main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Squadrons [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by black_saber, Jun 12, 2020.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Well I liked it. I did just say the full gameplay reveal is on Thursday. :p

Plus, the press release just confirmed full PSVR support, so I'm in on day one.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hopeless and solojones like this.
  4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's confirmed to be a budget title too. It's retailing for £35 at launch.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    The trailer didn't really do anything to excite me as a person wanting to play games. It was just cinematic stuff. Looking forward to see what actual gameplay will be like.

Also looks like the timeframe is post-Endor with all the mentions of "New Republic."

7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The X-Wing cockpit has been completely rebuilt with the in-game UI in mind if you pay attention. (There's a counter on the dash saying how many fighters are left, and a radar.)

The most interesting addition is right at the start, where it suggests that you have to maintain power between three different systems. (When the Rebel character puts all power into the engines.) Suggesting to me that this may be more space-sim than some might expect. Or at least more involved than the starfighter combat in Battlefront 2.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I DID notice the engine power allocation now that you mention it. That's really welcome definitely. I was afraid of a repackaged BFII space component.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh. Well then I might be interested for the PSVR aspect.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    KEY FEATURES
    • All Wings Report In – Plan skirmishes with your squadron in the briefing room before taking off to the evolving battlefields across the galaxy. Compete in intense 5v5 multiplayer dogfights or unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles. Together, you’re the galaxy’s finest.
    • Master Legendary Starfighters – Take control of different classes of starfighters from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets – including the agile A-wing and the devastating TIE bomber. Modify your ship, divert the power between its systems, and destroy your opponents in strategic space dogfights.
    • Live Your Star Wars Pilot Fantasy – The cockpit is your home. Use its dashboards to your advantage and – with just a thin hull of metal and glass between you and the perils of space – feel the intensity of combat from a first-person perspective. Take off in thrilling multiplayer modes and a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars: Squadrons in VR.
    • The Mission is ClearStar Wars: Squadrons is a fully self-contained experience from day one, where you earn rewards through play. Climb the ranks and unlock new components like weapons, hulls, engines, shields, and cosmetic items in a clear path for progression that keeps gameplay fresh and engaging.
    https://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-squadrons

This is the only part that sounds semi interesting to me: "...a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War."

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'll laugh if this tiny game with presumably little EA interference (No microtransactions? At all? In a multiplayer game? Wut?) ends up being really good.

Because there's a lot in that press release to like.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Crossplay, no micro-transactions, 5v5, post-ROTJ, Starhawks (!!!), Vanguard Squad vs Titan Squad. Gameplay trailer reveal Thursday.

El_Machete12, solojones and Chewgumma like this.
  13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Same. I'm terrible at multiplayer games so it's nice to hear that there's a story mode. I won't even mind if it's a short campaign. I used to play Rogue Leader on the Gamecube over and over and over and those chapters probably only last ten or fifteen minutes. If this game does a similar thing as Rogue Leader and lets me play chapters over and over again whenever I want and those chapters are good then I'm on board with this game.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Multiplayers sounds fun, the one thing Fallen Order doesn't have is options to play with other people.

Battlefront does, and that Campaign story was OK.

But Battlefront is really a FPS game, it's cool to have a Star Wars space fighter game.

Now all we need is a good remaster of Episode I Racer

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Fallen Order doesn't need options to play with other people because of what it is, a single player action game.

A space sim is ripe for multiplayer though. I've thrown my caution to the wind and have gotten hype for this.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No microtransactions! Play the whole game in VR! Okay, now you're talking. That press release was better than the actual trailer.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Another reason to get VR, other than Half Life:Alyx

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Told you it sounded good, didn't I? :p

solojones likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wasn't there already a Star Wars X-Wing VR game?

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It was a mission within the first Star Wars Battlefront, exclusively for PSVR, that was done as part of the PR deal EA had with Sony at the time.

It wasn't a whole standalone game.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, that must be what I'm thinking of.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Platform-agnostic multiplayer is a huge selling point for me. I don't usually care about multiplayer, but if I can actually squad up with friends regardless of where they're playing it, that's a huge plus.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Another multiplayer bait-and-switch. Pass.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Liking what's been revealed so far, but I want to see that gameplay first. I could see myself enjoying it, but I'm usually terrible at space combat even though I like flying.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- and it'll make organizing some matches on the board a lot easier, too, if we don't have divide folks up by platform.