main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Fan Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The gulf between those who think this film is a travesty and those who think it's brilliant will forever baffle me.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Watched it again recently — loved it. Easily one of my favorites. And quotable too.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes.
    [​IMG]

4. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    The issue has a couple of aspects to it. First, you have the constant struggle between objectivity and subjectivity. People have a hard time grasping subjectivity and will generally try to present and justify their opinions as objective fact. When you think your opinion is objectively true, that leaves little room for considering an opposing opinion.

Feeding into that, lots of people who dislike the movie seem to have the position that because you can criticize the movie the whole film is 100% trash while those who like it seem to think because you like it you can't admit there are things to criticize.

cane_danko and godisawesome like this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm more amused by the discourse than anything else. It's as if both camps have seen completely different films.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. I guess “half the fans” hating The Last Jedi has led to it being the top selling Blu-ray of 2018, besting Black Panther and Ragnarok. Quick, Iger, fire Kathleen Kennedy before too many people read this news!

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2018

I thought it was just OK, which puts me in the middle of that gulf. A lonely place these days.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Watched it again on 4k :

And for the record, I loved The Last Jedi. Bloody loved it.

Luke used the biggest Force power we’ve ever seen in these films, and people complained. Leia used her power and people complained. The film dared to criticize the rich and elevate the powerless and people complained. And so on. I was thrilled by it all, and never once felt that Rian Johnson was subverting expectations ‘for the sake of it’.

Plenty will disagree. Aggressively, I assume.

But I mean, damn, dudes. It’s just a movie! :p:D

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What if I told you that I can feel that gulf even within myself?
    There are some aspects that I hate and some others that I love. I really can understand why it's so divisive.

9. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    it's definitely a film you need to digest. I know a lot of people who were luke warm or didn't like it on the first viewing however after letting it sit and a second viewing it turns out to be their favorite film.

I think expectations had a lot to do with that.

cane_danko and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I disagree, I think it's divisive no matter how long we think about it, no matter how many times we watch it.
    For my experience, I kept loving when Kylo avoid killing Leia and I kept hating the saber tossing from the first view to the latest.

11. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

Certainly the film considering the fandom as a whole and seemingly to you in particular, but don't think that just because you are conflicted on the movie means everyone is.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm just refusing this idea that whoever dislikes the movie, it's because either he was expecting something else or he still needs to digest it or he didn't get it.
    Some people simply didn't like it.

13. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    no one said that is the reason why people didn't like or that you just might not have liked it

you are refuting a statement that no one made

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The more I watch the first battle of TLJ, the more I'm confused about it.
    It's cool visually, but in terms of military strategy it doesn't make any sense to me.
    It feels both the Resistance and the FO do random things without any actual plan.

16. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, I finally got around to watching it. I certainly can't say I loved it, but then I wasn't expecting to either. The most I can say for it is that I enjoyed it more than TFA, and I thought it was slightly more ambitious. In fact there were parts that I actually "enjoyed" (though not in the traditional SW sense), but those were mostly limited to the first part island scenes with Luke. Those actually had some style. Everything else, especially the battle scenes, were way too much of a rehash of ALL the previous SW films, especially Empire and Jedi, for me to really got invested in. The effects didn't impress me much, and some to me seemed no better than the early Star Trek TV episodes, sorry. I have seen way better effects even in the OT. This movie could have been so much better, after the TFA disaster, but while more ambitious it still came up short miserably. I could have done without most of the "Imperial" and combat effects shots, and that's coming from someone who actually liked those in the previous (except for TFA) movies.
    Mark Hamill was OK, and I have to say I enjoyed his character the most. All the others were more or less expendable, sorry to say, including Leia. She just didn't convince me.
    The technology, sorry to say, just didn't convince me. I have seen way better in the prequels, or Avatar, Aliens, Prometheus, even Pearl Harbor. "Repetitive" is mainly what comes to mind. They should have focused way more on Luke and his island and may actually have come up with a decent movie. But all this Jedi rehash just gets boring after 10 minutes of the mediocre uninspired repetitive endless space and ground battles. We have seen all that before, and better! Why have another redundant ground battle on an ice planet featuring AT-ATs??
    The performances of course were not even close to those in the prequels! No one in TLJ came even close to Hayden Christensen, McGregor or Natalie Portman, and their roles were not even close to being that intense. Snoke as a villain was a joke, and was not even in the same league as Ian McDiarmid. One exception would be Mark Hamill, as he was the only character who gave a similarly intense performance. Daisy was OK, but she never even came close to Portman, not to mention Driver when compared to Christensen.
    Anyway, I somewhat enjoyed this, just never considered it as Star Wars, more like some SF show somehow related to the overall story but never really taking place in the same universe. As such it might even be moderately appreciated. As an official sequel to the saga.... no way!

