main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Re: aliens, keep in mind they just started filming--the alien characters might not even have final designs yet. I wouldn't mind more women, but look at that first TFA cast shot--it's too soon to call it an outright problem.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That guy in the far back also looks like he's snoozing. :p

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You know all the talk about "Top Gun in space" when news about this movie initially came out?

I'm still hoping for that, albeit probably a bit darker. No bar karaoke or tower drive-bys here, it's all real.

But I want the same level of character bonding and humor.

Kylun likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think the "Top Gun in space" stuff was more based off of the (VERY UNDERSTANDABLE) assumption that this would be a X-Wing movie, which it doesn't seem to be.

Abadacus and ATimson like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'm sold. WHAT A CAST.

Revanfan1, CooperTFN, Kylun and 5 others like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like how Nick -- who is positive about everything -- is the one who is unhappy. :p

I'm pretty pleased. I thought the Anthologies (I refuse to use the new stupid name) are great ways to experiment with genre. I still think so. Just because it's SW doesn't mean it needs to have the same space opera feel. That's what the Episodes are for.

Love how hard-bitten the cast is. Love the practical, military look of the outfits and gear. Love the diversity. Love the centrality of Jones. Rather disappointed she's the only woman. But overall the cast is a net plus and a pleasant surprise.

TFA is still what I look forward to most of all but I'm happy about R1 too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    MADS MIKKELSEN GUYS

IF HES AN IMPERIAL I MIGHT JUST FORGIVE THEM NOT MAKING THIS A MOVIE ABOUT AN XWING SQUADRON

If he's not Montferrat that will be a lose for Story Group in my mind. There's no reason not to if the artist requisitioned the piece and was approved to resemble Mads.

Either way I'm stoked by the cast and can't wait to see MADS MIKKELSEN IN STAR WARS

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I doubt the movie and its tie-in authors would want to be limited in any way by a preexisting character who loosely resembles one of the actors according to one piece of artwork. My money is on an entirely new character.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, I am human. Or Mon Calamarian. Regardless, I can be disappointed from time to time.:-B

Note I didn't say I was outright boycotting the film or hated it, but rather than an old school fan like me can't help but here a movie titled "Rogue One" and NOT hope it is about X-wing pilots. :xwing:

--Adm. Nick

Abadacus likes this.
  11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Isn't the character mostly a blank slate though? I don't really much remember his role in Blade Squadron but he came off to me as the regular Imperial villain. Plus, this will come before that, which could mean a lot would be able to change to give space for the character. To my mind, this is where the Story Group could really shine. We know there's a character in the canon that looks EXACTLY like Mads Mikkelsen, and Mads has been cast in the movie. If it was announced that it was Montferrat this would be deemed a massive win for the story group, and his character name hasn't been announced yet so it still could be, despite it being unlikely. I'm just saying that it would be cool if the Story Group pulled that. It would be a coup IMO.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Put it this way, if the Empire suddenly unveils massive Force-wielding human-eating monsters that spit acid that dissolve people on-camera, screams and all - that's when it'll have gone too far.

You can actually do an awful lot of dark stuff under the banner of a kid's story, or rather a story that can be viewed by multiple audience age ranges which is Disney's default. That makes the story-telling much harder but also pure gold when it's hit.

We've become too familiar with the idea that telling stories for kids or adults is mutually exclusive, it isn't, but neither is it easy.

It'll be interesting to see the film certification this and TFA gets, as that will indicate the new direction quite clearly. I'd suspect they are going for PG / 12A.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It apparently gave him a rather extensive biography, which would at least seem to rule out the important option of killing him off in Rogue One or in some other story following it, not to mention restricting him to a role that there may not even be room for in the movie.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's also pretty routine to have characters drawn who look like actors/actresses. Though I get what he's saying about how it would be a coup for the SG -- it would be fairly impressive and give them the appearance of a lot of franchise synergy, which is the narrative they want.

