main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    All the Jedi are dead in Canon by 34 ABY?

Jaina, Raynar, Tahiri, Zekk, Tesar, Lowbacca - a strong core to the second generation. There are a shedload of secondary ones which turn up briefly but are not the core cast.

Then we have the various third generation characters such as Valin, Jysella, Seff, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Then why was the attention back on Luke, Leia and Han's generation (heck even their parents' generation) after NJO?
    Jacen went off the rails, Jaina became an idiot, Zekk and Tahiri became love crazy and Saba and Alema went from bad to even worse. As to the others, Raynar went bye bye, Lowie and Tesar only appeared when they weren't bug brained once or twice, Valin and Jysella only appeared what twice and were just as forgettable and Seff was who again? (Sarcasm mode).

Jacen, Jaina and Anakin's generation suffered the worst - both in deaths and in poor writing.

Voltron64 likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Because NJO spectacularly bungled the generational transition. It assumed readers would instantly like the Solo kids, no matter what they did and set them against their parents for, well, "conflict" - as if dealing with an invasion of billions of Force-immune biotech wielding aliens wasn't enough. That first impression stuck, no matter the subsequent steps to try to correct it. After TUF absolutely would have been the point to move Luke, Han and Leia more into the background, but could the younger generation actually carry the story on their own? It appears it was thought not.

But, the bigger mystery remains: After having spent all that time improving the Solo kids that survived, having done so across 5 years and 19 books, DR then abandon it all completely to move the focus back to Luke, Han and Leia, in the most disastrous way possible in DN and throw the younger generation under a bus.

It should never have been either-or. That we can either have OT trio story or one of their kids, there was plenty of room for both types - and that? That would have worked as a generational transfer over time too.

Hell, looking back it now, NJO was the noughties TLJ - arrogant, controversial, loved-or-loathed, killing characters, doing a crap job with the older characters, much fan schism - yep, it ticks all the boxes. [face_devil]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Voltron64 and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    And how does this relate to the new series?

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Speaking of things that don't relate to the new series (yet), how in the world did "Ahsoka is / is not a Jedi" get resurrected? If ever there's a pointless debate with an easy resolution, there it is.

Is Ahsoka technically a Jedi? No.
    Is Ahsoka effectively a Jedi? Yes.

In other news, I'm certain we'll get a Resistance trailer (or sneak peek or something) at SDCC. Between this and the likely announcement of new Clone Wars content (adaptations of the unproduced material, perhaps?), I'm getting pretty excited for later next week.

6. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I look forward to a trailer. My biggest question until the end of the series will be if the lead character is gonna be around for TFA and TLJ, perhaps afterwards. We might be helping to set up something for Ep9.

7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The interesting part about this show is that the original characters have a legitimate chance of being included in Episode IX. TLJ set it up. It's on JJ to follow through.

8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah I’m hoping for a trailer at SDCC. It makes total sense if the series is to premiere in October. Yet, who knows. They may just release images........

9. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I really wish we'd get a trailer already

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    forget a trailer, the lack of any update in general is concerning. The show is supposed to premier this fall, and summers already halfway over.

11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Can we not?

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    You don't have to if you don't want to.

13. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    "But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future."
    "But not at the expense of the moment!"

"Your focus determines your reality."

"All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, what he was doing!"

It's been less than a month since Resistance was presented to Disney's shareholders. It's been barely a week since we had an amazing treasure trove of announcements. But of course we have to drag the conversation back to worrying about what we don't know. Why?

14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I suppose because the secrecy over the films has more or less left people with little patience.

15. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes. We were given a lot of goodies and I guess we shouldn’t be greedy but it is a little strange that their is no trailer or any info on the series. It’s basically a month away and nothing. To be honest, I kinda want this show to fail. 1 or 2 seasons is enough and then cancellation. I feel this way because I find the whole concept of the show to be unrealistic. It’s not open warfare. It’s being a spy and that can only be dragged out for so long.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    James Bond has been spying around for more than fifty years and twenty-four movies. Very, very limited genre that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The latest Star Wars Adventures suggests it'll be telling tales featuring "some brave pilots" from Resistance this fall.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I really, really hope we see some familiar worlds in Resistance. This is pre-war, so we should be able to travel and explore any New Republic or independent world. I want to see what's going on at Coruscant. I want to see Corellia post-Empire. I want to see Ryloth struggle to rebuild independent of the New Republic. I want to visit Hosnian Prime and see the Senate. All these things would provide TREMENDOUS world building for the ST-era and I really hope that the creative team behind this series does a bit of this. [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    October release...three months.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Princess likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Still no trailer-and now Clone Wars coming back kinda sucks out the hype for some ;p

21. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    July is almost over and we don't know if Resistance is coming out in October; early, mid or late so its 1-2 months.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    We got our first Rebels trailer July 21st, 2014. It premiered early October. I’d say we’re close to getting a trailer for Resistance.

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It says the release is October. And I think Rebels started a little later in the month of October, if I remember

All that being said...they did botch the marketing for Solo.

Stil...I'm confident they'll do plenty to hype Resistance. I hear they like making money.

I haven't seen any new fall shows hyped much yet.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    It IS odd.

Okay releasing a new Clone Wars Season is one thing, but after all the problems with the ST especially because of TLJ even a teaser like the Dr Who one would help!

Even release news of books introducing the series like they did for Rebels, maybe even introductory teasers but would it really hurt Clone Wars to release information on an entirely new series?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  25. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    That's debatable, and even if it were a given, it's most likely completely different people doing the marketing for a Disney XD show vs. a theatrical release.

It's less about hurting The Clone Wars and more about hurting Resistance. The tenth anniversary of The Clone Wars was Lucasfilm's focus on Thursday, the upcoming twentieth anniversary of The Phantom Menace was their focus on Friday, they could shove yet another announcement in there but why deny Resistance it's own moment to shine?

You can't compare this to the lead up to Rebels because that campaign wasn't just trying to sell Rebels, they were also reassuring anyone upset by The Clone Wars cancellation, and making a statement about post-buyout Lucasfilm in general. We're years in now, they've done an entire show without George, the "machine" has more or less proven itself.

Hopeless likes this.