to have it's own forum.

In all reality, the music is a vital part and I do mean vital. Without the music the SW films would not be nearly so good. The whole soundtrack is awesome.

17. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Can't agree with you guys more! Every note just adds so much more to the movies.

18. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Music can make all the difference. I liked X-Men, but I think that film would have been a lot better if it had a memorable main theme like Star Wars, Superman or Batman.

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Was it just me, or did X-men's music sound exactly the same as Usual Suspect's, which was also directed by the same guy.

20. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    In any movie, whilst the acting, the props and the screenplay are important, IMHO no single thing makes or breaks a movie as much as the soundtrack. Case in point: I was watching Hitchcock's "Spellbound" and the soundtrack there too is superb. Whilst the story, in itself, is not very scary, thanks to the music, the smallest details got your heart racing.

The music describes the characters in a way words cannot, and thus the soundtrack is of utmost importance.

21. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    The music describes the characters in a way words cannot, and thus the soundtrack is of utmost importance.

Exactly!

Yoda's theme, Han and Leia's theme, DOTF and the Imperial March all define the tone and tell a story of basic character and underlying attributes.

I believe that Star Wars music currently stands as the last great attempt at a masterful score in a motion picture and continues to do so.

Today we listen to Mozart and the other classical composers, but I can bet that in 100 years humanity will be looking back on JW's work and stating it as some of the most perfect musical masterpieces ever.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Sw wouldn't be the same without the music. I think a poor soundtrack would ruin much. What about the Ep1 trailers? Would they work without the music?
    As for Ep1, think of the Naboo invasion or the duel in the power generator. I remember sitting in cinema for the fourth time and waiting for those scenes to come because it was just so great.
    Or the whole SE-soundtracks. If they only made such a CD-package for TPM...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.