main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Captain RX, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, what are you thinking of with regard to DS9?

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You know everything after Hoth in ESB isn't precisely chronological, right?

Han and Leia aren't in transit the entire duration of Luke's training on Dagobah.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    In the last few episodes Dukat and Winn spend apparent weeks in the fire caves.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh? Hadn't come across that one.

5. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Finally got around to reading this, and didn't really enjoy it. Everything felt so slow.

The Nihil were the best part of this but didn't get nearly enough focus, so I hope they get a few books of their own to stand out more

6. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    So the Drengir are like the Killik species, albeit more predatory? Huh.
    Don't know how to feel about the high republic so far. Kinda seems like a disneyfied version of the Old Republic, unfortunately

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like the plot involving the accident on the hyperspace lanes, how it affected the galactic economic system up until that point, and the fact that the villains have a secret means of travel that they're struggling to keep secret. Basically everything involving the hyperspace tech is very original.

Daneira and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Not really. They are more like Plant Rakata. They also seem to actually share a mind by being the same being, just buds.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, I love that musical number with Revan and his adorable squirrel companion.

10. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Personally, I preferred Darth Malak's villain song; easily one of the best Disney villain songs we've gotten.

Darth Nihilus' song was strange, though. Couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Daneira likes this.
  11. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Probably for the best, although I now have a very long list of expletives with which to insult everything Star Wars, so that's a nice bonus

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like i'm the only one who didn't LOVE Light of the Jedi like everyone else.

I didn't hate, and I do admire the universe it's creating for the High Republic but in terms of the book itself it didn't really grab me the way I see it grabbing others.

Sadly I haven't been really keeping up with the comics or anything else, so maybe if I tried one of those later down the line it'll be more to my cup of tea.

The world building is great but in terms of a Story I found myself lacking.

Vinylshadow and Kaje like this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd say that has more to do with the majority of people not bothering to talk about such a book on the internet. This isn't exactly Harry Potter, so the percentage of readers who discuss it on the internet is likely to be very small. That means a small number of people in one place can give you an impression that isn't necessarily representative of the general reception. "It's decent/ solid / okay" is probably one of the safest and most common reaction to a ton of different books, so I don't think you need to feel alone with that opinion ;)

I for one thought it was pretty good. Not great, but entertaining enough of a read to keep going. Into the Dark was more gripping, though I think it also tailed off a bit towards the end, putting both on roughly the same level for me. Haven't read the comics yet, because we tend to get them in larger bundles instead of individual issues, and the first one will only arrive in a few months.

Golbolco and AusStig like this.
  14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    If you liked into the dark I think you will enjoy the comics as well. After the first issue they are very good. Maybe the best story so far.

15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I agree, it felt to me more like a neat worldbuilding exercise than a complete story in its own right, but Into the Dark and the comics have definitely helped expand this new era and increased my enjoyment of it all. Definitely give Into the Dark a try, since it's Claudia Gray doing her excellent character work as usual. The High Republic Adventures comics have been surprisingly charming, too.

16. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Just finished this novel. I enjoyed it, though not quite as much as Into the Dark. I get that this novel is trying to set up a lot of different characters, but I felt like it needed a main protagonist to give it more focus.

It's kind of interesting that the Nihil, despite being a band of pirates, are able to inflict some pretty serious damage on the galaxy through the hyperspace disaster. While reading about the debris exiting hyperspace at near lightspeed, it made me wonder if perhaps that's how Holdo was able to destroy the Supremacy in TLJ. Maybe she exited hyperspace right in front of the ship, and disabled some kind of safety feature which normally slows a ship down after exiting hyperspace, and continued moving through space at near light speed. Maybe this is why it's a "one in a million" shot and isn't used often.

I kinda expected to be bored by the Nihil because they didn't sound super interesting at first, but I'm pretty curious what Marchion Ro is up to, and where he comes from. I did cringe a bit when they mentioned that the Nihil listen to "wreck punk" music while on raids. If you listen to the audiobook, they actually play some generic heavy metal sounding music during those scenes. I don't know, just felt a bit silly to me.

But overall, this is one of the better Star Wars novels I've read (admittedly, I haven't read that many) and I'm interested in where the story will go.

Fredrik Vallestrand and AusStig like this.
  17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm glad you mentioned that, because while it's a little thing in a book that I overwhelmingly liked, that bugged me too. The "musical genre as signifier of moral alignment" thing never sits well with me -- many nice people enjoy abrasive or "edgy" music, and a lot of total bastards are into the most innocuous music around. No biggie, but thanks, I feel "seen".

18. Kaje

May 29, 2005
    This was painful to read. Easily the worst part of the whole book. I absolutely detest the Nihil and will never be able to take them seriously because of this garbage.

AusStig and Darth Megatronus like this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You can't the Nihil seriously because they listen to music?

20. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    It just makes them feel even more like a stereotypical biker gang.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I kinda liked it.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  23. Kaje

May 29, 2005
    The intent was to show that they’re bad.

I also couldn’t take them seriously because of literally everything about them. They were the least scary villains ever

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I really like them. The wreck-punk thing was a minor quibble because I'm a musician and a guy who works with a lot of bands in real life, so it's kinda like when SW fans with military or science backgrounds have to roll their eyes at the unrealistic stuff that pertains to their fields of expertise, and just move on. On the flipside, I adore Avar Kriss's conception of the force and how she coordinates the Jedi like a conductor, or the frontperson of a really tight band... that gets me, in a good way.

AusStig and Dream-Thinker like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    B&N broke the street date on the paperback, as they are wont to do, so gonna dive into that tonight. :D