main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: Shadow of the Sith Novel by Adam Christopher

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I actually think Grogu and Leia choosing not to be full devotees to the Jedi way opens a ton of possibilities for the post ST period and Rey. Especially if Ahsoka, Ezra and Cal are still potentially kicking around.

Luke definitely has at least 2 people that he gave varying degrees of training who chose not to to be full fledged Jedi. How many others potentially are out there? Komat and the Force Collector kid add further wrinkles.

It's possible there are plenty of people with connections to Luke and the Jedi to help Rey continue on her path and collectively rebuild the Jedi Order without putting the sole burden on her shoulders.

Perhaps that was Luke's mistake, taking on that burden alone. And Ahsoka's mistake, for not stepping up when she we needed.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I like how Adam Christopher essentially turned Richard E Grant into his character from Withnail and I

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I demand the finest booze in the Empire! I demand it here and I demand it now!

4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I just bought this book the other day, and I plan on starting it this summer. I had no idea it was so long. The only other Star Wars novel I remember having a page count in the high 400s was the ROTS novelization.

JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It goes by pretty fast.

Jedi Ben and Darth Dnej like this.
  6. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Both of which, coincidently, I have read within the last 18 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Dnej likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have reread this like five times. Sheesh. @Adam Christopher I have other books to read let me live!

SWpants and Darth Caliban like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True but those rereads will have been five hours total, right? [face_devil]

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Shush.

Yes.

SWpants and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I can't even fathom your speed reading Sin.

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    You need to savor the text, enjoy it, research it, catalogue it and then devour it after you let its taste do its magic!

Speed reading and rereads are fine, but if you do it right the first time around and take your time.. ;)

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Tee hee.

@ColeFardreamer, nay. I shall consume at pace, and return for more and more and more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been doing a re-read today - was feeling a bit crap and didn't feel like starting a new book. Should finish tonight or tomorrow.

14. Adam Christopher

Adam Christopher Author of Shadow of the Sith VIP

Oct 13, 2021
    FINALLY, someone spots it! Took a while. I suspect the film is not well known in America.

15. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Finally got the novel today Looking forward to finally read it, after all the praise!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    After? We are not done yet praising it!!! It goes forever on and on...

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    as a New Yorker, I honestly only saw the movie for the first time last year drinking a barrel of homemade wine my wife made for my birthday, it was an experience!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  18. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Wow, what a ride! Love this book so much

And so much to digest and discuss.

By the way, i found Kiza's mask way scarier than Ochi's dagger.

Exim Panshard was really creepy and fascinating. Wonder if his planet was part of the Old Sith Empire and his subjects Sith Purebloods, considering that he wasn't a Darth

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I prefer the idea that Panshard wasn't a Sith. He was a local despot.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Just finished it. Took me a little while longer to get through it as I got sick for a bit right after I got it and couldn't seem to do much focusing for a couple weeks with a really bad headache and my ears all plugged up.

Anyways really enjoyed it and probably one of my favorite new canon novels. Really improved Rise of Skywalker in my opinion. Might have to watch it again here one of these days

One question I have though
    Wouldn't Jakku have been a place Lando and Luke would have at the very least checked out when searching for young Rey given that Lando found Dathan's and Miramar's bodies on the outskirts of Jakku? Perhaps I read it wrong and they weren't found in space right outside Jakku but I got the impression that they did when reading it.

I get that they couldn't really hone in on Jakku for plot reasons as Rey needs to stay there undetected until she is 19. But based on how this story went I felt that Jakku would have been on Luke and Lando's radar.

21. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Think he needs to have been a Sith. Simply being a force sensitive despot, he wouldn't have been able to use Sith Alchemy for forging the mask.

And Yupe Tashu as well as Kiza and the cult considered him to be a powerful Sith Lord. Which wouldn't make sense in this case. Simply being a darksider doesn't make you a Sith.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    At some point, someone would have had to do Sith alchemy long before it was termed such.

Then again, I want the Sith to be one strand of evil in SW, not the strand.

23. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree that it is a strange moment,
    even more for the Sith Eternal agents than Luke and Lando - for the sake of giving their master a powerful host they should have checked every possible variant, starting with checking Jakku yet again.

While I agree that presence of other Dark Side cults is preferable, one of the Sith's features is that they can be quite different. Even yet very few NU Canon ones from Old Republic times, with more or less development - Momin, Caldoth, Krall - quite differ from each other.

24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The Pre-Banite Sith being a little bit more like Conan the Barbarian style warlord sorcerers certainly tracks with the old comics.

I don’t necessarily just want all Sith all the time (Sith and the Imperials are a bit of a crutch in canon storytelling that we desperately need variation from) but in the context of this story it’s absolutely appropriate that Panshard is a Sith clinging onto an unnatural existence post-mortem.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep. Did any of the Sith Eternal outside of Ochi and his crew know that the family had been residing on Jakku? The book makes it very clear that Luke and Lando knew that they had been on Jakku and that they were still looking for Rey (though they didn't know her name at that time) so that is why I brought them up.

I did watch the two very short flashback scenes Rey's parents were in in Rise of Skywalker and in one of them Miramar does say 'She isn't on Jakku. She's gone.' so the book did need to include that line. I do think though for this book it would be easier to get onboard with the idea that the people still searching for Rey wouldn't go back to Jakku if her parents weren't killed in the vicinity of the planet.

It's not that big of a deal and there are often things in Star Wars that you just have to handwave away and go with but I do think this story could use a comic miniseries to wrap up the loose ends. If those loose ends aren't wrapped up it wouldn't be hard to head canon in the idea that they did go back to Jakku to look for her but that Unkar Plutt was keeping her hidden well enough that they couldn't find any leads (as it still would have been within the years time the agreement with Dathan and Miramar was still going on before he would have started requiring Rey to work).

Palp_Faction and Foreign32567 like this.