main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jun 12, 2020.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, it's on GOG/Steam.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This game seems it's like everything I hoped it would be. Of course, my computer probably won't be able to play it. I couldn't play the free trial or beta or whatever it was of Battlefront 2 because it ran too slow.

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It's surprisingly resilient, I resurrected it for TPM anniversary and *that* was podracing.

DarthJaceus, CooperTFN and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah your average N64 cartridge and system will probably outlast your average gamer lifespan

Amon_Amarth and DarthJaceus like this.
  5. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I am super excited for this! Hopefully this becomes a new successful franchise and we get sequels where you are a smuggler/bounty hunter and get a crew of buddies to go on missions like in Sea of Thieves.

Hopeless likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "new locations"

Can't say I erased the mental burn received from our last encounter with Esseles in Dark Times.

8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Mental burn? Dark Times? You may have to remind me.
    Also, I think we see Nadiri around 1:25 in the trailer?

Tech wise, I still have a Window's XP laptop, with a Logitech joystick, but I'm not sure my few remaining gigabytes of memory are up to the needs of this? Also, is not on X-box, which would have been handy this time around.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hey has anyone played Rogue Squadron on Steam? I want to know if I can play it with a Game Cube USB controller, or if not what my best controller option is. Thanks in advance!

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Squadrons is on X-Box, and no modern games support Windows XP anymore, it will most likely need DX10 or 11 to play.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    An XP machine definitely won't be. Here are EA's minimum and recommended PC specs:
    Recommended (non-VR) / Minimum (VR):
    Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G
    Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700
    Memory: 16GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 480 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1060 or Equivalent
    DirectX: 11
    Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Hard Drive Space: 30GB

Recommended (VR):
    Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G
    Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700
    Memory: 16GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 570 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1070 or Equivalent
    Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Minimum (non-VR):
    Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 1300X
    Processor (Intel): Intel I5-7600
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7850 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 660 or Equivalent

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm wondering how this will work. The 501st was split at the end of the Clone Wars between Rex's group on Mandalore and the rest who invaded the Jedi Temple. All the ones on Mandalore died except for Rex (Wolffe isn't a member of the 501st from what I can see and of course neither was Gregor), and for Hawk to appear alive in Squadrons he has to have been one of the clones who marched with Anakin/Vader on the Jedi Temple. Why doesn't he just tell Luke that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader?

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    he might just be hit with grief and pstd for what he did to the jedi and other worlds before the empire let him go. Maybe he dosen't want Luke to know of Vader.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...is 3.4 GHz appreciably different from 3.6 GHz?

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It actually matters more what architecture the CPU is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth . That's why the system requirements say stuff like i5 CPU, i7 cpu instead of GHz. An i9 processor with a 3.1 Ghz base speed likely will outperform an i5 processor with a 3.6 GHz base speed. And that's not even getting into cores, hyperthreading etc.

Wrinty, Senpezeco and CooperTFN like this.
  17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I always have a hard time understanding technical requirements unless I have the exact things listed in the requirements. Maybe someone can look at this and let me know. It says my processor is AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.90 GHz. I don't know what Memory means as a separate thing from Hard Drive Space, unless they mean RAM. I have 8 GB of RAM, 6.94 GB usable. My graphics card is AMD Radeon(TM) R6 Graphics. I can't figure out what version of DirectX I have because the DirectX Diagnostic Tool refuses to open. I keep clicking on it and nothing happens (a great example of how awful my computer is).

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Looks like mine is an i7 so I guess that's good. My graphics card is a Radeon HD 7770 versus the minimum 7850; what about those?

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Sometimes below minimum specs might still work if you set the resolution low and the settings all the way down, but there might be framerate issues and it seems your card is a fair bit weaker: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-7850-vs-AMD-HD-7770/2182vsm7710 You may want to look into an upgrade, or wait until the game comes out and see how it runs.
    @Daneira it seems to me you have an integrated graphics chip with your CPU and not an actual video card. Further indication of this is how a chunk of your ram (memory means ram here) seems to be allocated elsewhere (possibly for graphics) and you were already at just the minimum requirement of 8 gb of ram for this game. It seems to me that you may not be able to run this at a decent speed, but that is just my guess. You could order it and try, just be prepared for a refund if it isn't playable. If you're serious about this game, I would really look into playing it on console or buying a different more powerful computer if you aren't able to upgrade your existing PC (and upgrade options might be limited if it's a laptop like i suspect it is).

