main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Target Vader (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 23, 2019.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So aside from this looking awesome, I have one question:

That second page scan. Have we seen that species before? Or is it a cross between a Sullustan and an Iktochi? If no one knows, I know what to write in my own personal canon journal...[face_whistling]

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    New species from TLJ and Solo, so far unnamed.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    As cool as Darth Vader is they (especially the comics) really need to give the character a rest.

Fire Dog, kalzeth and vong333 like this.
  5. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    id argue this is more using Vader to show off Valance

6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    MY POINT STILL STANDS. Sultochi it is!

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If people buy the books, why stop?

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Obviously from a business perspective it's sound. I'm just saying we've had alot of Vader stuff and that it's possible to overuse a character and dilute their impact.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    My point was that people obviously like to read about Vader, because otherwise the comics wouldn't sell. You may be right that overexposure may settle in at some point, but that depends on the quality of the storylines really.
    People still read Batman comics and there have been a bazillion of those.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm not denying that they sell well which is definitely a major factor in there being so many releases. Also more power to the people who want more.

I'm just saying, from my perspective, given that there is a finite number of slots, and given that we have already got so many Vader comics recently, it'd be good to space them out a bit. I know that that's probably not going to happen, but that's my perspective on it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  11. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    Not many. About Vader usually write very little, and the current comics are some of poor quality, so they can not be considered. Personally, I will not survive the reduction of the Vader line! I faithfully buy all the comics with him and all the books with him. I want more works with him. And spin-off about Vader! Lord Vader IS Star Wars. [face_love]

I would say, to embarrass Valance. It is clear that the comic will be the next mockery, where the usual bounty hunters will try to kill Vader. Funny... pfff... I hope they at least show a clear motivation of Valance. Why did he decide to kill Vader? For what? For being kicked out of the Empire when he became a cyborg? What does Vader have to do with it? Milord... scapegoat of the Empire... [face_sigh]

12. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I agree. It feels like over-saturation, and I wouldn't really want Vader to be the Star Wars equivalent of Batman. It's also the sense of a new Vader comic "taking the place" of a potential comic for some other, less-exposed character. We've had two great Vader series focusing on important points in his life, so I'd rather hear from another character for a little while.

Fire Dog and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm not sure that applies.
    Fact is: Marvel needs comic sales. Only when they make a profit they can potentially invest some money into so-called lesser characters.
    Vader and the whole Star Wars mainline series keeps the boat afloat.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    But is Vader the only character could pull these types of sales numbers?

15. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    Can you immediately call a character who is better than Lord Vader?
    I doubt anyone could top the man for whom the whole Star Wars Saga was created.

themoth likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't know. Star Wars mainline sells better than Vader, but not much else. Poe Dameron was cancelled and Aphra sales are close to cancellation numbers, unfortunately.

Star Wars comics aren't doing so well these days which probably has to do with a waning interest in SW in general.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    And the thing about the Batman comics -- if we're going to use that analogy for a moment -- is that those stories ride massively off their diverse cast of villains. It's not so much "who is Batman gonna pound in this issue?" so much as "how is the villain is going to mentally/emotionally test Batman in this issue?"

I sort of feel like... that won't work with Vader. It's not that they haven't developed enough routine Vader antagonists (although I guess they haven't), but it's hard to emotionally test Vader too much before he starts to seem very soft. Vader's put all other emotions except rage on hold during his time with the Emperor; sure he can show a little bit of Anakin here and there, but it's hard to explore and keep him the badass we all want to read about.

kalzeth and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    So you're saying they need to kick-start Vader's Rogues Gallery by recanonizing his greatest foe, Lady Dhol the Chess-Playing Space Octopus.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would gladly go for a Anakin and Obiwan series set between TPM and AOTC then another Vader series.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They already did Anakin and Obi-Wan as a five-parter. Maybe that was to test whether or not it had potential to become an ongoing series.

That said, I think an ongoing featuring Anakin & Obi as well as other Jedi during that time would have some potential.

kalzeth and Sith Iratus like this.
  21. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    Lady DHOL NEEDS TO COME BACK Also anything with Anakin between 1 & 2 would be gold like How was his time at the temple being the chosen one. How many kids were his friends how many were his bullies . how many times did sheev sneak in and drop sage wisdom

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Basically all of that is in the first issue of Soule's Obi-Wan & Anakin series.

23. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    But theres more to see and flesh out with it . isn't there ? I know I want more

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like if they were to do another Vader run the only thing I feel that would be remotely interesting and a legit reason to do it if the Vader run took place post Empire Strikes Back and dealt with the post Empire Pre Jedi period, that's the most interesting last Vader thing to do honestly.

Deliveranze, Wrinty and Darth Corydon like this.
  25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Vader is the new Thanos. Funny thing is that GL said that Vader was now 80% as opposed to what he could have become. He said the Emperor wanted Anakin because of his super force potential but after losing to Obi-Wan, Vader became some 20% less than the Emperor in terms of force power. Now flash forward to Disney Star Wars and I feel like the Emperor is 250% less than Vader. Vader can now fly himself, take on whole armies like in Vader down comic, and do very impressive force feats like in Lords of the Sith novel. I haven't even gotten into the Rebels tv series and RO movie, not to mention Galaxy of Adventures. Vader is amped.

If its true that the Marvel star wars comics are not doing so well its because there stories aren't that exciting. Sorry but Dr. Aphra doesn't cut it for me and neither does the one shot character issues. The movies have uneventful tie in comics. ROTS had Obsession and while that 5 issue series may have not been super hot, it was good along with Dark Horse's Star Wars on-going. TFA what does that have? TLJ had that Phasma comic that was uneventful for me, and RO had nothing except a one shot comic and Solo, a movie that was lackluster at the box office had all sorts of tie-in's with comics. Talk about weird and now Rise of the Skywalker has a 4 issue series, which I am not expecting much of.

The problem with the Marvel line is that the star wars comics are character centered stories as opposed to Dark Horse which managed to tell event type stories with different characters not always involving the big three in the star wars universe. Now that the glitter of Marvel getting the Star Wars license has started to fade, you are staring to see that the comics are kinda bland.

kalzeth likes this.