main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Fan Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    With Star Wars: The Last Jedi mere hours from going on general release - And actually released 30 minutes ago in New Zealand - We should probably have a single thread where fans/forum members can post and compile their reviews and thoughts about the movie.

I'm going to see it on Friday I think... And I'm fairly excited and very intrigued to see how it's come out - So my review won't be appearing for a while - I'll probably be one of the last to post a review on here haha!

Away you go:

#enjoy

2. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Just seen TLJ at my local Cinema. good Star Wars movie :) Perfect? Of course not. I was happy to see that it wasn't the safe movie that we got with TFA which also means that not everyone will be happy.
    Yesterday I read a lot of negative reaction to various spoilers on this forum and I was a bit down when going to the cinema today. Fortunately context is quite important and the way the scenes are executed so I find myself pleasantly surprised.
    I do have a strange feeling now, like I don't really have questions that I desperately want answered in Episode 9. Seems like anything can happen. The resistance is reduced to nothing (How many can you fit in a Falcon?:) and the First Order lost their Mobile base which leaves them with 4 Star Destroyers (I guess?) though it's hinted that more good guys are starting to wake up.

One thing I would like to know, is How Snoke got to Ben at an early age. I think that is something that should be answered and perhaps also how Snoke became leader of the First Order and not just a random darksider who appeared out of nowhere and created a bond between Kylo and Rey.

Not much of a review I guess. oh well, it's good film :)

Ps. Oh! I forgot. I really enjoyed the Rey/Kylo bond scenes and no I am not a sappy Reylo. It's certainly not love scenes.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What is that final scene like? When I saw it written down I thought it sounded terrible... Does it work?

Also what did you make of John Williams Score? Seems to have gotten very little recognition in formal reviews.

4. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005

I actually did not notice the score much, there were certain classic themes playing like Luke & Lea's theme when they meet and a piece from Rotj when Chewie is flying the falcon through the Crait tunnels. But I need to watch this again. Long film and lot to process.

The last scene with the children in the stables was alright, it's a short scene with only one word said, "Luke skywalker!" is said by one of the kids while showing his friends this home made jedi doll. Then their slave master comes in and yells at them and they go back to work. One kid goes outside grabs a broom and looks to the night sky and sees a shooting star while holding the broom in one hand a bit like a jedi with his saber ready for a fight. THE END :)

Btw. I read the spoiler about broom boy yesterday and they said he used the force to pick it up. It did not look like that to me. Looked like he just picked up a broom.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I see. I'm still struggling to visualize this ending because it sounds so bizarre in comparison to any other Star Wars ending... [face_thinking]

6. Darth Krayt

Darth Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    Nah we noticed it too. Im pretty sure he uses the force.

7. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005

Strange. I was expecting him to use the force since I had read that spoiler. I did not notice the broom floating towards him. Maybe I need glasses :)

8. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    Well It is different from other SW movies as we always see some of the maincast in the final shot. It looks like a tribute to Luke Skywalker to me.

9. Darth Krayt

Darth Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I was with several people who also noticed it. It could be it only looked like that, but I dunno.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Just got back from a New Zealand midnight viewing :

OMG the best Stars movie since Empire is an understatement !

Get ready to be blown away !

93% on Rottentomatoes is absolutely correct !

This is Luke Skywalker's movie for sure - I won't spoil anything but rest assured your in for a treat !

10/10 ........

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    So saw it last night. I LOVED it. Seriously, I loved almost every bit.

The opening battle was intense and extremely well executed, IMO. Poe's interaction with Hux.... LOL.

Grumpy Luke was surprisingly charismatic.

I only have a couple criticisms:

1) I wish the Kylo-Rey Force connection had some kind of visual marker.
    2) I wanted to see more of Phasma before the big fight.... kinda went out without really seeing her in action.
    3) Would like to have known more about Snoke before he parted ways (ahem).

Rey Random is implied, though even as a Rey Random advocate, I think there is some wiggle room in there.

Kylo is digging on Rey. And despite a brief flirtation, Kylo is a **** and Rey ultimately shuts that crap down.

I liked Grumpy Luke way more than I expected. And once Yoda reminds him of things he already knows, he's just awesome. I sure hope we see more of him. Mark was fantastic.

9/10 for me.

Yes, broom boy uses the Force.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    But I thought Snoke had unlimited resources.

13. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005

Well, I might see the film again tomorrow. Can't believe I missed Broom boy using the force. To me it just looked like he picked it up with his hand. Getting old I am :D

Mostly Handless and Strongbow like this.
  14. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    If he has unlimted ressources then it's not mentioned in this film. We see his fleet which is made up of the Supremacy and some Star destroyers, like 4 or 6 of them excluding what might have been docked on the Supremacy. Did not count them but if the Supremacy survives then it's crippled. It basically gets cut in half like Snoke.

Ps. Speaking about First Order resources. There is a scene with DJ talking about how the rich A-Holes of Canto bight is selling weapons to the First order and the Resistance.

