main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well I don't recall seeing them in combat in the Clone Wars or even working together before that first mission.

Yes Bane is an interesting fighter.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    “Special Guest Appearance By...” ;)

Been thinking more about this and I have a theory:

Omega seems to intuitively know about the chips and their symptoms. What if she is a fail safe the Kaminoans created to prevent their products from being used against them?

in other words- what if she can either disable or rewrite/override the chip commands? Turn the clones to Kaminoan command?

This then sets the stage for a clones vs stormtrooper revolt battle (likely on Kamino)- one that will likely end up with the clones being decimated (either entirely or until Omega’s commands can be countermanded somehow) and their ranks then having to be filled with recruits.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt like I was the one who thought this on here

Sarge likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmm now this is an interesting idea. I like it. It matches what we have seen so far.
    The ultimate question is: what would the Kaminoans want in a contingency plan, back when they first got the order? A secret means to control the clones makes sense. One they expected would stay on Kamino forever, and that the Republic would overlook.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Kamino was in a unique position to see the Empire coming, given they encoded Order 66 and built the chips.

Cynda and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus, as a general rule of thumb, it's probably a good idea to be able to prevent buyers from using the weapons/soldiers you supply them with against you, if you can.

Slater, AusStig, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This!!!

I can’t tell you how many times I see this in fantasy/sci-fi and think how weapons designers are such idiots. If you design a powerful weapon, you should always have a safeguard in place to ensure that weapon can never be used against you. An auto-lock feature so it can’t aim at you. A secret shutdown code that only you know. A hardwired back door that only you can access.

So many examples of weapons designers failing to do this spring to mind, but one that I recall well is the Panther Habits from Black Panther. Specifically the silver and gold necklaces Shuri creates for T’Challa. Killmonger ends up using the gold one against Shuri and I’m astounded she has no way of just remotely deactivating it. She created the kriffing thing. There must be a master code she can use to shut the whole thing off. If nothing else, at least a backdoor that permits shutdown for software updates.

Lando’s YVH droids responded to certain override phrases that could deactivate or modify their behaviour parameters. I recall Mara being able to shut down Ben’s Defender "Nanna" with a mere phrase.

"Stand down, Beautiful Blaster!"

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I have no idea where the show is going. I'm just enjoying the journey.
    It seems like every episode with Crosshair in it ends up being a great, serious, dramatic, cinematic one, and the ones without him are more TCW-esque.

9. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    After last episode's final it seems to me that
    “Devil’s Deal” will be about saving Omega with help from some unscrupulous person.

TiniTinyTony and AusStig like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ]-}

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean if there was anyone to put a override switch or some sorta explosive in the chip it would be the Kaminoans

Vialco and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    And they blow you up! BOOM!

boomx2sjk, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And waste all that company material? Turns out the Republic was only leased a grand army, it did not buy one.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge and Golbolco like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know the episode was a few weeks ago, but this came up in my memories today and seemed fitting to comment:

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  16. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Justifier's happening.

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What's even more interesting is that Cad Bane has a metal plate on his skull at the spot he got shot at by Boba in those unfinished episodes [face_thinking]
    [​IMG]

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    *shrug* I mean, I wouldn't expect the show to cover every single event that happened in a galactic scale war. And we did see local forces sight for both the Republic and the Confederacy - heck, as far back as episode 1 we see planets have their own security force, so it would be logical to assume many got involved in the fighting, and at least some soldier distinguished themselves in the fighting.

Someone on reddit noticed that Bane has some cybernetics in his head, suggesting its possible that the Boba Fett arc and duel did happen offscreen.

Which the other people on reddit are kind of excited about but I would be disappointed with for multiple reasons (mainly, the people on reddit are hopeful that we will get those episodes, but I dunno - really hard seeing Clone Wars get revived a third time. Plus - I dunno, I like the idea of Boba taking Bane's top spot by killing him in a duel. Just having them both walk away from the fight takes away a lot from it. And...I dunno, Maul coming back worked better than expected. It is ok for characters to die and stories to end, and what better end for Bane is there than being killed by the original iconic bounty hunter?)

Interesting. Seems to be missing the bits above and below the main hull...could be a redesign, could be those bits are retractable for landing, or maybe this concept art is just focusing on the main hull.

In any case, when just looking at the main hull like this, it occurs to me that it resembles one of the ships from that 1313 demo. Specifically the one that attacks the player's ship.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zA6qP6

I mean, also some obvious differences, but similar overall shape.

19. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Oh, wow it does...

20. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Does anything work like that in real life? I mean, I doubt Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson could stop someone from shooting them with one of their guns. Not to say that failsafes can't be used in stories, I'm just not sure its unreasonable that a failsafe wouldn't be there if the story doesn't work with it.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So I guess Bane didn't die in a Boba Shootout, if the deleted scene bit even happened. Or it was just repurposed in here. Anyway any chance Bad Batch episodes are moving to Wednesdays like Disney's new lineup or is the rest of the season still airing on Fridays?

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    With a regular blaster? No. They’re too basic to warrant such caution.

With a sophisticated, advanced weapon like the Panther habits or a fully aware machine like a YVH combat droid? Yes, it should. Any designer with a ounce of foresight should be able to consider the pods that the deadly weapon they’re creating could be turned against them. To avoid that possibility, logic dictates creating a hidden shutoff command. One that requires a very specific and unique command to execute.

All Imperial Star Destroyers had special back door hardcoded into their main computers. Every single one could be accessed by a single code that only the Emperor and his most trusted agent knew.

The World Devastators could be remotely deactivated via an encrypted command code.

The Sith Troopers served Darth Krayt alone and had a failsafe that killed them all in the event of his death.

Doctor Cylo had a secret shutoff switch for Vader’s limbs and life-support system.

Jagged Fel’s specialized blasters had a recognition feature that made them useless in anyone else’s hands and ensured they would self-destruct when apart from him for more than a few seconds.

Even Galen Eros built a fatal flaw into the Death Star that only he knew about. A way to destroy his lethal invention.

It’s a lack of foresight that keeps many weapons designers from creating such backdoors and failsafes in their designs. But those who have sufficient vision can foresee such events and prepare for it.

Always have a backdoor. Have a backup plan, a secret code phrase. Something to ensure your deadly creation can’t turn on you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and AusStig like this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

"War Mantle" ... isn't that one of the other superweapon codenames in Rogue One? Along with Stardust/DeathStar, the thing that referred to hyperspace tracking used in Episode 8, and the thing that referred to the ground-based superlaser also used in Episode 8?

24. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    There is no way to put in a failsafe/backdoor that doesn't create a security vulnerability and devalue your project. If you want to be the top of the line, you protect yourself from having your weapons turned against you by remaining valuable.

25. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Okay, sure, guns are too common, but did the scientists in the Manhattan Project put some failsafe in their nukes so they could never be nuked? Do drone manufacturers have something in the code preventing their house from being bombed?

These failsafes and backdoors don't exist in real life, at least not as commonly as you seem to expect in fiction. That doesn't mean failsafes can't exist in fiction, but I think its a little bit of a false standard to consider them so obvious that we judge the characters and writing for not including them. Its just going to come down to the author and what they want from the story. That may not be the story you want, but that doesn't mean its a bad story.