main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked it.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Same here. It was more of a warm, friendly hug of an ending rather than the big, epic finale perhaps some of us were expecting. Which works for the show. I'd also say it definitely leaves room for future stories with Team Colossus.

Part of me wishes we saw the Colossus join Lando's fleet at Exegol, but eh. Same with Rebels not ending at Scarif; it's not the story being told.

BigAl6ft6, Voltron64 and Xammer like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Going to watch it at 10, but in celebration of the finale I rewatched what I'm sure is my favourite episode Bibo. I think it nails the tone of the show, its got a madcap vibe but the stakes are legit and looks great. Also one of my favorite lines of the series "His adorable path of mayhem and destruction ends here!"

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel like season 2 had no purpose. They were definitely planning more seasons, but the way it's left now, almost the entire second season feels like filler. And it seems like the writers had no idea how to lead things into TROS. The only development from the season 1 finale is that Tam switched back. (Btw, did she miss the memo on Hosnian Prime or something? She switched too fast from trying to kill Kaz and destroy the Colossus to hugging him. and she hardly even gives an apology). Pyre is never unmasked, him and Tierny are just presumed dead, but they give themselves enough leeway that they could have turned out to survive (same with Rucklin). It's another episode of running around, helping the Colossus, and the droid CB saving the day. The people on it swing from "no way we're helping" to "I can see they're in trouble, of course we'll help" again. Nothing meaningful from Synara, the artifact hunter, the Force-sensitive girl and her brother, the mechanical duo, etc. No reunion with Poe or Leia or BB-8 either. There's no real conclusion to anything. I'm not sure what the point of Kaz and his journey are, it's all of no consequence, besides getting a sentient amphibian species wiped out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, that was a dud of a season. Even when they announced season 2 would be the last I didn't expect it to be so... boring with so much filler. And do they even remember they showed Hosnian Prime being blown up in the season 1 finale? Like seeing Aeos razed is what finally convinces Tam that the First Order is evil? I forget if previous episodes showed she never found out about Hosnian or not, a lot of it was her only caring about getting to fly.

Some moments seemed like they were setting up for later so not sure why they kept them in. Early stuff like Kaz's father was probably before the series was canceled but that episode with the lady who decided it was a good idea to raise Sith temples was much later. Well, I guess by then it was too late to come up with new episodes. Even if there had been another season, not sure what they would have done with it after this one felt so aimless. Even after this victory, Tierny and Pyre are easily replaceable villains.

Funny how the finale ripped off some moments from the sequels- like shields suddenly going down and the officers can't do anything about it (guess CB is just that overpowered) and then Kaz knocking out Pyre reminded me of Finn fighting Plasma.

I know this was meant as a more kiddy Star Wars series (compared to the much better TCW and Rebels) but the first season had a better balance and eventually matched up to the movies' tone. Season 2 didn't really go anywhere. Oh well, guess it was too much to hope for a good story from a sequel era series. And it was nice to see the Resurgent more here.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Re: The series finale - The Escape, and the show as a whole

There's definitely two ways to look at the finale and the show's lasting impact -- worth it OR waste of time.

#1) The show was about being part of a team/family. Let's race together and be competitive, but at the end of the day, we're still friends. We all live on the Colossus and we need to come together as a community to support each other. Team Aces, Team Fireball, Team whatever -- you were part of a family.

Losing Tam to the First Order as the end of Season 1 was huge and we were emotionally invested in her story because we could sympathize with her. We wanted to see the person that had fallen / made a bad choice to be saved/redeemed. That's Star Wars 101. And in the end, we got what we wanted, and some of the best episodes of the second season dealt with Tam's decisions on when to betray and not betray her friends. You could see she was torn. You could see the conflict. It was rewarding and heartwarming to see her finally make the right decision for herself and for the Colossus. So from this POV, maybe you feel it was all worth it.

