main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The ambiguity isn’t whether you perceive his actions to have morality in them (they don’t, he’s going to kill a planet) but whether his individual expressed regret (which I think is genuine based on Lars performance and the pained expression the animators chose to give him) is based on him having moral reservations with the order that he implies came from Palpatine, and is hardening his heart for his perceived greater good, or if his issues come from an intellectual practical resource standpoint that he doesn’t agree with.

It’s really not much different with Maul, whose depiction I also liked I lot. Does he genuinely care about Ezra and want a fraternal relationship with him, or is he still stuck in a Sith mentality of trying to emulate Palpatine and have an apprentice to scheme with? There’s ambiguity in his behaviour. And I think that makes good storytelling.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's all well and good but I like that at the end of the day there is still clearly defined good and evil even if there is the ambiguity in it which i appreciate and feel only TTT and Rebels bring in tears of Thrawn appearance (at least the ones I read which are TTT and the new Zahn books, never had much time or interest in Specter of the Past, Outbound flight, or the others)

Though I'll be interested to see then how Thrawn is potrayed as the Big Bad without a Palpatine around (or at least being involved) to be the ultimate dark big bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2021
  3. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, I certainly hope Palpatine isn’t around this time. Much as I love Ian McDiarmid, I think we need a break from Sheev.

Rebels used him well in their sorting algorithm of villains way and as Ezra’s greatest challenge, but I think they can move on and start creating newer villains. Pryce, the Grand Inquisitor etc are the way to go.

Vialco likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well Pryce and the Grand Inquistor are dead...and I think they are setting up Thrawn to be THE BIG BAD for whatever the big "Event" the Mando and the Spin-Off's shows are.

I mean I suppose if it’s like a duo villain team up between Thrawn and Gideon then Gideon is the more radical of the two maybe ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2021
  5. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I mean in the sense that Rebels created new characters in addition to using the movie villains + Thrawn.

Like, if Thrawn’s the overarching villain and you’ve got Mando S3-Book of Boba-Ahsoka, then who is the villain of those individual series. Gideon seems likely to carry on in Mando, but who is Boba’s counterpart giving him trouble,and is Thrawn the physical threat that’s challenging Ahsoka, or is she up against someone she can defeat in that show that dovetails into Thrawn for the crossover.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I see what you mean lol

to use Marvel I could see Thrawn being Loki in Thor pre Avengers in a sense of Thrawn is the villain of that series and the crossover event. I mean it’s possible they make a villain for Ashoka before Thrawn but I feel he’ll be more direct in that case

although Thrawn can through a punch lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2021
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I was thinking of another marvel film: Guardians of the Galaxy, where Thanos shows up and is important to the story, but the immediate threat is Ronan.

So that way they can have Ahsoka beat that villain and have the show feel self contained, whilst still building up the crossover.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That line is good, but it’s topped by the reprise later on.

And now Captain Syndulla, I will accept your formal surrender. Or you will watch your friends perish, one by one, beginning with the Jedi.

Thrawn waits until he really has the upper hand. When he’s in place to secure their surrender personally. Only then does he make the offer. And he’s ready to take out the biggest threat. The only thing that saves the Rebels there is the deus ex Bendu machina.

9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I like, ''I expectd them to fail, but not so completely.''

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Rebels Thrawn is probarly my favorite Thrawn of the legends/canon he has been in. One of my favorites scenes is when he revealing that Kallus is fulcrum. Some others are his first meetings with Hera, his last scenes with Ezra. I don't think Thrawn is full pure evil character but more morally grey, he be like Maul who has differents sides to his evil ones.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That is also possible, and could make a lot of sense if you wanna save Thrawn for the grand big bad of the "Special Event" series or min-movie whatever.

We already saw Ashoka going against one of Thrawn's "Possible" allies in the magistrate so always possible they make a few more Thrawn allies.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

I like the way he describes it, the TCW is deconstruction of the jedi, anr Rebels is Reconstrction of the jedi with Ezra his love for planet and family.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Sometimes Twitter surprises you still... stumbled upon something today that I didn't know about Rebels and especially Kanan Jarrus.

As revealed in the Rebels Remembered Panel of a past Celebration years ago, abandoned/cut scenes of which they showed storyboards by Dave Filoni revealed that the Lothal Cave murals in the scenes with the Loth Wolves feature not only Jedi (Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, etc.) and a prophecy about a child (Ezra?), but also that an unused scene would have revealed that Kanan Jarrus aka Caleb Dume was actually from Lothal himself, where the Jedi found him!!!

[​IMG]

That should have tied into the Lothwolves and "Dume" and would have brought his life full circle. Also nicely all paralells between him and Ezra are intentional down to the Lothal bit then even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody remember this or knows more about the panel and what was said, as the images have text blurred out sadly.