main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Simplicity patterns being taken off the shelves?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    A friend of mine that works at Hancocks just told me that they were ordered to remove all the Star Wars Simplicity patterns and destroy them. Is this something new from Lucasfilm?? Can anyone else confirm this or know anything more??

Thanks!

2. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    OMG!!!

That is SO WRONG!!!

Someone intercept the patterns! Or at least someone please scan them on a really good scanner!

So wrong...so damn wrong...<sigh>

3. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I work at Joann's and havent heard such a thing. But i'll keep an ear out

4. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    I heard this many a months ago. Grabed them then and glad I did, but I suspect they'll be available if you search at stores that really don't care.

5. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Saw them on the shelves at JoAnn's on Tuesday.

6. pintamino

pintamino Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2006
    I saw them at my local Hancock's yesterday...

7. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    I have all of them !
    fortunatly !

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Holy cow! Don't let that be true! I guess I need to run to the store today and pay full price for a pattern I was thinking of adding to my stash. Grrrr...

I wonder if it is in reaction to the lawsuit LFL won over the stormtrooper armor dude in England? Maybe the pattern company is afraid that the patterns and the look of the models copies the SW designs too closely and they don't want to be targeted for not liscensing this through Lucas? This is just speculation.

9. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I wonder if it is in reaction to the lawsuit LFL won over the stormtrooper armor dude in England? Maybe the pattern company is afraid that the patterns and the look of the models copies the SW designs too closely and they don't want to be targeted for not liscensing this through Lucas? This is just speculation.

Seems likely. o_O Though, ever since the very first one came out, I was wondering how long it would take to get them destroyed (not that they're bad, but I had a feeling nothing was ever approved by Lucasflim) Do you know when they are to be destroyed, Maggie?

~Spacelady

10. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    OMG !!!!

one chance, me too have all of them !

11. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't know much of anything, really. I know that one friend what works at Hancocks was told they needed to pull all the SW simplicity patterns and destroy them. But that's all I know - so I don't know if this is isolated, widespread, or where the directive is coming from. Simplicity? Hancock? Lucasfilm?

12. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    I think that it is simplicity, because the company is afraid to have as of the money has Lucasfilm for the rights...

13. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I noticed they dropped some of them off their site a while back. I just assumed the company was letting them go out of print like so many other types of patterns after flooding the market with them. I could be wrong though.

14. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    yeah, i know they dropped the Padme Battle pattern a while back, because i never could find it when i wanted it, and my local Hancock's never had the Jedi-sort of one filed correctly.
    so far as i know, though, ours are still here, and i'm in Tennessee.

15. ewok78

Jun 20, 2005
    I remember that Master Replica has the licence for official costume( I remember seeing this at C3 for fall 2005).....

16. ewok78

Jun 20, 2005
    no avaiblality on their website.........

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, as is typical for retail - the Hancock's by my house still had the Star Wars patterns. So I got an extra peacock/leia pattern.

18. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I jumped on those patterns as soon as they hit the stores. Maybe I should pick up some extras to have for the future. Being an avid costumer, I've always just modded other patterns and the ready made patterns simplified some steps, but still have to tweek them for movie acurracy. I bet after Halloween they will be harder if not impossible to get. It is a sweet help while it lasts. [face_pumpkin] [face_shhh]

19. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I'm beginning to wonder if my store is lazy....

we havent recieved a letter from the Man(haha) about the patterns. Usually we get a little memo, saying "Pull these patterns" and "write down how many you find"(so employees cant steal them).

20. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    There's two outcomes here, one: either this is just a local thing and most of you don't really need to worry about it, or...two: they will remove them from the shelves, but after Halloween. o_O Some people are actually smart. Maybe they realize how much of a money increase they'll get by having those patterns around during the time of year that most people buy things for costumes. Not sure if any of you have seen it, but I'm definitely seeing many more people in fabric and pattern stores.

But, if they are taken down, it's not a big deal to me. I did happen to get that white jumpsuit pattern and it was horribly off. :(

~Spacelady

21. skywalkerseamstress

skywalkerseamstress Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    Or perhaps, some stores have decided just to "sell out" the rest of their patterns, since they won't be re-orderable.

22. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    I read this on randomsabers.com: this is all because of the stormtrooper armor in England. That is why they are supposed to take it off all shelves. Darn it... WHY?! Oh well, luckily I've got the only guy pattern that they make, #4450.

23. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Singapore whose Simplicity Pattern Stock came from Australia (which gotten it from US several months to a year later than US) cease to have the Battlesuit Pattern for at least a Catalog or 2 ago I think. I was just thinking of asking someone in US to get it for me when the patterns next go on sale. :(

Anyway, I thot it was mentioned here or at the LOTR_Costumes ML that as long as 3-5 things about the pattern is different, company can escape from being sued by LFL/WB/NLC?

The Padme Peacock-Leia Outfits are quite different from its intended design if I am not mistaken isn't it cause of the Raggled Sleeves Dress, Headdress etc etc. And the Padme Battlesuit need a lot more work on the chest part to add more details and the featured picture dun have arm bands, shin guard, not correct no. of pouches etc.

So is Simplicity jumping the gun upon hearding about the LFL Sueing Case?

Darn! Now I got to garb any of the Jedi Pattern left, or even the Padme Peacock-Leia one as a spare.

24. skywalkerseamstress

skywalkerseamstress Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    The "white jumpsuit" pattern was discontinued last Halloween, but it went out with a regular discard, along with quite a few other patterns, but this is the first time our Hancocks has ever received a "pull and destroy immediatly", without having a new batch of patterns or regular discard. Wal*Mart no longer has the patterns in their drawers either, but they still have the ones on their Halloween stand, because they have promotional numbers, not regular drawer numbers, so I think they just were asked to remove the 44-- numbered patterns.
    Who knows....

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I almost wonder, if the models were not so intentionally dressed as characters from Star Wars and the costumes displayed on the pattern covers so close in color to the real things - if then simplicity would be then be able to get away with the actual pattern designs. In other words, it might be not be enough to deviate slightly from the construction of the real costume. The fact that the models are dressed up like Star Wars characters could be enough for LFL to have an issue. Bummer. That really takes the fun out of Halloween for a lot of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.