main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I admit, I am an old fogey because I still watch DVDs.

2. Vanilulew

Vanilulew Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2019
    Nothing to be ashamed of, I do the same :p

Still annoyed that we're not getting a BD release yet though. I feel like Resistance's art style is going to be hit hard in a bad way by DVD quality.

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if the choice of format is due to international sales expecting to be heavy. Places where Blue Rays may be less common.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If they want international sales they need to make it internationally available.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay, I've picked up my copy of STAR WARS: RESISTANCE on DVD (not Blu Ray) and have re-watched the entirety of the series. Here's my commentary if anyone wants to discuss my DEEP AND AMAZING insights into the story.

1. Kaz had his klutziness overplayed in the story and verged on Jar Jar moments. It was a similar issue with Finn in the movies. I don't mind that he's a naive newcomer but I think the fact he's a trained Naval pilot should have had a bit more going for him. It doesn't help that no one else is particularly cartoony. I liked Kaz better toward the end of the show and hope he'll be more mature next episode. I almost feel like Kaz being a citizen of the Colossus recruited for it would have worked better.

2. Tam remains the breakout character for me as I loved the fact she's a hardnosed workaholic mechanic who is, sadly, criminally underused. Setting her up as a pilot of the First Order will give her plenty of new material to work with and potentially also set up a LOST STARS-esque crisis of conscience. It is kind of funny how many women of color there are in both the Empire and FO, though. Thank God for Sana in the Rebellion, that's all I have to say.

3. The First Order is far more competant here than they are depicted in TFA and TLJ. Bluntly, the movies have depicted them as something akin to Sunbow's Cobra in GI Joe. They lost the Death Star AND their version of the Executor in the span of a week. Here, they manage to play Dolza like a jizz horn and effortlessly betray their allies while working to look like the good guys. We also have genocide added to their crimes of multiple worlds that they've conquered in the UR.

4. "The Disappeared" is probably one of the best episodes of Star Wars ever and applies to a real life problem. In a lot of places, dictatorships don't hold show trials. People just vanish from their homes and are never seen again. The episode was surprisingly chilling and the misinformation by the FO did more to sell them as a credible threat than anything we'd seen on screen so far.

5. Yeager is an interesting character and I'm surprised they went "there" with his backstory. What his brother did to him was genuinely unforgivable and I don't think they will ever really reconcile, just trying not to hate him. I also like how he's exactly the sort of old Rebel who would end up joining the Resistance. They know exactly what the First Order is even as people like Tam don't know what the Empire did.

6. The Colossus is probably the best location in the NuCanon for detail and I think an amazing amount was done to make it interesting. It's Mos Eisley as a port city with all of its wretchedness, scum, and villainy but also a tower that everyone can aspire to living in. The class consciousness is not something I'd normally think of as on display in Star Wars but it colors a lot of the interactions of characters.

Also, how amazing is an entire part of the Star Wars experience is based around one of these?

[​IMG]

7. Torra is easily my favorite character in the series and I'm a bit disappointed that she was only 15 as I kind of wanted to root for her and Kaz. The fact she's a teenage girl living in a literal ivory tower (A "Princess" if you will, a DISNEY Princess) yet is an incredibly capable flier makes her arc familiar. She learns that she has a responsibility to be more than just her daddy's daughter but a hero herself. Also, kudos that she and her father are coded Mexican. Her voice actress is basically Torra in RL too.

8. Doza: I absolutely adore Captain Doza and think he's a nice subversion of the ex-Imperial hardliner. He apparently fought for the Empire right up until the end of the war and keeps his uniform in his closet but he's not ready to jump on the First Order's bandwagon. We also know he eventually married a rebel pilot. I think he knows exactly where the First Order is going to go but can't bring himself to outright condemn them. The idea he's also heavily involved in organized crime is also a good thing. It adds some grays to his character.

9. I feel like the Aces were criminally underused and would have made an interesting story by themselves with Kaz joining them and being one of the star pilots of the area than a bumbling mechanic. It also annoys me that not only was Torra underused but Mary McGlynn's Freya as well as Griff the ex-Imperial. I mean, Hype I could do without but he's ironically one of the few with actual plot hooks.

