main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    That's true, good point. I've had my say at the end of the day. I probably should shuffle off to the Dungeons and Dragons or Star Trek reddit or something. or Agents of Shield reddit.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sounds fun [face_party]

sidv88 likes this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Vader and Palpatine, arrogant Sith Lords that they are, might have believed that, but I certainly don’t. I don’t believe that the Galactic Civil War was only 3 battles fought entirely on 3 planets, over the course of 5 years. The end of ROTJ featured a montage of worlds rising up and celebrating the fall of the Empire. That to me is indicative of widespread rebellion and insurgency that exists outside of the lead characters and events shown in the OT. Therefore, there is room for other characters in the rebellion to exist during that time period.

Though...I’m sorry, but if I’m to be honest I think you’ve been terribly disingenuous for this entire discussion. Essentially you’re trying to justify the fact that you wanted all of the Rebels protagonists to die horribly or suffer terrible indignities like chattel slavery or sexual servitude because the series was ultimately more upbeat and hopeful than you wanted it to be.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Aren't we getting into personal territory here? Got any proof? Note that I'm not saying this about your or any other poster... I respect different opinions without attacking their supposed motivations, which I don't pretend to know over the people actually saying their opinions.

Note how you immediately implied that a possible enslavement of Hera I mentioned was to be a gender enslavement scenario when I later pointed out she could easily be enslaved by Gardulla for menial labor.

It's the end of a long war. Literally everything leading to it isn't going to be pretty. World War 1. World War 2. The tone of Rebels feels off to me, and quite frankly when I like "light" shows I expect them to be in the proper timeframe (Jedi Temple Challenge I'm a big fan of). See my consistent praise of the show over at the Jedi Temple Challenge thread, other than the bizarre difficulty imbalance.

I love Jedi Temple Challenge but if it's revealed that it actually takes place during the Great Sith War or something, I'd understandably raise the same complaints.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Enough.

This is not just off-topic, now antagonistic.

I shall lock the thread if it continues, and it won't reopen until I get a PM with evidence of news.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sam! Your NDA! Don't forget!

There's Star Trek and Agents of Shield threads right here on the forums!

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...0-years-of-star-trek-general-thread.30143300/

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/agents-of-shield-discussion-thread-and-slingshot.50015245/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I can believe the latter (especially as it's a fellow Disney franchise) but Star Trek on a Star Wars board? Isn't that some universe shattering break of procedure because everyone knows those franchises are mortal enemies? [face_laugh]

I will admit though that Agents of Shield is a bit more what I was looking for when I mean Disney shows can still be dark. That show doesn't pull punches, yet at the same time doesn't try to hide behind a "Hey look how brooding and cool I am" stereotype the way the Mandalorian (who still feels more like a masculinity device than a character) does. Admittedly it's a tricky balance, and Agents of Shield itself stumbled more often than not in its first season, so the Mandalorian still has a chance to grow out. It also helps that Agents of Shield wove its own pathway outside of the MCU films so that it doesn't feel out of place (because they aren't really connected to Civil War, Sokovia etc.)

Star Trek has taken a totally different approach to continuity though especially in the latest shows. They adhere to dialogue continuity rather than special effects continuity (the NCC 1701 is unrecognizable, but obscure lines from decades ago are acknowledged). Star Wars hasn't needed that yet because (especially with the special editions) the oldest works still hold up fairly well.

Bad Batch ironically has Ahsoka novel and Rebels to run up against. So we'll see how clean their "dialogue" continuity is. Admittedly though shaky track record has precedence already with Ahsoka novel vs TCW Season 7

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I can believe the latter (especially as it's a fellow Disney franchise) but Star Trek on a Star Wars board? Isn't that some universe shattering break of procedure because everyone knows those franchises are mortal enemies? [face_laugh][/QUOTE]

The worst part about being a Star Wars and Star Trek fan is having to deal with four movies directed by JJ Abrams instead of just two.

They go along with dialogue continuity when it suits them. For example, there's a whole episode of TOS about how women aren't allowed to be Starfleet captains. It's obviously very good that they ignored that episode, though. And they had visual continuity up until Discovery (thanks, JJ!) Every time there was a time travel episode back to the TOS timeframe, they made sure everything looked exactly the same as it did in the 60s. Enterprise even came up with an explanation for the TOS Klingons' appearance (the augment virus). There's an episode of Voyager that has flashbacks that take place during Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and not only did they completely recreate the bridge of the Excelsior, they even got back every single extra that was in the scene and had them reprise their roles, five years later. The mirror universe episode of the Enterprise, In a Mirror Darkly, where they find the ship from the Tholian Web episode that's shifting through time and dimensions, once again, the entire ship (which in the original episode was the same set as the Enterprise) was created. All the dead bodies in the ship in In a Mirror Darkly are in the exact same place they were in the Tholian Web. There's that Deep Space 9 episode where they actually travel in time back to the Trouble with Tribbles episode.

BigAl6ft6 and sidv88 like this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think that's basically been retconned into the character in question being insane and not knowing what she was talking about, or something. As you said, it's for the best anyway.

More problematic is Pike's "I'm not used to women on the bridge" line in the Cage. Especially now as it's been definitely shown he went to Starfleet Academy with women, this will just have to be written off as Pike having a really bad day after that Rigel incident and saying completely nonsensical and offensive things. He overall is shown to be a nice character but on very rare occasions says jerkish things to people (not women) in Discovery if you keep a look out, including a rather snide comment to Tyler despite knowing full well (minor spoilers)
    that Tyler was brainwashed and had no control over his actions that Pike is referring to

clone commander bossk likes this.
  12. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I’m intrigued over which area he is referring too...

clone commander bossk likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes! Clone Rebellion!

PimpBacca likes this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Didn't this happen in Legends and Vader sent Boba Fett to beat them back into submission?

Sinrebirth and Vialco like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Kamino i bet is under imperial control by the OT i bet. Clone rebellion and Cody as the leader.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Battlefront 2 in 2005

Nom von Anor and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    That was fun in those days, hope this show gives us another clone rebellion.

Xammer likes this.
  19. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I'd love to see how Lama Su & Co. cope with the Empire.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They'll be fine. They already got a new job making clone bodies for the emperor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Nah that's the sith eternal, Kamino got dumped after he no longer needed them. He learned all about cloning he needed from them. I bet by OT they under imperial control and humans are in charge. Mandalorian hints of that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Has it ever been explained why the Empire goes through the trouble of enslaving Wookiees instead of cloning ones genetically altered to be obedient?

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Slaves, they need slave work force to help them build star destroyers and death stars. it's easier to enslave races then clone them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    There's also a symbolic value. By enslaving the Wookiees, a species know across the galaxy for their strength and ferocity, the Empire sends a message that, to quote that other big Star franchise, resistance is futile.

Nom von Anor, Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It does make me wonder why that other Star franchise's cyborgs always go for the Federation and seemingly never the Klingons.
    Lieutenant Boimler: Admiral Janeway, I'm here to report that the latest Borg attempt at assimilating the Federation has failed.

Admiral Janeway: As usual. Once again all is right in the galaxy. Now, where's my coffee?

Lieutenant Boimler: But, after being driven off, the Borg fleet promptly assimilated the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Free State. They're rebuilding, galactically speaking, right next door for another shot at us. One wonders why they never did that before.

Admiral Janeway: ...

Iron_lord likes this.