main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Resistance Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s the best Star Wars animation yet. And yeah, as usual (with Rebels too) the lead character is the weakest link. But I feel that’ll change with time. Moreso than Ezra, who stayed annoying for almost the entire time.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  2. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    These bums are still like bombing the show, though...geeez

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Its becoming embarrassing, a good deal of it is so blatantly only there to make Tam, Torra and Synarra appear as "strong female characters" (I've lost count how many times the "light object held by female becomes very heavy object when passed to Kaz" gag has been used). Can you imagine the uproar if the characters genders were the other way around?

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, because what this thread was lacking was male rage.

5. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Yay someone trying to play the gender card for the reason why kaz is spastic. Come the **** on grow up stop seeing fake male getting thrown under the bus to make the woman strong subtext where there isn't any .

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I am afraid it isn't fake. It is the only reason for that particular slapstick joke to exist here. I'm not raging, I am merely pointing out what I see. I also see that you and others (and maybe the mods too) do not realise how offensive the word you are using to describe Kaz is to disabled people in the UK.

7. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    It is fake no one else is seeing what ur seeing or looking to much into. Also we don't have the time to look up what words are offensive to what subset of people in a certain place on the globe . I won't refer to him as that again now that I'm aware but u can't expect someone to know all the words that offend a certain subset of people from the 8 billion alive in the world . English especially now is always evolving .

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I understand that. My point was that something somebody else sees and believes to be the case is not fake just because other people do not see it and believe the same.

It is a fact that the "light object passing to heavy object" joke has been used multiple times. Each time Kaz has been the weak/heavy object character. Tam and Synarra have both been the light object character. It is a fact that the intended result of this joke is to make the "light" object character suddenly appear to have been very strong to have been able to carry this object (which cannot actually change weight suddenly) with such ease. I remember Star Trek The Next Generation used this same joke once to highlight the huge strength of the giant butler Mr Homn.

9. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Here's the synopsis for the next episode, by the way.

Station Theta Black - "Poe and Kaz find an old First Order facility, but BB-8 discovers it isn't as abandoned as it seems."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Haven't noticed any "light object" humor, but I certainly don't see any "emasculating" agenda at work in this show. In fact when I think about it, it's a bit more male-centric than most other recent SW, but generally the show doesn't give me much reason to think about it.

The term that's being used to decribe Kaz ("spaz") isn't that nice in any context, but I've learned that it's considered a lot more offensive in the UK and is used much more casually in the US. No judgment there, but it's some context for you.

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah people calling Kaz "spaz" is uncomfortable. I am from the states and had never heard that definition till Linkara mentioned it when he stopped using it. Shocked it is not one the the banned words here, as we just saw people will use it with no way of knowing before hand that it has a very offensive connotation across the pond.

As for Kaz being emasculated, yeah I am wish you. Kaz is clumsy and not very strong, cause he is clumsy and scrawny. It is not some agenda, nor is it there just to make Tam seem stronger. Her competence away from Kaz, solid character moments, clear motivation even if not fully explained outright, and confidence are what make her seem strong. Kaz is clumsy for the sake of making him seem all the more like a fish out of water, he is spoiled, and what he has worked hard for has little to do with what his current job is. Don't find it funny? that's understandable. But it is hardly part of some scheme or agenda.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Seems over the top 'PC' to me. If the mods say to stop, then sure.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Your theory collapses because male characters have also handed objects to Kaz that then seem to become much heavier. The joke is that Kaz is a clutz, and not that useful with his hands (outside the cockpit). The joke is not that Kaz is a physically weak man relative to all the physically strong women.

So yeah, this reads like misplaced male rage to me.

In the UK, it’s derogatory slang for a severely disabled person. Now that you know this, it shouldn’t be “too PC” to stop using it. It should just be common courtesy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Blobofat and vncredleader like this.
  14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I mean all the terms on the disallowed list are there cause of political correctness, and a word that is a substitute for calling someone the R word is far from over the top. A widely used term for disparaging those with mental illness is pretty universally a bad thing. While the R-word is allowed on the forums, it is only when legit talking about the medical term: retarded. Spaz and spastic are being used colloquially, and while the US definition is fine, it needs to be held to the same standard as avoiding saying the r-word outside of literally talking about mental illness in a mature way.

cwustudent and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    There is a lot of context missing here, but whatever. This is is straying from Resistance. I hope there isn't a break because this show hasn't grabbed my interest as strongly as TCW or Rebels, so I might lose whatever interest I have over however long the break may be.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Can you name the episode where this, male character to Kaz object pass took place please.

I'm not raging. I don't feel angry. As I said before the feeling is more embarrassment, an eye rolling moment. I didn't laugh. The joke has not been funny.

Please answer this. Could you see Disney making a clumsy, weak female character like Kaz?

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Context missing? https://www.dictionary.com/browse/spastic

It is legit a term used to insult those with cerebral palsy. People are calling Kaz a spaz cause he is clumsy, the association comes from people mocking someone who is clumsy by referring to them as if they have cerebral palsy. There is the context. I feel this is pretty important to Resistance itself cause with the term being used more and more rapidly it is best we have these kinds of frank, pulling the band-aid off conversations as a community sooner rather than later

Why is a clumsy weak character a problem? Consequently why does a female character have to exhibit this trait as well? Do we really need to show a woman as clumsy in order to justify having a dude be clumsy?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It only becomes a problem when the clumsy, weak, character is ALWAYS male. Disney would never make a female character like that.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Anna from Frozen is...you guessed it. Clumsy.

What was your point again?

vncredleader likes this.
  20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The other telling part of this discussion is "Disney would never..."

That's part of a very specific narrative. There's no evidence here that the creative shots are being called within this show by anyone other than LFL or Filoni. The idea that Disney is steering the direction of the storytelling in SW seems to always be associated with presumed "leftist" agendas. There's no evidence for any of that unless your idea of "extreme left" is the kind of mostly-offstage moderate progressivism that started with Lucas, and got about as explicit as it ever has around Act II of ANH with "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Never seen it.
    In saying Disney, I meant Disney owned Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy. Apologies for confusion.

22. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    Mentioning KK another tactive of people who subscrible to a certain narrative ;)

Bor Mullet and vncredleader like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    a mod should open a thread for the new episode

This show is starting to reach a stride. Kaz is still far too annoyingly flamboyant, but he took a step forward this episode. He still needs to tone down his high-pitched shrieks and slapstick reactions, otherwise I'll never be able to take him 100% seriously. This episode would have been a 10/10 if he could have forgone that. I mean, what's there not to like? Leia, Phasma, Vonreg and Poe all in one episode.
    I like that the first order has a motif that sounds similar to Rogue One's Imperial Suite. Great music this episode. Lots of pluses, and the only real minus I can think of is Kaz's behavior.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This was a good one. Things are heating up.

25. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    I was hoping for a kylo stinger to make us want the next half like right now but overall the episode was good Kaz is still the worst part