main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Or creating I'm-Gon-Dy to just die...:p

TheMechanical0ne likes this.
  2. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I stand corrected.....and convinced....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

3. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    .....and I look forward to Thrawn's campaign against Mandalore.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

TheMechanical0ne likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Perhaps he'll BDZ the planet?

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    And in all of those examples ... nobody died. And Ahsoka was, as you said, resurrected.
    In the OT, all main hero characters survived. Obi-Wan wasn't a main hero character and the audience knew him for approximately 40 minutes before he was killed by Vader (and even he reappeared as a ghost, so it's not that he's gone forever). Owen and Beru, Greedo, Captain Antilles, Biggs Darklighter, Porkins, Admiral Ozzel and Captain Needa died, but they were all secondary or tertiary characters. Yoda died of old age, but he wasn't a main hero character, he was the wise old master type of role just as Obi-Wan was in ANH. Then we have of course Jabba, Darth Vader and Sheev, but those were all villains (except for Vader in his final moments).
    Rebels has just the exact same track record of killing of its main hero characters as the Original Trilogy.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Han was dead in all but name. Don't forget RTJ hadn't been made when ESB came out. While telling the backstory elevates Obi-Wan to a main character.

It all comes down though to tension. There was tension when you saw Leia and co escaping or fighting the Empire. While the Empire themselves were show to be a big threat. Now there is no tension as we know the whole GC are untouchable and the Empire is a bit of a joke.
    Hell the writers know it too, it's why they had Ahsoka v Vader and Maul v Obi-Wan in the first place, to generate hype and excitement which they know there own characters can't match. Now S4 Filoni is saying he's going to end all TCW stories ! That's pretty much him saying, don't worry keep watching and we will show this too.

7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    What fett 4 said. Nobody specifically needs to die, but the threat of them dieing is important because of tension. To your heroes have such blatant plot armor as to make it out of most of their toughest spots due to some contrivance and to do so with most of their limbs still attached becomes boring after a while. You catch on to the fact that you KNOW no harm will come to the good guys because there's never any threat of it. The Rebels don't have the threat of dying hanging over them, at least none of the ones that aren't redshirts and forgettable wastes of characters. *cough* Sato *cough* The threat of death was constantly hanging over the heads of the main characters in the OT and TCW. That's just not so in Rebels.

fett 4 likes this.
  8. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    So its like the WWE right now, can't get anyone over, so haft to get stars from the past

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  10. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Well he's really saying Thrawn should have 100% won but the team cannot kill off the main characters so he couldn't use all Thrawn's potential.

Filoni: "So we were able to use it to our advantage even though I think fans are always aching for a victory from him. If I had the scale and scope to do it, it’d be great to show side battles that Thrawn is probably winning against other Rebel threats and Rebel cells. Hopefully we can cover that in other material or comics or books somewhere so you’re getting a better view of the character now that he’s in play "

I wish they could do that!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They needed to leave the characters alive, because their arcs are not yet complete

12. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Not all of them. Zeb and Rex are totally useless, and I don't see what we need to finish about their story, there is nothing to tell anymore.

They should at least have killed Rex, just to be a bit credible: it's a WAR, people die in war. It would have been normal to see that old warrior finish his days on the battlefield, sacrificing himself to let his friends escape, for example.

CT1138 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Zeb's down his arc, but I think there is one last thing they can get out of Rex before they can shove him.

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    you're reading too much into it. If Filoni thought it would be the right time for an original cast character to die, they would have.

15. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    In Rebels it seems it's never time to kill any hero, anyway... ("the children would be traumatized if you killed one of their beloved heroes")...

CT1138 and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  16. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    The show is not over yet. Dont be so bloodthirsty :D

17. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    And Dave answered this well in regards to Kallus' fate:
    "Once you say we’re going to turn him and he’s going to act as a Fulcrum, there is a debate about, “Do we kill him or should he make it out.. Should we kill him off?” But it didn’t feel right. It would be pretty sad that this guy that was a bad guy actually turning into perhaps a good guy… Why should he pay a price for that good thought? That didn’t seem like it would be communicating the right story point. You have to be careful now because a lot of people think in storytelling, “We’re going to do what’s not typical and we’re going to go against the grain!” But if the purpose of doing that is because we’ve never seen it before or to be sensational, why are you telling that story? What’s the benefit to killing him off? It would communicate the message that he tried to change and he died and nothing came of it. You’d have to have a purpose for his death. It’s kind of a long answer but it felt like his character could serve more in the future, in a positive way, especially for the viewers watching."

Ithorians and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Zeb could still meet that evil Lasat that Kallus mentioned in S4 tho

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That's a thread I hope they pick up

20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Hopefully. That's something I'd like to see. Especially if Rebel Kallus is there too.

21. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

That would be awesome to see :) Maybe the Lasat could join Saw and his extremists and it could be part of the conflict that happens.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It's be an interesting conflict

23. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I must say, I hate it in shows where, for lack of plot or real drama, they just kill off characters for shock value. Its cheap. 24 did this. The Walking Dead thrives on this. While I do think Rebels needs a bit more narrative consistency in some places (i.e. don't build things up just to drop them in a single episode and focus on something else i.e. Ezra's dark turn or his quest for truth on his parents), I don't think killing off characters is necessarily the way to make things dramatically significant. In a well written show, part of the fun is watching characters grow and develop over time. This goal can be quashed by not developing characters in meaningful or logical ways. It can also be quashed by killing off your cast.

edit: For example, the theoretical Zeb/bad lasat plot. That's good drama. Explore the motivations of characters and potential conflicts (for Zeb, loyalty to your dying race and rebel cause, or higher cause of what is ethical). Nobody necessarily has to die to make that interesting. Same with Trial of the Darksaber, which was all a character study. I want more of this.

Ithorians and TheMechanical0ne like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Rebels is the opposite when characters have gone through the arc they still stick around. Like Zeb

25. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Let me put it this way. I'm not against all character deaths. Sometimes its a meaningful way of showing character development. But it has to feel earned. Sato died in the season finale by sacrificing himself. The orchestra swelled and we are supposed to feel something. But what do we know of Sato? He likes his nephew and....? That scene would have had a lot more meaning had we gotten to know who Sato was and why he was willing to do that. Or, at the very least, if they had connected it to Iron Squadron. Have him gaze out the window to see the his nephew in trouble or something. Yeah, Zeb's kinda had an arc. He found out about his people and rediscovered his responsibility to them. He found the humanity in Kallus. In what way would killing Zeb off build on that? Now, maybe if he died defending Lira San or Kallus that would represent something. But, just killing him out of context to make the stakes higher? That makes any previous exploration of his character pointless.

Kaitan ISB021 and Ithorians like this.