main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Rebels already broke such a streak, if there even was one. Ezra and Kanan ran circles around Vader. Ezra even time traveled to save Ahsoka from being killed by Vader. If that isn't running circles around him, what is?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    fett 4 and AusStig like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'll buy that for six dollars.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's really pushing it. Vader kicked the bejeus out of them both times. Grabbing Ahsoka from the timestream was literally a impossible fluke.

Qel, Slater and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I hope this doesn't mean more contradictions with the Johnston book.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I thought the Bad Batch folks were pretty underwhelming character and personality wise.

That said I really enjoyed Resistance, it was especially strong with all of the secondary and background characters, and I loved the art style. I kind of wonder if this will be the cell shading style since it’s being helmed by the same people as Resistance.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It's set immediately after Order 66, the book is a year after. [face_dunno]

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not pushing it. With Ezra and Ahsoka left alive, they help form the Rebellion. The fact of the matter is that Vader immediately punishes rebel clones per Labyrinth of Evil in the EU, if it's likewise in Canon. If the Bad Batch escape long enough to have their own tv show of all things, that means they ran circles around him.

Just because Vader beats people up before his losses doesn't change the fact he loses against people who should just be dead period. It's the Worf effect ( https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect ), where Worf does indeed beat people up (Duras, Gowron) but still has enough people run circles around him that a whole trope is named after him.

fett 4 likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also figures- I've been grinding the gears in my brain over narrowing down TCW into the essential episodes- but grouped in a way that they can act as a series of movies. Suffice it to say, Bad Batch was not on the list. And, now, if I include Bad Batch, I'll have to include the Citadel arc because of Echo. Sigh...

Ventrix likes this.
  11. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Worf didn't just get run around, he got actively beat up all the time. From random mooks to having his back broken by a barrel.

Vader didn't "lose" any fights he participated in against the Rebels cast. It's not comparable at all and total trope misuse.

Also the BB surviving long enough to have a show has nothing to do with Vader because they were nowhere near him. Vader punishes rebel clones when there in his vicinity or he is ordered to by Palpatine. He doesnt make chasing them his day job because he has more important things to do.

Why the hell would Vader go hunting some clones when he is actively dealing with surviving Jedi? He has far bigger fish to fry

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want to see other former Republic Commandos show up.

Maybe see some Imperial Commandos.

If this show lasts more then 1 season, I would love to see so,e flashbacks to the clone wars, such as the unreleased Kashyyyk arc.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    As someone who watched all of Rebels, our viewpoints are clearly so different we may for practical purposes have been watching different shows. If we can't even agree that Vader lost fights in Rebels I'm not sure how we're going to have any clear points of debate on anything else in SW, including this new show.

I heard the same thing when Rebels premiered. "They won't run circles around Vader" etc. I watched every episode and was horrified. I won't get the time I wasted on Rebels back. So yeah, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... This is why after 3 episodes of Resistance I just gave the whole show a miss.

fett 4 likes this.
  14. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Oh dear I don't think i want to watch these people who bench press GONK droids and eat chicken legs at the same time.

AusStig, Contessa and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Solister

Solister Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2019
    Please don't tell me I'm the only one who read the first time (and keep reading) The Bad B*tch.
    Now I'm mostly wondering if I will have access to it (we still don't have D+ here) and if I could enjoy it knowing almost nothing about the "new" Clone Wars (Look at my avatar) *CW 2003 Gang Rise Up*.
    But yeah, sounds interesting. Filoni working on it is certainly a good sign, though I feel I likely will just wait it a few months after the release and read the Wookieepedia summary.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...what show did you watch? He only fought them in three episodes. He wiped the floor with Ezra and Kanan (and headshot'ed Sabine as they fled), he wrecked Phoenix Squadron (and destroyed their command ship) in space (and only pulled away from his attack after sensing Ahsoka) with the Ghost barely escaping, he fought Ahsoka to at least a draw (if not dominating the fight minus Ahsoka getting the one hit in) and, despite the floor crumbling beneath him and the temple exploding around and above him, he still managed to get in what would have been a killing blow against her if Ezra had not saved her via the WBW. And, despite that extraordinary intervention, he still walked away while, effectively, taking Ahsoka off the playing field for years, if not the majority of the Galactic Civil War.