15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Yes! Saw some bombers and interceptors in there!

Dak Oolron and darth_of_denmark like this.
  16. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    Don't forget the X-Wing ;)

17. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Of course, but we knew those were in the film, but it did highlight that the war profiteers were selling to both sides.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  18. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    yeah, I liked that they showed that x-wing as well as the imp style ships just to make it clear that weapon's dealers usually don't take sides.

Strongbow likes this.
  19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Holy. Smokes .. I just saw the film and ..

That whole film was a massive slap in the face to everything JJ set up in TFA, from the ending scene of TFA turning into a comedy opening, to Snoke (last name "useless plot device) saying what everyone may have thought "that helmet looks ridiculous" (as though that was the first time he'd had that thought, to I dunno .. the whole Rey Random business.

Well what else: Leia survives a bridge blow out and implosion in space cos of..? The Force? Hux is a fantastic comedy relief (as all wannabe fascists should be) .. his whole schtick in TFA is mocked mercilessly in the opening scene for laffs and well .. BBEvid 9 or whatever he is is clearly a ridiculous Disney toy cash grab serving no conceivable purpose not served by a droid with it's already established toyline.

As for Luke .. Jesus... I don't care how it's presented - the Luke Skywalker who tried to find the good in Darth Friggin' Vader would NEVER in my books want to kill Leia's kid. He couldn't kill a homicidal child murdering tyrant but would raise a lightsabre because he saw the mysterious (and evidently never to be ever again explained) Snoke's more influence on the kid?! Wtf was Luke thinking or smoking?? The whole space chasing the fleet business seemed to be cribbed off the first episode of Battlestar Galactica (but with less tension) and ... ah....

What oh why was the entire asteroid sequence soundtrack cribbed from the ESB ?!?! Can John Williams (bless him forever) train a new composer to take over from him like Luke did with Rey? And how exactly did Rey become a Jedi in three easy steps? Why was the scene on Snoke's bridge so reminiscent of the Emperor and Luke's confrontation at the end of ROTJ. In the mirror scene, I honestly thought that the implication was that Rey was a clone since she sees herself as her own parents.

The good bits? Chewie eats Porgs! (As any sensible person would). We have Supreme Leader Kylo (surely he will be the Big Bad in IX now). Leia's hologram (I cried to see a young Carrie) and Mark Hamill's peformance. I loved his character so honeslty, I am not so sure how invested I can be in a IX without Han, Luke (and now presumably) Leia, but that's me as an old, old fan.

And oh yead .. boy did they kill the wrong Skywalker in this film. Poor Luke. What a miserable ending they made for him. Urgh. Also: the rebellion has what.. 10 people (and a kid with a broom and a rebel insignia ring) in it by the end? On a positive note, we now have Supreme Leader Kylo (what happened to the Knights of Ren??? Luke's former pupils who also ran off with Ben/Kylo?? arggghghhhshshsh). Also: poor , poor Colin Treverrow - what a thankless task he was given with the sequel to this. I have no idea how they will magic away poor Carries' existence.

Oh. And Snoke has eyebrows. That's pretty much the only thing I think I managed to see in TFA that turned out to be well .. what I thought it would be.

'm seeing this film again in daylight hours with a clearer head, so it may grow on me, but where I came out of the theatre on a high after watching Rogue One a year ago, this film left me feeling .. nothing.

EDIT: yep . Broom boy used the force though you'd blink and miss it. Also - they play with Luke Skywalker action figures! Sweet.

I think I've outgrown this story (once more).

20. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    I would go for a 9.5/10 but to make a full critic i wil have to see it again

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if, timeline-wise, the ST ends up almost reverse of the PT, where the final chapter takes place 10 or so years later (reverse of the first chapter taking place 10 or so years earlier), and the children from the final scene end up being the new order of Force users into perpetuity or something.

Some spoiler questions for those who have seen it:

1. Does anyone say "I have a bad feeling about this"? If so, who and in what context?

2. To the best of your recollection, describe the opening crawl

3. To the best of your recollection, which characters/situations got their own theme music original to this episode?

J_K_DART likes this.
  22. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002

23. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Were the Finn/Phasma fight as cool looking as the trailer/tv spots made it look?

24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Depends on who you ask, of course, but to me it was just as ridiculous as the way she went down in TFA. They really don't seem to have much respect for her character. And she was touted as a "strong female character" in the lead up to TFA. lol

25. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    I’m torn. Some of the big moments had me shocked. And while I loved that, there were also problems with some of the shocks and what they mean for the characters and the story. No lightsaber battle in the end really, and i mean severely bummed me out. When I realised Luke wasnt actually on Crait that was very unexpected but it took away seeing Luke in action one more time and using his green saber.

Apart from that I thought the humor was great, the action was intense and the acting was pretty good.

Highlight: Ben and Rey vs Guards

Lowlight: No lightsaber duel