main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars Ring Theory

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MikeKlimo, Nov 11, 2014.

1. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016

If you truly believe that the dialogue is the best in movie history then well, that's up to you. You are entitled to your opinion. Some people love the dialogue in soap operas. I've said this a million times about the OT as well. There's some bobbins dialogue in that too. What I might do is go to some film making forums and ask a bunch of writers if they will back you up. I'll let you know the results.

2. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Back to the article. I liked it, and its going to make me read up more on the subject. Not of Star Wars but of the theory in general. I'm intrigued to see how it might help my own writing.

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The essay is wonderful. May be is too intellectual for guys like RLM, and also is interesting. Well, not everyone is capable to make boring nonsense that pretend to be critic. Anyway, I like the explanations of Mike Klimo. The parallelism was obvious to me when I was watching the films, but in the articles I saw some very interesting details.

X Wing and Ezon Pin like this.
  4. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

Why must you attack their intellects? Am I too dumb for the prequels?

5. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

I didn't say anything about you, if it looks that way, I apologize; I said something about the RLM reviews. From the few parts that I succeeded to listen ( and it was not easy) there were no argument that I could define at least as reasonable. It has nothing to do with the fact that someone like or doesn't like the prequels (for me is fine if someone doesn't like them); is just the pretension of RLM to bash the PT with "arguments" that are purely subjective opinions.

earlchinna and Ezon Pin like this.
  6. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I was playing devils advocate. But I think to dismiss them is a shame. There are lots that they say that is right. But that's for a different thread I guess.

7. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

Yes, :) because is another thread I would only say this: the essay of Klimo is large but very interesting, consistent and full of ideas. If someone gives me the same kind of critics against the prequels I will read it, no matter that I like them very much. But I just couldn't waste my time in something that is almost large as the entire respective movie to hear from one of the most boring voices in the Galactic how that movie is boring and sucks, not to mention an absolutely inappropriate statements as 'this should be a Star Trek of something', etc. Yes, I prefer to read that Lucas succeeds (or fails) to show us the modern myth of the tragic fallen hero and why instead this. Yes, SW is like fairytale in space. But even the child fairytales have enough deep meaning.

8. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    All children's fairytales are rooted in something much deeper and darker (think the Brothers Grimm) than what we see on the surface. I'm of the opinion that GL accomplished something far greater than what we see on the surface of Star Wars, and that there is mythology behind SW that's much more deeply rooted than what GL has revealed to the public. Mike Klimo's article delves into that with clarity and intelligence, and explains the parallels, mythology, pathos, ethos and topos of SW very well.

The original saga is a loop. That's why it's so effective, and that's why so many people are so entangled with its mythology and stories-- it repeats itself and however much unconsciously or not, people identify with it. SW touches on major themes that arch over centuries. The themes are clear throughout the entire saga, but are buried so artfully that you can't see them. It's not a lack of imagination. It's just well-structured.

Anyway, after finally finishing the whole essay (took me several days to read, and was well worth it), I've started wondering if we'll see ring composition in the ST. Will it mirror the original saga, or start a new loop...?

9. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    We were all over this about ten years ago on Galactic Symphony!
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-greatest-in-depth-analysis.16974690/page-58

"
    POSTED ON WWW.SAGAJOURNAL.COM:
    Owner: Michael Hopcroft
    Reviewed by Lady Aeryn.

Over the years George Lucas has reiterated that he considers the story in the Star Wars saga a symphony of recurring themes, with many story threads and motifs echoing one another throughout all the films.

The Galactic Symphony website (http://gs.michaelhopcroft.com/), is an in-progress attempt to comprehensively catalog and analyze as many of those motifs as possible, no matter how large or small. Though many sections of the site are still under construction and due for release in this coming year, the two centerpiece sections, "Archive" and "Analysis," are both up and running with a great deal of content.

The largest running section on the site is the "Archive," a massive collection of side-by-side comparisons of certain shots throughout the movies, which serve to illustrate either an echoing story motif (such as The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the Jedi all including funerals in their ending sequences) or a simple recurring visual shot (Artoo being sucked up into a shaft or vessel). Each comparison makes note of where the shot/scene falls in its respective movie, which characters are involved, and frequently includes descriptive/analytical commentary from the person who submitted the comparison. The comparisons are navigated via a single scroll box on the side of the page, which can be sorted chronologically either by the film order or the date the comparisons were added to the site. This section alone offers almost 1200 comparisons, which - since they are all listed together in the same scroll box - can take some time to scroll through.

The Analysis section is almost completely identical in its layout - side-by-side picture comparisons with occasional commentary. I admit to wondering just what the difference was between it and the Archive section that warranted them being listed as separate sections (it's certainly not to take the strain off the size of the already massive Archive section; the Analysis section only has about 20 entries, compared to the more than 1100 of the Archive), but the information in both sections is no less interesting for it.

The site is interactive, and one can submit their own comparisons (as well as post comments on entries) after a quick registration on the site, or through a suggestion thread on the site's message board.

The site does feature a number of ads in its layout, but their placement makes it easy to look past them. The site's pages, especially in the Archive/Analysis sections, seem to load slowly in some browsers (at least on this reviewer's humble laptop) including Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, though slightly less so in Firefox, which the site is apparently designed for viewing in. But the site's massive collection of information usually makes the minor inconvenience worth it - many of the motifs listed I had not yet noticed before (and now that I've seen them almost can't believe I missed them), leaving me even more in awe of the complexity and intricacies of the saga. There are more comparisons listed here than any one person, no matter how observant, could hope to have spotted on their own. As such this site proves very enlightening, and more than proves the Star Wars saga is the symphony its creator sought it to be." - DarthWolvo23

Tonyg and Ezon Pin like this.
  10. 2K-D2

2K-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2016
    Hmm...

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I can't believe anyone remembers these!

Brings back so many good memories.

Just seeing people write about the symphonic harmony in this way makes you wonder, PT fans have also been rhyming constantly

Nothing has changed put the perspective has been expanded upon greatly.

Excellent suggestion Pyro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earlchinna likes this.