I mean, I agree with you there. I wanted it to be about pilots and I do think the name choice is curious. However: 1. it could still be about pilots who have a significant commando role and 2. title disappointment aside, the actual film is looking to be pretty great.

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Let's be honest here. Kids are gonna watch whatever they want to watch. How many kids play each new Call of Duty game that comes out, or see movies like Mad Max or the Conjuring in the theaters? If it's cool and popular, kids will want to see it, no rating will stop them. If anything, having a higher rating label will make kids want to see it more because it's something they're not supposed to be able to do.

That said, there's no way that Disney and LFL will make an R-rated Star Wars film, at least not for a very long time or if they have a property they are absolutely confident in being able to make money regardless of the rating (see: Deadpool). Star Wars has always been a moderate series content-wise, hovering right on the line between PG and PG-13 where most of the money is there to be made. It's a model that's working very well for Marvel, too. The only really R rated stuff we might get will come via something like Netflix, where the overhead is much lower, where a niche market can be reached without risking poisoning the mainstream well, and where they don't have to worry about box office returns at all.

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I watched war films when I was a kid. That's basically what this is aiming to be.

Looks great, can't wait for some footage.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not particularly bothered about that aspect, it's more that the rating tells us how the people making it are thinking about it, which I'd rate as more important than a kid sneaking in thinking they're going to watch Star Wars Episode XXX.

Having control over what is / isn't done while allowing your creators as much latitude as possible is a tricky balancing, but necessary. There's no point getting kids interested in SW again if you then stick material out bearing its name that is then deemed unsuitable for them. There needs to be a reliable consistency.

If we're honest, over the last 20 years? SW has not had that at all, it's been all over the map.

See I could easily go for a SW version of Where Eagles Dare, watching a plucky Rebel slaughter an entire legion of Stormtroopers. A lot of the old war films though weren't necessarily gory either. Quite a few directors understood that less could be more and that you didn't to spell out the obvious that war was bad, m'kay?

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Mikkelsen would make a great villain, but he's done that so much. I'd be thrilled to see him get to play a Rebel hero.

Also, that way we'd have a better chance of seeing more of him.

19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    They've been very explicit in saying this movie (not all movies or stories going forward) is going to be a bit more gritty than usual. I can't fault them for trying that, since Lucas tried the exact opposite with TPM already. He started the divergence (with the Ewoks in ROTJ, but TPM made it worse).
    This is hopefully going to be all about characters like those nameless, faceless troopers from the Battle of Hoth, a mass of everymen instead of "The Chosen One" with a flashy sword. The latter of which we'll be getting in at least three films, anyway. :p

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Anything that maximizes the amount of Mads Mikkelsen's screen time is perfectly alright with me, though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer him as the grand villain of the film to anyone announced so far. Hannibal Lecter in an Imperial uniform would not be a bad look. Or sound.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those Ewoks also got roasted, blasted, crushed, immolated and killed by a slew of other methods by Imperial stormtroopers so traumatising an entire generation of kids! There was nothing that cuddly about the carnivorous little bastards in Jedi either.

If you want an example of gritty story-telling while spinning a multi-age range suitable story, you could do worse than take a look at the DSN ep The Siege of AR-558.

Pfluegermeister and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    He could do a somewhat plausible Crix Madine, couldn't he. Not a perfect match, but played by a well-known actor.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I need that cut of ROTJ you seem to be remembering. :D

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]
    :(

I'll be honest; with the variety of Marvel movies we're getting, we probably don't have to worry about an R-rated SW film until Boba goes the Deadpool route. Violence alone doesn't seem to cut it these days.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    And very important in that regard: Deadpool isn't happening at Disney-Marvel, it's something that Fox did in spite of their initial thoughts on the matter; but only because internet reaction to a leaked demo clip was so good, and even then it's a "we can't believe they let us make this movie" movie. I can't see anything inside an established Disney brand (Marvel or Star Wars) stray too much from what they know they can sell to their preferred audience.