Senpezeco, Daneira and CooperTFN like this.
  20. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, I'm not surprised. I bought this laptop for $100 because I needed a Windows computer for work and I already had a MacBook Pro, which has long since died. Oh well. TIE Fighter still runs perfectly! Even the worst computer from 2014 can still run any game from 1994.

starfish and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Flightstick support is cool- though i doubt the one I have is supported anymore, given that I bought it for X-wing CD, TIE Fighter & Rebel Assault II when they first came out. It also uses a ps/2 connector as well, heh (actually, might even be the old Mac ADB connector, come to think of it... can't rmember if there was an adaptor on that or not...).

Then again, probably a moot point unless there's a Mac version (my Vista/W7 hybrid PC can barely turn itself on these days, even though it was able to handle Sim City earlier this decade). I'll probably be stuck using a dualshock, unless it comes to Switch. I guess that's not entirely horrible, since that's what we had to use to play Jedi Starfighter long ago. Still, not my first, second or even third pick for controls.

Though, i was hoping to build a PC sometime in the next year. Not sure I can afford it before the game launches, but if that changes I'll keep it in mind (then again, every gaming PC I've ever bought to play a Star Wars game on has committed suicide in ways that each shed light on new and frustratingly idiotic flaws in Windows, so the Force may not be with me in such an endeavor).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    If it could be put on an external drive, that may be enough space. Still, there are newer computers available, for my other needs.

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Strange, I've used Windows all my life and although it certainly had issues each PC lasted up until I hit upgrade limits. I had a Windows ME PC that got upgraded to XP from 2001 to 2009, got a Windows Vista PC in 2009 that went through 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 before retiring it in 2018, and now have a Windows 10 PC made in 2018 that's still good and should easily run Squadrons. The only current hiccup I have with it is it was built just before ray tracing RTX cards came out, and the RTX cards I tried won't work, likely due to a UEFI conflict but I don't want to mess with that at this time. I try to keep my PCs well protected and even have battery backups for power outages, and make monthly hard drive backups.

Each gaming PC I had, as seen above, lasted 8 or 9 years, the greater part of a decade. I also have a Steam Link on my TV to stream PC games to it if I want to play in the TV room if my cat is relaxing there, thus I don't even bother with consoles (XBox, Playstation, etc.) as a lot of the game libraries overlap with PC's anyway.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I bought a desktop to play SW Galaxies on and it started to die around the time KOTOR and Jedi Academy came out (input delay for mouse clicks only and only during games). Then it eventually devolved to a point where it wouldn’t recognize keyboards at all.

Then far more serious issues arose whose only solution was to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows. And I had the CD to do it with. Except the stupid installer program installs part of itself on the hard drive- and cannot, therefore, erase a drive that it itself is partially on.

And, of course, you could try booting from CD- except that Windows needs you to hold down a key on the, yep, keyboard devices that it won’t recognize- even when you click on the option to do so. :oops:

I ultimately had to remove the hard drive, bring it another person’s house, slave it to their PC, and then be able to reformat it (itself a pain because I didn’t know many PC users at the time locally). The dumbest, most unnecessarily elaborate fix required I’ve ever encountered.

After it was finally fixed, I forget what happened other than a physical component on the main board died or something. So it was all for nothing, heh.

My subsequent Vista machine (purchased to use as a register but then upgraded afterwards for StarCraft II) also had a board issue. I then merged that into a cheap W7 machine someone made me to play Sim City on- but W7 kept getting daily viruses that took hours to repair so I ended up having the more resolute Vista drive be the main boot drive for that machine and have kept that that way ever since.

So, I got about 1.5-2 years out of the gaming rig, maybe 2-3 years out of the register machine (after a year as a register) and a few useable weeks out of the W7 build. And then, 7-8 decidedly non-gaming years out of the Frankenstein end product.

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    That all sounds really rough :(