main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Target Vader (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 23, 2019.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Seems like it; they confirm Valance's suspicion by speaking Basic during the fight.

And looks like we've also got the name of the Not-Winter Rebel woman from #1: Rebak, the Rebellion's buyer of the bot-drones.

TiniTinyTony and kalzeth like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22
    3 of 6 released

Concerning #3 "The Trap" - really enjoying this run so far, btw.
    This was a well executed trap. Valence must know that there is a leak on his team as he knew that the Empire / Vader would show up on the Hidden Hand base they were given access to. I thought it was cool that we got a mini "space" battle with drones since each character had a part to play. Valence and his ship were bait as Urrr'k manned the gun on Valence's ship. Chio Fain operated the drones that took down the lone Star Destroyer. After Vader and his surviving tie pilots land, Dengar and Honnah take our the remaining ships and probably the pilots with them so it's essentially all of them verse Vader in the next issue.

Wef is a new character. Looks like a cross between a fly and a slingshot for a head. He supplies ships for the Hidden Hand, and he claims to not know much, but he mentions a few things like a female named "Rebak" and a "Chagrian" this is his go between "bounty hunter" person that he works with. So half way through the story, we'll probably meet and see more of these two characters at some point, maybe at the end of part 4 into part 5.

For my own reference:
    Honnah - female gamorrean, tracker, bounty hunter
    Urrr'k - female, tusken raider, sniper, revealed to not a "real" tusken as they don't leave Tatooine
    Chio Fain - Ardennian aka four armed monkey, slicer, possibly insane
    Dengar - male human, bounty hunter

3. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    I figured Urrr'k was a Rebel spy, though Valance has just blown a hole my notion of a Tusken disguise being "Wire proof" by real Tuskens never leaving Tattoine. He/she says "May the Force be with us" indicates that they're a Rebel spy and not an Imperial one.

But I'm wondering, could Urrr'k really be one of the Rogue One people in disguise? Cassian has been a Rebel spy since he was a kid, and is a skilled rifle marksman. And Jyn worked in various criminal enterprises after she and Saw parted ways.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  4. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Oooh! I never thought about it being Cassian! My first thought after reading your post was him on the edge of the cliff with the sniper rifle about to snipe Galen. Any speculation about where this falls on the timeline? I didn't see anything that would preclude this being set shortly before RO. I seriously hope it's Andor now

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I was under the impression that Target Vader leads right into Empire Ascendant, which means this would be around 3 ABY.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #4 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Crimson_Guard975

Sep 17, 2014
    If that's the case, then it might be Luke under that Tusken hood. He was a good marksman even before he was trained as Padawan (bullseye-ing womprats and all that), and growing up on Tattooine, he may have been taught some familiarity with Tusken language and customs (like settlers in areas surrounded by Native Americans, or civilian neighborhoods with a strong gang presence, kids are taught what the neutral colors are), and has a bit of a grudge against Vader for killing Obi-Wan and (he thinks) Anakin.

I was under the impression that this was before Rogue One because I get the general sense here that the Rebels are still in the "free slaves and disrupt Imperial supply lines" M.O. and they want to move up by going after the Empire's High Command.

8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well, now we know who's under the hood. Ten points for "Rebel spy".

Wrinty likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    haven't gotten to issue #4 yet but issue #3 was a nice action spread issue, sometimes Star Wars comics can get a tad talky so it was fun to see large scale action in one issue.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22 @Sinrebirth
    4 of 6 released

Re: #4
    Seriously, huge spoiler...
    Dengar is the mole! No way! I guess the obviously answer was the obviously answer. I wish there was more of a twist, but I guess it had to be him since he's "trusted" by Vader to find Solo in TESB.

Anyway, with the obvious out of the way, I think this issue was really well done. We got a little backstory on each character to show the motivation against Vader and their hate for the Empire. We got Urrr'k's real name - Gita - from the planet Mytar. We don't know yet why she's there, but we do see someone teaching her how to be a sniper. It may be the same woman who is the leader of the Hidden Hand that we've only seen once in the first issue at the end. I know everyone in the SW universe doesn't have to be related, but I have a feeling that they may be sisters.

