main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Revelations

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Panic Struck Productions and TFN FanFilm are very proud to bring you Star Wars Revelations. This is the film you have been waiting for. This movie will take fan films to a different level.

The destruction of the Jedi Temple is devastating. Accusing Separatists of the attack, Emperor Palpatine declares martial law on Coruscant. As the Imperial presence spreads to most systems, Palpatine calls the scattered Jedi order ineffective. Their protests are denounced as treason, and all Jedi are declared traitors and are now fugitives of the Empire.

Looking for a way to turn the tide in this battle, both the surviving Jedi and the Empire are looking for a mystical Jedi artifact said to give the bearer great power...

Star Wars Revelations

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Nice :)
    I'm sure plenty od fanboys will be over the moon when they see this thread.
    *dloads*
    Post review when I wake up.

3. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    just saw trailer....looks like alot of work has gone into this. love the stormtroopers shots.

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Azeem posted on 4/17/05 9:27am
    This is the film you have been waiting for. This movie will take fan films to a different level.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Downloading now. While I am curious to see it, I can't say I've been "waiting" for it. And the "different level" thing is quite bold... from the trailers, it looks to be on-par with the best, but not necessarily surpassing them. The bar was raised years ago, remember.. with films like [i]Duality[/i], [i]KnightQuest[/i] and [i]Broken Allegiance[/i]. Just because this film may hit that bar doesn't mean it's going to raise it again.

I'll be posting a review once I watch it.

5. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Yeeeeeeesss!!! It's here! I do belive Revelations will raise the bar for fan films. Downloading right now!

6. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Im looking forward to seeing this one as well. I have to agree with Jedi saying that from the trailer it looks right up there with the big fan films (KQ, BA, Duality). Im sure that a lot of people on dial-up or slower connections are not going to be happy about the file size. Im not complaining though, the dl is going pretty fast here.

Thoughts to come later on the film...and a congrats to the film's creators on the release!

7. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Eventhough I was in the movie as a TK and was initially skeptical myself (after the very VERY first teaser which is no longer available for download), after seeing it last night I believe it's the most visually stunning fan film ever. It's got impressive acting, a complex storyline, and the best original music score to date. Hands down. And I'm a huge fan of Broken Allegiance and Knightquest. Don't get me started on Duality. ;)

The only thing I believe needed improving, as I stated in the premiere thread, was the dialogue levels needed to be tweaked or uped a notch or two in places. Certain lines were just too low or obscured in the mix to hear. Now, that said, I would be remiss if I didn't say that everyone has different hearing abilities. We all do. But, at the same time I did hear a few comments that suggested I wasn't the only one who couldn't hear the dialogue at times.

But from where this whole big-production fan film idea started...with The Dark Redemption...it's come a long way over the years. I can't think of another movie which raises the bar any further than Revelations has. I'm still very much looking forward to movies like Tydirium, Cold Patrol, The Narrow Path, etc..but I just have to say for the record...this movie kicks some serious butt.

You'll know what I mean when you see it!

Keith

8. TheMcguffin

TheMcguffin Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I'm at 30% on High Speed. Around 38 minutes remaining. I'll post again after I take a look.

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Yay a direct download!

Will post when downloaded.

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I got it in 20 minutes off the torrent. Nice stuff. Going to let the roommate get out of the way (he's got a concert or something), then enjoy. :D

-Paul

11. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    It's here at revelations.master-zap.com in both torrent and html download now, .mov and .wmv .... but please try to use the torrent as the FIRST OPTION at all times.

I will recommend the WMV for image and sound quality actually!

/Z

12. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    WOOO! I came downstairs just to see if Revelations was online yet :D

13. hornbach

hornbach Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2004
    Just finished the torrent download a few minutes ago. Havent seen it yet cause I'll encode to DVD first. It really looks great so far... but I would suggest you advertise the torrentversion a little more. Its a little hard for people to pickup the torrent when its listed somewhere within the mirrors (which most people dont even bother with if the main DL is still working). Thx alot... 15% encoded :)

14. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    I'm watching Zap's trip while it's dling. It's funny my aunt lives in Baltimore and I've been to the harbor like 20 times and stood in that exact spot by the aquarium.

15. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    So, in the list of sponsors at the end, is that THE Michael Moore?

16. Namcoking

Namcoking Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2003
    Ok my thoughts

Good

-The Ship yard chase was great! Actually majority of the CGI was well done.