Like, by any measure, Vader lost none of those encounters. He forced the heroes to retreat in every battle, as they completely failed to match him in combat on ground or in space. Only Ahsoka came close to holding her ground/managed to go on the offensive briefly.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean isn't it all perspective at the end of the day ???

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, if that's the standard for Vader not losing, then why is everyone saying that Kylo lost at Crait? (to the point posters on here were saying he was humiliated so badly etc. he wouldn't be taken seriously as a ruler, which was just absurd--real life rulers have made more humiliating mistakes and stayed in power) If anything, Kylo won at Crait because he actually killed his main opponent (even indirectly), Luke Skywalker, while Vader failed to kill any of the heavy hitters in his Rebels fights. When Kanan died, Vader wasn't even there.

19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope Delta Squad make some form of cameo in this series- they are the ones responsible for starting the trend of Clone Commandos.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because Luke Skywalker wasn't his main opponent- and Luke used that belief against Kylo to fool and prevent him from achieving his actual goal of destroying the Resistance. At no point did the Ghost crew trick Vader or divert him from achieving his main objectives (acquiring the holocron being maybe the only exception- except that dealing with Ahsoka/finding remaining Jedi actually was Vader's priority). He still broke up the momentum of the Lothal Rebels (at the time) and annihilated Phoenix Cell's forces, while "eliminating" Ahsoka and preventing her from helping the rebels anymore.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As stated, Vader kicked the bejeus out of them repeatedly. They escaped by literally bending the timestream and various Imperial incompetence getting in Vader's way of administering a righteous Sith smackdown. Dumb luck and chance, not by making Vader lesser.

Fin McCool, Serfer and Slater like this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Um yeah Luke was the main opponent. Luke Skywalker was said to be the threat in TFA that everyone was looking for right in the opening crawl. And in the very opening scene. Like that's why Kylo killed a village in the very first TFA scene, because they hindered his hunt for Luke. Did everyone forget that in TLJ? And in ROS the FO's downfall was "just people", who weren't even at Crait. Let's say Kylo did wipe everyone out on Crait. Luke would have died anyway as his lightshow would have killed him, but Kylo ignored him and killed Leia, Poe, Finn, etc.

Rey still would have escaped as she was on the Falcon. The plot of ROS would more or less have happened. The thousands of "just people" still would have risen up against Palpatine because he had planet killers. The existence or non-existence of the Crait Resistance makes no difference--those thousands of people didn't even bother to help at Crait, only when Palpatine became a threat to them directly.

Vader's objective was to kill Ahsoka. He failed. Despite Vader being absent in Season 1, Tarkin's objective was to get Kanan to be broken at Vader's castle on Mustafar. That failed. Palpatine was going to break Ezra into giving him the Jedi time machine. That failed too.

In the end, wins/losses amount to "did you kill the heavy hitters?" To claim that Luke wasn't the main opponent is just trying to justify making Kylo's kill look like a loss. It's even worse when one tries to say Luke wasn't the main opponent when literally the opening crawl of the preceding movie said that he was...
    Kenobi said he didn't believe in luck. Then ANH ran afterwards with that to show Luke's win at the exhaust port was skill, not luck.

So now luck applies again just to make Ezra's win look lesser?

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Luck and the will of the Force are the same thing. In case you haven't been paying attention to Star Wars, most of the time luck / the Force ultimately sides with the good guys.

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sure that makes the people on Alderaan and Kijimi feel better. Maybe Poe tried that line on Zorii "Hey if you haven't been paying attention, luck/the Force sides with the good guys" while she was grieving her home planet. That kind of thinking is why his head nod to her at the end of ROS was so awkward.

Like in the real world, people too wrapped up in "God/the Force is on our side" kind of thinking end up looking very callous and inconsiderate to the many people who end up on the losing end of all that (the type who tell an injured/sick veteran with chronic health issues "God helps those who help themselves" etc.)

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well I'm excited for this.

Helluva excited.

Dark Disciple adaption rumours make my heart warm... and @QueenSabe7's, I hope!