main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Rebels

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by DieWompRatDie, May 26, 2013.

1. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Omg spoilers!! Just kidding, waiting until Friday night to watch new episodes (got used to that with Clone Wars). Any Star Tours reference is a win in my opinion. Right up there with the Holiday Special references and Wilhelm in the pilot episode.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  2. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    I LOVED the Star Tour reference....it was cute. :) and i liked the ep...tho CP30 just always drives me insane.

3. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, gotta find that spoiler warning HTML tag again...

4. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Overall, I like the show so far. But it has it's quirks that I'm not thrilled about.
    The sometimes over exaggerated physical movements of the characters seems a bit goofy to me, but I think that's because it's supposed to be "lighter" than Clone Wars. Less dark. More for kids.
    Chopper sounds like a fart machine. I hope I get used to that.
    Also, as much as I like the character, Ezra just seems like Aladdin in space. And I think that's intentional. When Kanan called him a street rat, I felt like they were kinda hitting me over the head with it. "Get it? We're Disney now!! GET IT!?!"
    Yes. I get it.
    I'm just glad they didn't start singing. [face_relieved]

QueenHighMistress and nnaydolem like this.
  5. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    APR...i thought the EXACT same thing...now i am singing that dang song in my head...;)

6. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    [face_dancing] One step, ahead of the Empire... [face_dancing]

7. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    If Lucasfilm was bought by Apple would you still be comparing it to Aladdin? Is it because he's an early teenager in animated form?

I didn't make the comparison cause I don't remember Aladdin much and everything doesn't have to be derivative of everything, in my book. I see the comparison, but I'd rather SW stuff stand on its own instead of always making something "how is is the same or different than what came before." Like, just cause Hera's the pilot with an attitude, how come more people aren't saying she's a female Han Solo?

Sigh. As always, conversation/debate is always good!

</rant>

Again, awesome show and I look forward to every Monday!

8. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Good Question. I can't say how if I would see a comparison between Ezra and Aladdin if Lucasfilm had been bought by another company. I'm just saying that I see it now. He even looks like Aladdin. One of the first things he does in the first episode is steal food, and evade/prank the local authorities. And the only time I've ever heard the term "street rat" before, was in Aladdin.

Don't get me wrong. I like Aladdin, and I like Ezra, but the similarities in the characters are undeniable.

As for Hera, on a podcast that I listen to about Star Wars, that's exactly what they're saying. I, however, don't agree with that opinion. Hera seems like more of a mother figure to the crew of the ghost, and Han Solo was pretty far from a father figure to anyone.

I like Rebels. I think it's a good show, and I look forward to it also. But it has some flaws that really stand out to me.

I really like Kanan, and I'm curious about his backstory. Same with Sabine. She seems super badass. The artwork is great and seems more round where Clone Wars often seemed very square and angular. I'm glad they have started using reflection in the art. They seemed to avoid it like the plaque in Clone Wars, but it add a lot to the Stormtroopers look in Rebels. The music is phenomenal and seems much more present or relevant than in Clone Wars. It's much more like Williams, or certainly closer to his stuff than a lot of what I hear in Clone Wars.

I actually watch an episode of Clone Wars every morning while I eat my breakfast, so I can't help but compare the two shows. I hope that Ezra will grow on me the way Ahsoka did. I liked her from the start, but I hated to see the series end, mostly because I couldn't see her in new adventures.

I'm looking forward to that feeling of attachment with the crew of the Ghost.

9. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Very insightful APR. I too am liking the series and was hooked from the inception. I really can't imagine that there won't be some Disney resonance from time to time but I agree, when I heard "Street Rat" I thought of Aladdin as well and he does look quite similar. I can forgive that though.

Hera is nothing like Solo from what I have seen so far. She's more like the Mother Hen as APR put it. She will be the one who reasons the most for the crew.

I look forward to the training Ezra will no doubt grow into and I can't wait to see surprise guests that we know along the way. I imagine we may even see Ahsoka again. [face_praying]

10. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Fighter Flight... just good, clean fun. Character Development is a necessary thing. :D

11. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    I liked the episode too. Fun for sure.
    I LOVED seeing the old troop transport toy finally come to life on screen.

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  12. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    "Rise of the old masters" was a great episode. Good character stuff with Kanan and Ezra, and great lightsaber action!
    I also liked the mention of Depa Billaba. Backstory clues are fun. :)

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  13. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Alas, I'm two episodes behind! That will have to change.
    Glad to hear the show is getting positive reviews.

14. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Yeah JT… catch up will ya! New Ep is Solid, Far Out and Right On! The Inquisitor is a bit Spooky. [face_nail_biting]

15. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Another great episode last night!
    What kind of crystal shipment was that? ;)

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  16. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Just watched Fighter Flight. A fun episode and loved the troop transport. I like the buddy aspect of this episode between Zeb and Ezra. It was cool to see the TIE fighter in action again, and having it flown by amateurs made it all the more hilarious!

What a different show than Clone Wars! This one has a lighter, humorous atmosphere, even though there are the occasional grim moments. Like ANH itself.

17. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    I liked Rise of the Old Masters, too. I was skeptical that Luminara was actually still alive, but who knows with this show and the Clone Wars? The plot moved along quickly and it was great to see each character in their element doing what they do best. Loved the moments of comedy like Zeb propping up the Stormtroopers at the landing platform door and trying to drag that one trooper through the door when it was closing on his helmet. Very funny and a nice nod (I thought) to that one trooper who banged his head in ANH.

I'm liking the Inquisitor and his attitude of menace. I don't have to have Vader in this show so long as we got that dark side bad dude.

This is a show that will be toeing the line between the dark times of the prequels and the hope/skepticism of the OT. This one showed that you can have hope, but the Empire is happy to squash it with a hologram and dead body. Ouch!

I believe it was the notorious Kyber crystal that has had quite the history in the SW universe. I had to look it up on SW.com here: http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/breaking-ranks-trivia-gallery.
    It was also the Macguffin from the Crisis on Utapu trilogy of episodes that are online only. They are the ones with unfinished animation here: http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars-the-clone-wars-story-reel-a-death-on-utapau. Good stuff.

18. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Now I'm getting behind, watched rise of the old masters and continued to enjoy every episode so far to start the series. Don't want to blow through all these so quickly, so will take a break with the new Hobbit and Clone Wars season six blu-rays - tons of content on these.

19. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, it was the Kyber crystal. :) (Originally from 'splinter of the minds eye' and then spelled "Kaiburr")
    I like how in the unfinished Clone wars episodes, it seems to almost defend itself by refracting the lasers back at the people who shot them. And then the explosion in the Rebels episode was nice and big. Those things are powerful! A small one was also in the "Children of the Jedi" episodes of Clone Wars when Bane was trying to kidnap force adept kids. (I just finished re-watching those episodes about a week ago and they're great.)
    And I guess its a Kyber crystal that supposedly powers the death star laser, which is why Palpatine wanted it in those Clone Wars episodes. (They must have found another one later. ;) )
    I wonder if we'll hear about these crystals again, or if their usefulness to story lines has been played out.

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's Star Wars! Watch it! :p

And you were probably the kid that didn't eat the marshmallow in that social experiment they made kids do to see if they have impulse control...

21. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I finally caught up with the series last weekend. I'd lagged for weeks because my DVR somehow got them out of order, showing me first Art Attack (and I'm like, what? Is it only 3 mins?? Am I supposed to know who these people are?) and then Droids in Distress (Whaaa? I still don't know who these people are, or what's going on, nor why I should care??) After that, I was disinclined to rush to watch more. A friend later told me that there was an episode I had missed. Once I saw that, at least the story and characters were a little more clear. I went ahead and caught up on the rest.

I'm so-so on it at this point. There are aspects that I think have been good and show promise. There are some aspects that annoy me, such as some of the comic relief. It's not that I am against lighter or comedic aspects per say, but the stylistic approach feels like it has dissonance with the style of the serious drama aspects. Something about how they do the two of them feel like they don't quite mesh to me. Or maybe the comic approach part feels a bit overdone to me. I'm not sure at this point.

The dynamic between Kanan and Ezra seems to be getting interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops going forward. Another friend gave me... hm, not sure if it's a spoiler or not per say. A spoiler in that I think it hasn't been said on the show, but is apparently something that comes from a tie-in book? In any case, I find that knowing this plot point going into watching the show does impact how I view some of this development.

22. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I am liking it so far. I wish they could have stuck with the TCW style of animation. That said, it is a fun show so far, without the garbage political episodes we had to deal with in TCW. So far, it reminds me of Firefly set in the SW universe. And that is not a bad thing. :)

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  23. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    WOW! Frank Oz is gong to reprise the voice of Yoda for an Episode! ^:)^

24. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Cannot freaking wait, Rebels is 10X better than Clone Wars was.

25. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Um... I don't know about that Kal. There are some fabulous stories in the CW. This is the same team after all with Filoni leading again. i think it certainly has the potential to be just as good and maybe a little better since the creative team has now had plenty of experience with the SW Universe... and they are already touting the next series after Rebels, taking place in between Eps 6 & 7 so we are going to see the Universe get a little bigger by and by. [face_dancing]