To me, it makes sense since the Empire has an inside guy, why wouldn't the Hidden Hand have an inside person - in this instance - Gita. If they were to successfully take down Vader, then I'd assume Gita would take down that person, ensuring they weren't taking down someone and putting someone more powerful in their place that would also need to be taken down.

I don't get how the EMP only hit Valence and not Vader as well. I guess we'll find out the fallout in #5.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  11. Crimson_Guard975

Sep 17, 2014
    The blonde woman at the asteroid listening post? That's Commander Rebak, she's a Rebel Cell leader, not Hidden Hand.

I was under the impression that was Gita's mother teaching her how to shoot, not her sister.

Dengar sabotaged the EMP.

Darth_Pevra and TiniTinyTony like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Man, my boy really never gets a break, does he? One week he's dealing with no good rebels, next week there's a Jedi on the loose and now bounty hunters are shooting him. But like always, he just shrugs it off like a boss. Without the dark side he'd probably be a total wreck - and maybe his weakened connection to the Dark Side in VI weakened him physically during his duel with Luke.

Fun, action-packed issue. Dengar is the only smart one of the pack besides Valance himself. Everyone else willingly plays the role of cannon fodder - and thus their fate was death by Vader. I hope Valance survives. Maybe Vader sees some value in a crafty creature such as Valance? "Valance agent of Vader" is a book I'd definitely read. Dengar could be his annoying sidekick.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Pretty sure Gita is still alive. And as for the others, they didn't really care whether they lived or died as long as Valence got the shot to take out Vader.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    lot of fighty fighty with good art and the flashbacks provided context. Also that dude got 3 of his arms chopped off at once, ah! Vader lost 3 limbs at once too, he probably knows the feeling.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    5 of 6 released

re: #5
    Some great flashback stuff giving us a recap of what happened to Valance and what lead to this current story. It seems like Vader/Empire or maybe Valiance himself created the Hidden Hand when he got revenge against the raiders of his home planet of Chorin.

We finally get to see what Urrr'k looks like without the mask as she's with her rebel commander, last seen in the very first issue.

Definitely looking forward to #6. I wonder if that red ruby that Yura gave Valance will show up again.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Story took an interesting turn, I like that. Wonder where Valance will end up, as a rebel or as a servant of Vader? Or maybe he dies, but that wouldn't be very typical of marvel, look at all the stuff Aphra survived. The Rebellion doesn't seem like a very good fit, however, considering how broken he is.

Made me realize Vader sympathizes with those who fight for their people, yet he himself has no people.

I am curious how the story will end. Apparently Valance will have a fight with Vader, but that's not saying much.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah the most interesting part about this turn of events is that Valance appears to have taken the job of killing Vader just to find The Hidden Hand. Plus I wouldn't trust the cover that he and Vader actually fight, but if they do, it's probably over who finally gets to kill The Hidden Hand, unless the organization has a surprise up its sleeve to make Valance take his focus off of them and back onto Vader.

Darth_Pevra and kalzeth like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the third artist in 4 issues is pretty jarring but there was cool Vader stuff in here, basically him saying that Valance's family was safe for now was great. Did Valance make Hidden Hand or not cuz that seemed what he was saying.

21. Crimson_Guard975

Sep 17, 2014
    He doesn't die. He's in Empire Ascendant, which takes place shortly before Empire Strikes Back.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    6 of 6 released

A lackluster ending IMO to say the least but I guess they tied everything together and left it open for his next adventure...

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I continue to enjoy the character of Valance and am curious what's next for him. The ending I thought was okay, nothing to exciting but everything seemed to fit well together.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It wasn’t spectacular but I rather like this arc. I never say no to another Vader fix.

TiniTinyTony likes this.