10. We all know Flix and Orka are married, right?

11. I think Starkiller Base must have been created in less than a year if they tried and failed to assemble it in the system of the twin alien children.

12. Synara San is a great character both beautiful in character design as well as nuanced in her performance. I thought she was a Zeltron and still do, just believe her to be culturally Miralan. I like her character development as she goes from viewing the crew as marks to friends, especially since events conspire so she doesn't have to betray her old friends to save her new ones. Well, more than she already has.

I call her the Jenny Calender of the series.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I generally agree, though I will say I enjoyed Kaz a lot particularly for reasons that can't exist if he is from the Colossus. I loved the subtle class structure and economic divide present. They don't really confront it on Kaz's part much past the second episode, but it does consistently call to attention that Doza lives in comfort. I mean they have TWO bars on the tower. I think this show handled the politics better than TCW and Rebels, and honestly already surpasses them for me due to that. The dinner scene with Tam and Yeager fighting is one of the most painfully real things in SW, so much more real and scarier than SKB was or even a screaming Hux (whom I love for that very fact as a villain)

Voltron64 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    True,

One of the things that works about Kaz is the fact that he's a child of privilege and I almost wish they'd played into that more. One of the most interesting things about the final two episodes is that it's the discovery that Kaz is rich that actually breaks Tam's faith in her friends isn't the fact he's lying to her or that he's former New Republic military. It's the revelation that he's a child of privilege "slumming it" while Tam is scraping by.

She also thinks working for the Empire was justified as "putting food on the table."

Voltron64 and vncredleader like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, 2 Sept = No Region 2 DVD.

How does the most ruthlessly competitive corporation on the planet screw this up so badly?

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    They don't care about what you want. They only care about what they want, and that is your money coming in every month and you not owning anything, instead of a one off payment and you owning a copy of their product.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Except their service hasn't launched. And yes, that's what it is about. A cynical calculation we so want to see X we'll sign up to anything.

Nope.

If anything really sees me disengage from a whole lot of SW it'll be Disney+

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The only reason Disney+ came into being is because Netflix told Disney to get stuffed on the latter's content because the former refused to up the price of the subscription so Disney could get their cut.

Blame the current Disney mob feeling greedy for why Star Wars: Resistance isn't on Netflix.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Netflix DID raise the price of its content, though. It just didn't share any of that with Disney.

Also, ESPN and Hulu will be included with the Disney+ package.

I don't think it's necessarily the "Evil Empire" that people think it is.

Mind you, this is a bit on the nose and I can't believe they sell these.

[​IMG]

Dawud786, Senator Wan and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So it is official that Mickey killed Pluto.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    With the recent D23 deal, it was pretty much a no brainer for me to sign up for Disney+. I'll be watching Mando on Day 1 and looking forward to Clone Wars next February.

I'm sure eventually Resistance will show up on the streaming service which I will continue to watch on Disney XD out of morbid curiosity on what happens to them and how their fate will time into TROS if at all.

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Disney love it when people give them $141 without thinking.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Almost like they produce something people love.

17. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, sorry guys I'm getting Disney+.

My wife and I also have a great time at Disney's theme parks, which are fun for the whole family. As long as Disney can give people that joy I don't see any reason to withdraw my support.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm only giving Disney $83.88 (no interest in ESPN or Hulu), but will in fact do so without thinking, since for my family it's a bit of a no-brainer. I hope Disney loves me, too!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    While I still wait for the Resistance Bluray to be released.... anybody got the DVD and is it worth it or the bonus material? Is there even an international release of the DVD or just US?

Jedi Ben and Charlemagne19 like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I really liked the RESISTANCE special features as there's four cast commentaries and they're very enjoyable. There's also all the shorts and makings of, videos.

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    The article says $12.99 a month for all 3.

I will be signing up for this and dropping Netflix in November.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really like some Netflix original programming. It’s also my perpetual gift to my parents and sister so they can’t complain if I don’t know what to get them :p

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh i saw that making of video

Love the breakdown of the timeline that ties together comics, games, movies and other TV shows

Watch the new She-Ra show.