main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Battlestar Galactica, and changing your IP.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LastJediKnight, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    While watching TLJ... at least the parts dealing with space after they get to the Crait system, I got a real Battlestar Galactica vibe(new version).

Oh.. and the whole.. we can track you through lightspeed.. is pretty much a plot pulled from that shows first episode... "33".. where after a jump, exactly 33 minutes later the Cylons would appear, necessitating another jump. Going on:

* Poe Dameron here is basically a clone of Starbuck, a pilot with authority issues.
    * Workers play parts in the storyline.
    * Projection of people who aren't there play a major part in the story.
    * Leaders make pithy speeches about hope(or sparks in this case) to buck up the troops that all is not lost..
    * Named Characters die like they are paid based on screen-time.
    * Unnamed unseen Characters rack up a body count that would make Hitler jealous.
    * The ships are fleeing and fighting an organization that obliterated their core planets.

This is the problem when you look to 'break the mold'... you'll typically end up in the mold of something that has been done by other Space-based pew pew IP, and in-turn lose what makes a Star Wars Saga Trilogy movie unique.

Hypatia likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I also mentioned the Battlestar elements of the Poe storyline but I loved them nevertheless. Everything has basically been done before if you zoom out far enough and Star Wars is a blender of concepts. I was just glad we finally got to see some space strategy stuff and some chain of command conflict and bridge conflict beyond the Empire/First Order along with an emphasis on the crew. I always wanted more of that explored in Star Wars.

Anyway... more people will see this than people did the Space series. Poe has more leadership qualities than Starbuck anyway. And Battlestar’s stand-alone episode that dealt with that one ship that kept killing crew members borrowed a lot from X-Wing fights in the OT. It’s just that it was a TV show so they could show more behind the scenes stuff after the fighters got out.

Also, I hate this notion that Star Wars needs to stay in the same cinematic box that was established in the OT for eternity. One of the things that excited me most was the idea of new filmmakers bringing new genres to Star Wars and mixing things up. Like how Rogue One was a mixture of the crew of Aliens or the crew of the Wild Bunch or some team-up movie like that also being in a storm the beach war movie among some other influences. The more human stuff that’s less magical can and probably should explore other genres now and then.

bluealien1 likes this.
  3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Yep, I was definitely feeling the Battlestar vibe which I liked because I love Battlestar reimagined.

4. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Battlestar also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.