#2) The journey of this season was roughly 7 hours of content. And it's quite evident that a lot of threads that were started were probably going to be addressed in future seasons. With the station now mobile, it was the writers opportunity to world build. Although, the overarching goal, the thing that kept us coming back each week was (a) was the Colossus going to survive being chased by the First Order? and (b) what was going to happen with Tam? We got to meet some interesting characters along the way that unfortunately didn't bear any fruit this season. Our only hope is that we get to see them in a future stories along with others that didn't get to shine in TROS. So from this POV, maybe you feel it was all a waste of time.

Personally, I love that we keep getting more animated Star Wars. I'd love to see the Poe Dameron comics in animated form. I enjoyed the art style and the designs and expressions of the characters.

Unfortunately, the story was very much lacking and I really don't see myself revisiting or recommending these series. I'm glad to have gotten a book-ended ending and I look forward to better stories (The Clone Wars - Final Season, The Mandalorian Season 2) in the future.

7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Just one question: Does Palpatine's galaxy broadcast, only mentioned in Rise of Skywalker, happen at all in the Resistance show now that the show is over?

8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    No.

Ghost likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  10. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Personally, I think CB just figured out the Reliant's Star Destroyer's command prefix code and that Khan Tierny and the bridge crew couldn't find the override in time:

(Seriously, this is what I immediately thought of during that scene. :p It's also juuuust similar enough in my view to make me wonder if it was intentional... [face_thinking] )

11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    If you want more Resistance closure in TROS.. head to the Episode IX topic. I tried to merge and salvage parts of the Trevorrow script and reintegrated it into the TROS plot giving some roles to Resistance characters where movie characters couldn't do both plots.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Watching the last season, especially the last episode, I can't help but wonder if it would make sense for Doza to promote Aunt Z to a legitimate position of power on the Colossus. Like a secondary officer or deputy. She doesn't have to necessarily be the #2 (that should be Yeager), but she helps keep things in line. She has better command of everyone on board than he does, plus she keeps tabs on a lot of the supplies (which Doza clearly is out of sync with -- the tavern owner shouldn't be the one to inform him that they're out of food on the whole ship!). He's got such a loose chain of command on board (isn't Neeku Chief Engineer?) that no one'd probably question it. Maybe they could split duties between Yeager (who, as far as I can tell, ends the series as "that guy who owns the repair shop" (but is still inexplicably managing the ship most of the time in the command room)) and her. He maintains the Aces and defenses, she maintains the inventory. These are jobs they're basically already doing but not getting any official recognition for.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So was Tireny choked to death before the Star Destroyer exploded or while it was happening? Was Supreme Leader Kylo Ren actually euthanizing her out of compassion? He's not that bad after all! (Matt Wood's Kylo sounds better in Battlefront II when filtered through the mask but as unmasked Kylo even over comms he kind of sounded like had a head cold, maybe that's why he was more terse and Force choke-y than usual). Or maybe Kylo got annoyed his Force choke was interrupted by her exploding.

Felt more Season finale than Series finale but not real hanging cliffs like some show that have been cut off with more cliffhanger season finales. I guess Tam seeing Pandora get toasted hit her more than Hosnian Prime getting toasted. But all the baddies got gone and Tam came back so that's closure. And it did end with the "scrappy crew of weirdoes in the Colossus comes together". I mean, you can see a lot of previous introduced plot threads throughout the series that are not resolved but big ones, Tam joining the FO, Tirney and Pyre being the ones who chase them are vanquished, have been resolved.

Whole lot of callbacks to TLJ, at least with the trooper chaos. Also Kaz going "They'll be long gone!" and then they pop up infront of the First Order. Anyway, I guess Tam and Kaz falling on the shipping containers on their backs didn't hurt that much cuz they got up right away.

Also Bibo shout out cuz Bibo is awesome, which is great. Still the best episode of the series if you ask me. I'll rewatch this episode when S2 hits D+ though.

