main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Comics Star Wars: The Hidden Empire (WofBH / Crimson Reign sequel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediFett10, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of those point of view things.

If you're only reading the SW books, then events are rare - this has been the first big one for them. Therefore, if you enjoyed it, why not have another next year?

If you read Marvel more widely, it's event overkill. With a great many creative runs ending with a big, flashy expensive to buy event, as is the case with Zdarsky's Daredevil run. Previous recent cases are Aaron's Thor and Cates' Venom.

From a wider Marvel reading perspective a title that tells its story on its own has become rare. With the frequency of events giving rise to a sense of fatigue, as people know the dance steps very, very well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    SyndicThrass likes this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Gotcha. Yeah, I don't follow the rest of Marvel's comics output so I can see where it might become an issue with multiple of these things going on at the same time. If not for Star Wars, the likelihood of me ever seeing the inside of my FLCS would honestly be pretty slim.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2016
    I'm in the same boat since I don't care about Marvel comics, if I want Marvel characters I'll watch the MCU.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And your bank balance loves you for it.

One of the new tricks is this: Put series out in OHCs, RRP $35-40, containing 10-15 issues. They do a few of these then it all concludes in a big event. Instead of an event OHC for say $25-30, they do a monster Omnibus that is RRP $100-125! And you've got the rest of the run so you have to conclude it, don't you?

I am slowly kicking the habit due to this sheer chicanery.

5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ll also add that, personally, I think War of the Bounty Hunters did have a detrimental effect on some of the titles that got caught up in it. I love Greg Pak. Planet Hulk, Magneto Testament, the Incredible Hercules are all time greats.

But man, his Vader run really lost momentum when he had to shift focus and play to Soule’s tune.

theorenwulf and Ventrix like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pak is pretty used to the Marvel event swirl.

7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Hell, he’s written a few himself, so there’s probably no hard feelings.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Knight

Jul 12, 2015
    I actually agree with this. I liked the event mini and I loved the associated one-shots, but I think apart from Bounty Hunters all the ongoings lost steam due to the event. Though I did like the focus on side characters for the Vader arc and Aphra was also decent, but I feel that if the authors of the ongoings had been allowed to write an arc on their own terms, the resulsts would have been better than what we got for the event.

Senpezeco and SyndicThrass like this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I like the crossover in that when I'm reading the comics monthly it's a lot easier to follow the story if they're all the same story, as opposed to three to five little slivers of three to five separate stories. Generally, I can never remember what is going on in Bounty Hunters month to month, for example. However, I hope they don't do this too often as it contributes to "small galaxy syndrome."

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.