main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STar Wars: Smuggler FBCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BigPoppaJabba, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Wow, this is really coming along.

I don't remember seeing anything about interrupts or an equivilent card tpe, but here's an idea for one

Bribe
    Destiny *
    Smuggler interrupt
    {Lore if appropriate}
    If your smuggler starship with contraband is borded, pay 1,000 credits to make its cargo legal for remainder of turn. Destiny = 5, but your opponent may pay you 500 credits to make destiny =0.

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Sorry, U1, I beat you to it: :)

Bribe
    Boarding Step: If you are about to be boarded, opponent draws destiny. This is the amount you need to bribe him. Remove that many thousand credits from your stash, and you are free to go. If you do not have that many credits, ignore this card.

3. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Do you like my idea of your opponent being able to pay you in order to reduce the destiny, though?

4. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I like the idea of paying a player to reduce their destiny A LOT. I hadn't thought of that before. But I'd try to keep it simpler, more straightforward, and make it a separate card:

Weapons Step: If opponent just drew destiny greater than 4, pay opponent 500 credits to cancel that destiny.

Now, what would you call this card? It would be generic -- a smuggler could use it to cancel an Imperial's power destiny, or an Imperial could use it to cancel a smuggler's maneuver destiny -- so the name should be generic.

Also, 500 credits seems low. It has a huge impact on a battle, so the cost should be much higher.

To make the card more interesting, how about:

Weapons Step: If opponent just drew destiny greater than 4, pay opponent 1,000 credits to reduce that destiny by 2, or 2,000 credits to reduce that destiny by 4.

Whaddaya think? Any other card ideas?

5. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    I can't see Imperials bribing smugglers, so I think that it should only be a smuggler card.

Contract idea
    Rebel Contract
    *Gunrunning
    Keep in your hand.
    Goal: Deliver ten units of blaster rifles to Derra IV.
    Smuggler Phase: During your draw phase, you may reveal this contract to take any blaster rifle cargo into hand from draw deck.
    Payout: 3,000 credits up front, 15,000 credits on delivery, 15 Virtue
    Reward: Upon completion, you may search your draw deck and take any Ordinance card into hand.

How does this look?

6. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Looks good to me!

7. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Smuggler Interrupt
    They'd Be Crazy To Follow Us
    Destiny 4
    Confrontation Step: Instead of being borded, evade in an asteroid field. Place one damage token on your vessel.

Legal Contract
    *Nothing Illegal, I Promise
    Place on table.
    Goal: Deliver five uints of ore from Dubrillon to Sernpidal.
    Payout: 15,000 credits (20,000 if delivered by Millenium Falcon.
    Reward: Once per turn, may play They'd Be Crazy To Follow Us from draw deck, reshuffle.

8. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    That's good, too.

Okay, guys, throwing out card ideas is great, let's keep that coming, but at the same time let's get a little organized here and really nail down some definite cards.

First, what type of cards do we have in this game? I count 8 major types, with several sub-types:

1. Smuggler Ship
    - Freighter

2. Imperial Ship
    - Capital
    - Fighter

3. Character
    - Smuggler
    - Passenger

4. Ordinance
    - Weapon (starship)
    - Device

5. Cargo
    - Natural (spice, etc.)
    - Munition (guns, ammo, etc.)
    - Supply (med kits, survival gear, holocrons, etc.)

6. Contract
    - Imperial
    - Rebel
    - Hutt

7. Event (?)
    - Smuggler
    - Imperial
    - Generic

8. System
    - Planet

Ordinance would usually be generic, although some cards may have gametext only allowing them to deploy on smugglers or Imperials.

We need a name for Event cards. Interrupts? Actions? Effects? Events? Trainers? (...just joking!) I can't seem to come up with any names that haven't been used before....

Have I forgotten anything???

After we nail down the card types, we would need to do a card anatomy. I proposed a card anatomy earlier for Smuggler Ships (only change I wanted to make to that was call it "Shields" instead of "Armor").

Then after the card anatomy, we need an idea of how many of each card we want to have in the game. That number can be flexible, but I think we want a rough idea of how many cards we need to come up with.

9. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    I like calling them interrupts. Maybe we shoud divide contracts into legal and illegal, then split them into who they are being run for.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, all Imperial contracts would be legal, Rebel and Hutt contracts illegal (unless the card says otherwise) so I don't think that's necessary.

Plus, legal/illegal would be an attribute of the cargo card. Remember, you don't have to have a contract to move cargo around, you can just buy and sell goods from system to system....

11. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Oh, that makes sense.