Maybe LFL cancelled Resistance because they saw a drop in quality between S1 and S2, or just the ratings were so dire, but I still think Disney+ being the exclusive home of Star Wars content may have been a huge one.

The Gotal bahhhing "Trattttior!" was kind of awesome hahaha.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    indydefense likes this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I can't help but wonder when they got the news that the second season would be the last, because the first half seems to be setting up a lot of plotlines that either were ignored or got resolved hastily in the second half.

Still, the EU nowadays does seem very prone to referencing itself so hopefully some of these characters and plotlines can be flushed out in other media

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    My workplace has been infested with hundreds of tiny adorable crickets recently over the last month, and whereas people were first like "omg crickets maybe we should get rid of them?" now they're just hopping around and nobody says anything. On the stairs, in the mailroom, in the elevator. I swear all I can think of now is gorgs on the Colossus. They're everywhere and nobody really cares.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Killik Invasion in progress... be careful! The small ones always infiltrate first!

Speaking of Killiks... the little bug from Legends of Luke Skywalker that manipulated everyone might have been a tiny Killik too joining people to him as he moved around! *headcanon noted for later use*

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    S2 is now on Disney+ for those who missed it (Think the only missing content from D+ are the Resistance youtube shorts that aired in S1 which basically adds up to a full episode). I gave the final episode a rewatch with the series hitting D+, divorced from the probably unfair weight of OMGAWD it's a Series Finale, it's a solid episode that has a lot of zip to it. And it's kind of fun to see the gaggle of losers and nerdowells on the Colossus actually stand up for something larger than themselves. And all the bad guys explode in the end. I even liked Kylo's vocal performance slightly more this time! "Do YOU?!" line sounded tres Angsty and judgy as Kylo can be.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh hey I don't think it was mentioned but Kaz and someone who sounds like Jarek are in the TROS novelization.

When everyone calls in when they first arrive with all the other ships. Sort of a funny scene, because Kaz is the reason Poe tells everyone to shut up and shoot.

19. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Well, I mentioned it in the novelization thread.

That scene reminds me of the elephant scene in The Jungle Book- "Wipe off that silly grin, soldier! This is the army!"

Also, I thought it was a bit out of character for Kaz to add onto "Fireball, here". "Hi, everyone." sounds like something Neeku and Torra would say when entering the battle. It feels like Rae Carson watched only one episode of Resistance (one of the earlier episodes) and didn't think Kaz would change/be more serious as time went on.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Neeku would definitely be one to interrupt with chatter for sure at the Battle of Exegol but Kaz does still run his mouth at inopportune times, I totally buy it. But Neeku making a random pronouncement would probably be the best usage of that character, also more Neeku.

Actually I want a Battle of Exgol: Neeku one-shot story right now please. "Why do all of these Star Destroyers have planet killer weapons, that seems most excessive and inefficient!"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Daneira likes this.
  21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    A full-on Neeku commentary on TROS might be the best (A) use of the character ever / (B) way to experience the film.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So resistance season 2 was a pretty bad series about the resistance.
    But it was a great season for weird adventures in the star wars universe. Honestly it felt like a RPG campaign.

23. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Just started watching this and really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. A big part of it is probably that I knew what I was in for, rather than expecting something like Rebels or TCW. Kaz is my least favourite character so far, but he's growing on me, and the Colossus is a great setting which is managing not to feel stale yet. I'm also finding it the funniest of the animated series so far - more despite of Kaz than because of him.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It wasn't terrible and it stood a good chance of improving, it just definitely feels like it was abandoned, and the attempts to make S2 into a real "ending" just kind of made it worse.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly I think it was the best series we got out of the two that came before it.

Because I struggled watching Rebels ...and sadly have not gone back to re-watch it ever since.

Also I think it was the best structured Series so far.

But then again all Star Wars series somewhat struggle with structure and got nothing over other non-Star Wars animated series like She-Ra/Owl House/ Amphibia etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021