main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ultimately this is the real answer, yes. Darth Vader works being redeemed (for example) works on a fairy tale level (especially with him dying) — it doesn’t work as well if you think how this would work if the universe were real.

We can have a happy ever after in Star Wars.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Ginkasa, Sinrebirth , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Bad batch kill people all the time. Anytime wrecker gets his hands on an explosive clones die.
    And they umbreans are given no characteristics. They aren't monsters, they are the enemies. Which is kinda the point of a war scene? Band of Brothers didn't show us pastoral German home lives during the allies invasion.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    They set to stun when fighting Clone Army, but use kill when fighting Trandos.

So that makes it ok? Treat these people just like the Uruks in lord of the rings? From my view the Clone Army are enemies, enemies of Freedom and servants of Palpatine.
    But hey it Star Wars, double standards seem to be baked in.

BoB might not but Furry does. Times change.

4. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The last episode "The Outpost" was fantastic. I actually liked it a lot better than the Mandalorian episode which is weird for me because I'm not generally into cartoons and content aimed at younger audiences
    It's because that's how they think kids will see it. Kids will see the Clones as not necessarily bad guys so don't want the heroes killing them but the lizards? go nuts, kill them all. Can't forget it's a childrens show

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I find this kind of funny cause I remember all the complaining about the Bad Batch not using stun rounds in season 1 when fighting other clones - they only seem to have switched to stun after the incident with wrecker and seeing how bad the chips really were first hand. Also more recently I saw someone complain about Omega warning the Axis Vanguard droids to back off before fighting, whereas she had ambushed clones with lethal force before (since her bow doesn't seem to have a stun setting)

And when push comes to shove, the Bad Batch still kill clones if they have to - see everytime they shoot down a fighter or gunship. Or, for that matter, this very incident where the heroes big plan to lure the convoy into a nest of horrible spider monsters kills all the clones in the convoy as well as the trandos.

....and honestly, even as someone who likes trandoshans and wishes we got more prominent heroic trandoshans, and frankly hopes Cid does redeem herself for that reason, these particular trandoshans were mercenaries. They chose to be there, I can get why the Bad Batch, and the audience, would feel more sympathetic to the clones who had less say in the matter. Not no say, so the heroes aren't total monsters for feeding them to spiders, but still less.

....Plus, if we really want to get into the messy ethics of it, one has to wonder why police and civilians are allowed to have blasters with kill rounds at all? Why aren't stun only blasters the default? They work as well for self-defense, and rebels show they even work on droids.

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Not only mercenaries, but slavers too, one of the most universally despised professions.

MercenaryAce and JediFett10 like this.
  7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Even in a galaxy far far away ACAB

MercenaryAce and Ewoklord like this.
  8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Spare the Human kill the Alien? haha sounds about right.
    I think BB (and TCW especially) were 'dumb' kids shows. Where they think they need to dumb things down for kids, though season 2 of BB is slightly better. At least compared to Batman/X-man the Animated Series from the 90s. Or the shows of Mainframe entertainment. Or even Avatar the Last Airbender (Korra is aimed at an older audience so I don't count it).
    It may be unfair to compare them but that is where I make my comparison.

It is part of Trandoshian Culture. You humans are all racist!

Video for those not in on the joke

One could consider the Empire slavers of the galaxy.

9. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    And it is endeed. But the difference is that individual clones do not have any material gain from it (and not only from it - they don't have any material gain from the Empire's exploitation of the galaxy, in opposite even to orcs and Uruk-hai, that could plunder the villages and steal goods for themselves). While individual trandoshans make more money the more Wookiees and others they capture and sell.

AusStig likes this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The Clone Army does gain stuff. Food, shelter. Basic yes, but they are still gaining from being a tool of the Empire.

11. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Food, shelter and no ability to legally leave (until Palpatine decided to get rid of them) - basically slavery, no different from prisoners in Andor that also were in a way tools of the Empire.

Slater likes this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Well the prisoners in Andor didn't shoot and kill people fighting the Empire, a slave soldier is still a soldier. But slave soldiers historically aren't victims the Ottomans. Janissary are a good example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary

But we can leave this, if you want.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So. I was going to say. Before this thread got all serious after last week's episode.

Everyone's all about Mando riding the Mythosaur, but what about Crosshair and Zillo Beast? They're both stuck in Mount Tantiss, they're both clones gone awry, they both want out... I can totally see an episode where Crosshair rides that baby outta the mountain and into the arms of redemption, fist pumping like the Neverending Story kid riding Falkor.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    So, for this week's episode

So, nice place they found there.

....it is definitely getting burned down by the empire soon, isn't it?

Well, I am not sure if these ones are slavers, though admittedly trando mercs and slavers do often go hand in hand.

XD

Good point.

Also, we need a Zillo Beast-Mythosaur fight at some point. If you are going to have kaiju in a franchise, you need kaiju fights.

Jedi Ben and JediFett10 like this.
  15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I want ziol v the Sith beasts.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think Pabu is being shown now because it might be setting up the end of the series. A sanctuary for the Bad Batch (Crosshair and Nala Se included) to retire and led Omega grow up.

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Was fine.

So I am getting doomed hometown vibes from the new place, but maybe they will stay for a while.

Ghost likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Random thought, buuut....
    where is Phee's ship? Is it not like she is constantly traveling with the batch, and it was said in this episode that she usually works alone, so she has to have her own ship, right?

From the unfinished sith temple arc? Excellent choice, it would be great to see those again.

I suppose. That could be fun...

Though, something has to spur them into action in the finale.

And we set up plot points of the empire hunting down Omega and their shuttle (ironically not knowing she is on the shuttle) and Cid threatening to sell them out...

AusStig likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I feel it will be a doomed hometown. Being idyllic, saying it’s safe from the Empire… especially when the Empire just decided to hunt down Omega to persuade Nala Se, like last episode. If not this season then next. I just hope they do a small time jump and let Omega and crew just rest there for at least several months before its destruction. Give them some peace.

20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yep, yep, yep

I think they moved the Sith beasts into Mt Tantis, that or they will show up in mando to fight the mythasaur.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed.

Honestly I could see it showing up in Ahoska as well. The rumors we are getting about the series suggests it will go deep into the mystical side of star wars.

AusStig likes this.
  22. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    We already got one. Rancor vs. Mecha-Scorpenek.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is Crosshair Force-sensitive? I'm half-kidding...but man, his ridiculously over-the-top feats of precision seem like they should only be possible by a Jedi in Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 Clone Wars series.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    AusStig and Sarge like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I think his trick shots would be ridiculously over-the-top for a Jedi, much less a human. Most of those take me right out of my suspension of disbelief.

AusStig, Riv_Shiel and Alpha-Red like this.
  25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmmm...are those big enough to count as kaiju?

Still cool though, good point.

I mean, he is genetically engineered specifically for accuracy.

Even in star wars, force sensitivity is far from the only way to be impressive. Grievous killed several jedi in melee thanks to his cybernetic enhancements. That one girl in the Young Jedi Knights books matched jedi reflexes with drugs. All of the species at the podrace naturally had reflexes that rivaled that of jedi.

Heck, star wars is puply enough that all one really needs is to be That Good. Han can roll with the best of them by being That Good. Cad Bane can force a draw with both Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos, who are not even just jedi but especially impressive jedi, by being That Good and having lots of gadgets. Anakin is the strongest force user to exist, and he still struggled with all kinds of opponents in TCW.

So no, being impressive at something isn't necessarily a sign of force sensitivity. Particularly since untrained force sensitivity doesn't count for that much beyond faster reflexes than normal.