main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Star Wars Rebels sequel series (rumors)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Strilo , Jul 13, 2020.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The core Star Wars stories without the political backdrop simply don't work. That's one of the biggest failures of J.J. Abrams' take on Star Wars, if you ask me. He swept all of that under the rug with zero attempt to explore the grander implications of anything that was put on screen - I mean, he made it a point to quite literally blow up the New Republic the second he introduced it. The Last Jedi made more of an attempt to remedy this, especially in the scenes on Canto Bight and the implication that the war is a manufactured construct, but by that point the reductive slate of the Sequel Trilogy was already in place and there wasn't very much that could be done to salvage that aspect.

Even The Mandalorian, an offshoot of the Saga rather than a continuation of it like the ST, is exploring the political landscape better. But anyways, yeah, I do agree that I would like to see more of the actual workings of the New Republic when we do eventually get the proper Rebels followup series.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Star Wars politics done well can be one of its most compelling elements, as it was in ANH. And it's been a core part of the series since the very first film.

Krueger likes this.
  3. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    My one point of sadness from today. :( Will have to see what comes up in the Ahsoka series.

StardustSoldier likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea I have a sneaking suspicion they will be one and the same

Aah Fisto and StardustSoldier like this.
  5. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    That's my suspicion as well. Admittedly there was a part of me that wanted the Rebels sequel to still be animated. Oh well, should still be pretty interesting.

MercenaryAce and Aah Fisto like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am a bit bummed that we are only getting one animated show

7. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Yeah I’m of the opinion that the Ahsoka show is essentially the rebels sequel, which is absolutely fine by me in live action!

Shamear and StardustSoldier like this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The Ahsoka series will be the Rebels "sequel". I also think her Mandalorian episode, with the whole Thrawn thing, was a prologue of sorts. At first I wasn't sure, but now I doubt you'll see her in The Mandalorian again.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s weird that it will only be a mini series or maybe it is just more set up for a Rebels sequel

10. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Bit surprising that the only announced animated series is Bad Batch so far.

Sure, we have A Droids Tale, but that's a movie, and Visions, but that's an anthology and done by external studios.

Wonder if they really revealed everything they're working on or if they still kept couple of secrets for later.

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Since Ahsoka will be a limited series in live action set during the Mandalorian, I'm hoping this mean they didn't scrap the rumored animated Rebels successor series. Why would the search for Ezra happen in a Mandalorian spinoff about Ahsoka? My guess is that spinoff will lead to an animated series. I don't expect any official announcement until the so called crossover event between Mandalorian and its spinoffs.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    But wasn’t the entire first season already animated and ready to be released? Yeah, I think we can safely say KRT don’t know what the hell they’re talking about.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Lucasfilm could be holding their cards close to their chest juggling multiple animated series in development. Bad Batch is furthest in production and it appears that its first season is wrapped. I hope its a case of jumbled info. A story spanning the distance a Rebels Sequel would occupy would benefit from being animated rather than live action.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    black_saber likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Kessel Run Transmissions has released a scoop saying that the planned animated sequel to Rebels may have become the live-action Ahsoka show. they claim they heard Jon Favreau convinced Filoni to do it in the live-action show instead of animation.

They say they have heard Filoni may have been working on the animated stuff when it was canned for live-action.

But they say they have heard Dave Filoni still wants to end Ahsokas story in animation. but they do not know if thats up to date information or whether he changed his mind on that.

15. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So they realized their fake leak was dangerously close to being proven fake so they changed the story and backtracked? Got it [face_laugh]

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The way they describe it doesn't make much sense if they actually do have a number of fully produced episodes of this series if not the entire intended first series. The idea that they spent millions of dollars then have scrapped it entirely would be absolutely appalling planning on their parts. Better to have spent the time and money on making more TCW episodes for the final season (like Son of Dathomir to complete the entire Maul story).

More likely it's something in the middle whereby this animated sequel series is on hold and will be revised in wake of the live-action Ahsoka series being commissioned.

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well the logic is that Disney would see more money in live-action than they would in animated. in which case they might be fine to have a change of plan as they would just make the money back.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    So the Rebels "successor" series will happen in an Ahsoka-centric limited series (8-12 episodes), Sabine Wren as a "recurring" character AND they're going to repurpose scripts from the scrapped rumored animated series which had its first season nearly completed? I don't know how to feel about this honestly. I have a preference for animation so it's a bummer if true.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I genuinely believe this is close to what has happened. They still insist the first season is done. So what, it will never see the light of day? This isn't a Detours situation we have here. I'm sorry, I just find that incredibly hard to believe. They are officially on the same level as SWNN for me: basically, about 90% of what they report on is inaccurate at best, complete guff at worst.

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I been saying for a while, i don't believe there will be a Rebels animated sequel AND a live action ahsoka show. i think its either gonna be one or the other. especially when its clear the Live action ahsoka show is about Ahsoka finding Ezra. even Filoni said the ending of Rebels with ahsoka and sabine may take place after her Mandaorian episode. so what else is there for an animated Rebels sequel to tell? unless its set after her Live action stuff, it can't exactly be set before at this point.

And i also think if they were planning an animated rebels sequel they really needed to get it out before the ahsoka show... and its certainly taking its time. not like it got announced as part of the upcoming projects.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They’re desperately trying to stay relevant in the rumor game but it’s obviously that they have no legit sources. There was no first season that was scrapped in favor of live action. That’s just nonsense. They were wrong. It’s as simple as that.

Riv_Shiel and DarthTalgus like this.
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think people would be stupid to create rumours just to be in the rumour game. because they risk basically being proven wrong time and time again and never being believed ever. making their future in rumour making mute. especially when they are such big rumours and not played particularly safe.

To me thats not beneficial. thats more like self-sabotage. if you have no real sources you trust... then they are just idiots to sabotage their career.

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    They have been proven wrong time and time again tho (Sasha Banks being Sabine, Rex being in Mando S2, getting info during an earnings call, false trailer dates, Ahsoka being in a trailer exlusive scene etc etc), yet they still continue with their scoops. They say they're quitting from doing scoops yet they come back after a while. Either for relevance, attention or just bringing in views to their podcast. They have been proven to be inaccurate tons of times in the past.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Even if they do turn out to be wrong more. i doubt they are doing it intentionally. i think they are being told stuff and they just hope its true.

Shamear likes this.
  25. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Canto Bight was so tone deaf that it never landed I mean Rose gives zero though to child slaves whilst devoting all her dialogue to the horses. Very strange.

Sarge likes this.