Another contract idea

Power Core Delivery
    Imperial Contract
    Plays on table.
    Goal: Deliver 10 units of power cores from Corellia to any other shipyard system.
    Payout: 35,000 credits. Opponent may bid on this contract. Virtue -5.

12. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Idea for a card.

Passage to Alderaan
    Rebel Contract

Plays to table if your smuggler is at Tatooine. When you arrive at Alderaan, collect (D'oh, I can't remember how much Obi said)

Lore: Just passengers, myself, the boy and two Droids...An no questions asked!

13. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    We're gonna hafta revoke your SW Fan Club membership, BPJ! :)

"2,000 now, plus 15,000 when we reach Alderaan."

Of course, what Obi really says is "15 when we reach Alderaan." It just occurred to me, did Obi-Wan really intend to pay Han 17,000, or just 2,015?

;)

14. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    The 2000 was a fair price for the trip. He knew that Han knew that. So in Han's mind it would be "even if I don't get the extra 15, I'll still get a decent price for the transport.

My memory often fails....

What was I about to say?

15. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
  16. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Okay, I assume there are no other card types being proposed. So let's move to card anatomy.

As I said, Smuggler ship has been done, but to review:

Destiny Number
    Ship Name
    Cost
    Hyperspeed
    Power
    Maneuver
    Shields
    Pilot capacity
    Cargo space

Moving on to Imperial ships, I see the following statistics:

Destiny Number
    Ship Name
    Cost
    Hyperspeed
    Power
    Maneuver
    Shields

For a squadron, I see Shields representing the number of ships in the squadron times the shields value of each individual ship, and then Power would be variable based on how much shields you have left. For example, if a standard TIE has Shields = 2 and Power = 1, a TIE squadron of 3 ships would have Shields = 6 and Power = X where X is the current shields value divided by 2 (round up).

Alternatively, a separate card statistic could be made to show how many ships are in the squadron.

Any thoughts?

17. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Couple of things...

Destiny.
    While thios was a great mechanic in the SW:CCG, I don't think it wasd as good in Decipher's iother games. The rerason is the excellent "flow of the force" mechanic present in the CCG, but the "Take into hand" mechanic (Which did have it's good features) in JK and YJ.

Plus, destiny is fairly much a Decipher mechanic, and we are not Decipher. However, don't feel like I'm yetoing the concept, I just want as much originality in the game. After all, LotR has managed to add suprise to battle with events (like interrupts did in the CCG)

Another thing, the Imperial ships could have a statistc that shows where they play (deploy seed, whatever).)

I have two weeks holidays, so I will try to work on the "trade route" concept I was working on today.

18. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    BPJ, get that keyboard fixed, man! :D

I don't mind losing destiny numbers, but I didn't want to be the one to say it!

Surely there will be random elements in this game. Would you want dice? Would you consider using a 4-sided die instead of a 6-sided one? A 4-sided die would actually work better with the combat rules I came up with.

19. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Sorry, I tend to type faster than I think. (Check my sig)

The destiny thing depends on what kind of combat events/ interupts we can come up with. I don't dislike destiny, I just think there is a better way...

As I said, I will be away from the internet for a couple of weeks, though I will no doubt get on sometime. In that time, I'll think up a few more things.

See you guys soon...

20. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, if you take out a random element, destiny or dice, see what you can do to revise the combat rules I proposed earlier.

Enjoy your holidays, see you soon!

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Hey, BPJ, I know you're lurking around here somewhere! :)

Any thoughts on revising the combat rules?

22. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Imperial starship ideas

Interdictor Cruiser
    Destiny 2 (if we keep destiny)
    Power 4 Armor 5 Hyperspeed 3
    At the beginning of the move phase, you may use 1 Empire point to prevent all movement from this system.
    Build Cost 5

Imperial Star Destroyer
    Destiny 1
    Power 6 Armor 6 Hyperspeed 3
    Tie fighters are Build Cost -1 at same system. Add 1 to weapon destiny when targeting a smuggler capital ship.
    Build Cost 6

23. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Oh, excuse me, did I BUMP into you?

24. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I had a thought. Instead of drawing destiny to add to power & maneuver during combat, how about using "tactical bonuses" like Jedi Knights? That way, you don't have to have cards whose only purpose is "add 3 to your power or maneuver".

25. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm back for a small time. Anywho, I've done somethinking, and I did a long peice on word, but then dimwit here forgot to take the disk, so, no updates. However, Iwhat I have done does include some ideas relating to trade routes and sectors, and a couple of ideas to throw into the mix which could be either good or bad. We'll see.

Catch you soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.