-The Acting was decent in some spots.

-A fanfilm with a plot!! Whoo-hoo!

Bad

-For majority of the movie, the "good guys" spent their time in a ship?

-The lighsaber combat was sub-par.

-The bar fight and escape was neat, but not intense enough.

Overall this is a good film. I know alot of work went into this, and it shows. One of the best out there.

Namcoking

17. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    ...wow. This film exceeded my expectations both in terms of visuals and in terms of story. I am most impressed.

I only have two real issues. One is that it's hard to figure out how this fits into the overall Star Wars story. Whatever is accomplished in the end of te film is clearly negated by the time of ANH; as-is, it doesn't exactly seem to fit. (This can only mean one thing: SEQUEL!! :D)

The other is a matter of editing. The film repeatedly fails to capitalize upon good dramatic timing. We should have this feeling of palpable tension up to the moment when they decide to hand over the holocron to Zhanna; instead, it's just sort of like, "Oh. They gave it to her. Okay." There's not enough tension or emotion in the decision to stop the pursuit and remain in the caves. Things like that. There are moments that definitely need to be stretched out longer, milked for more, and be less a matter of just straight 1-2-3 exposition. (Edit: Yeah, the low intensity of the bar fight contributed to this too. But I disagree about the lightsabre fighting, I think; I find this style more rewarding than flashy, hyper-fast, Darth Maul-style stuff. And the use of slow-mo in the fight with Zhanna was wonderful. But, on the subject, another area that wasn't nearly dramatic enough was Zhanna hiding in the shadows. That should have been very tense, and was kind of ho-hum.)

The acting also has its weaker moments, especially from our female lead. (I can't remember her name.) She's just a little too stage-y, I think; her performance seems at times to lack subtlety. The film's best acting comes from the smuggler, who does a superb job; in a lot of ways, his character makes the movie for me.

My complaints, however, are not big, and they most certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the movie. It's certainly one of my favorite fan films to date, and may be my favorite, and I've never seen another fan film with the quality of visual effects or the evident production values that this one has. It really does mark a new step for fan films, and the makers should be commended for more than delivering on their promise (this movie is better, I think, than the trailers suggested) and doing something revolutionary. Good work.

-Paul

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd post the long post now but I've got to head out. I will say that this is the first fan film with which I have been really impressed by the visual directing. Bravo, Shane!

Not without its flaws, but I'll have to nitpick later. ;) Overall, probably the best serious fan film to date.

M. Scott

19. ShaakTi

ShaakTi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2004
    Anyone else having trouble with the movie around the 20 min mark? I am, the sound gets choppy and the movie stops moving the picture forward.

20. Vigilante74

Vigilante74 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2004
    All I can say is that its been downloaded 72 times so far from my mirror. Used up 1/4 of my allotted bandwidth already this morning hehe

21. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    I have to say, that the movie itself, as it is, is not better (in total) than Broken Allegiance. I think they´re both on the same level. But in terms of visual effects, Revelations really "raised the fanfilms bar". I guess in this one, you have the most and the best effects we have seen so far. I just thought the story was told a bit "less awesome" than Broken Allegiance's. That space battle was awesome, though!

Uhm. Maybe I was just a bit distracted by the medium compression quality of Revelations. I´d love to see the DVD version - which is surely far better :-D

I just have to say this...

Did anyone notice the long haired hero's head being vertically cropped on the left side of one shot during the arrival on that desert planet? Neat!

22. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Wow...just, wow. This is a definate inspiration for my own film. I'm not big on writing huge reviews, so I won't :p This film really lived up to my expectations and I just love how epic it is in the beginning; very cool.

It will be among my favorites for a long time, until I get sick of watching it :p

23. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    It's good.

I'm not big on writing huge reviews either, I'll just mention one problem that stood out for me that I don't think anybody else has mentioned yet. The space battle, while it has amazingly awesome animation, has very few shots of the main characters. Between 11:16 and 12:57, a ONE HUNDRED SECOND period, during the climax of the fight, there are NONE (maybe one very dark and hard to see one from the back? I couldn't tell). It really made it a lot less intense, IMO. There are humans driving the spaceship, and it should be about them, not the ship.

24. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    But 90% of the time, the ship is more beautiful than the human.

25. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Um...

Zap... good stuff man.

Otherwise, well... very ambitious. Looks like a lot of effort went into this, but I'm afraid "the bar" is safe where it was before. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.