17. minion101

minion101 Jedi Master

Apr 16, 2015
    I’m someone who has grown up with Star Wars, and I also find the polarised opinions of TLJ really confusing. I really didn’t go in with any expectations, and had avoided speculation - in fact I found TFA a little unoriginal and wondered where the new trilogy was heading. So let’s forget ‘Star Wars’ for a minute. As a film, did it tell a great story that made sense, did it build upon all the mythology and expand the world I’d loved since 1977? - sadly, just as a movie, the whole plot made very little sense to me. I watched TLJ with my 17 year old son, who enjoys Star Wars but I wouldn’t describe as a hard core fan, although he really enjoyed the clone wars series. We both kept looking at each other throughout the screening, and just couldn’t believe the choices made - the script, the odd decisions made by characters and a lot that just basically - to both of us - made no sense at all, didn’t put a chill up the spine like the reappearance of Vader in R1. We were just shocked. I watched it again in the theatre a few days later to check my reaction - I was in denial to be honest - and still really didn’t enjoy it. My son wasn’t interested in seeing it again. I bought the blu-ray and have only watched a few scenes, I just can’t get my head around anyone who thinks it’s a good movie - let alone a good Star Wars movie. I keep reading this is because I expected certain things from the story and they were ‘overturned by the surprising and amazing direction the story took’. I just expected a decent movie, that made some coherent sense. Seriously, what’s left to cover in the next episode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sometimes when reading these threads I have to stop and remind myself that people are being serious. Takes all kinds, I guess!

Right. And actually, TLJ is not so complicated a film that it's difficult to get. RJ spells out its themes pretty clearly. Sometimes it's far too on the nose, actually. And yeah, while I really appreciate RJ's ambition (and think he's a really good filmmaker, in general), and enjoy chunks of the film, it mostly leaves me feeling a tad exhausted.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    DarthHass and godisawesome like this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    How about we not with the PT vs. ST.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I too think RJ's a good filmmaker: Brick is still a fantastic movie, and there's a lot of skill in much of the crafting of TLJ from a film-makign perspective.

The script of TLJ, and even more specifically the plot, is where the disagreements come from. The dialogue is, on the whole, pretty good; the only times it enters into debate or disparagement with the fandom is when the plot casts it in potentially unflattering light. The whole "Don't fight what you hate, save what you love" line is written much better than my paraphrase, and is genuinely quotable, as is Yoda's "The greatest teacher, failure is"... but both have plot contexts that lead to vociferous debate over whether or not the film is making those lines make sense or just papering over mistakes in characterization. And of course whole sections of the internet have been consumed by arguments about the character arcs, about whether they are conceptually intelligent, competently executed, a waste of time, etc.

And you're right in saying that the themes are spelled out a bit too much on the nose, and that the film is not a complicated movie in terms of its story. But I'd say that sometimes the themes are complicated, which maybe doesn't fit the way they're being portrayed, and sometimes the film does want a complex, high concept idea to lay at the center of a major scene, but the simplicity of its execution may "dumb down" the point. To me, Rey and Kylo's connection and Luke's philosophy are both ideas that have a greater burden of explanation, but both end up getting written quite a bit more simply... TOO simply, in fact. And of course, if Finn and Rose are discovering the evils of the Military Industrial Complex, that whole economy has a more complex philosophy and theory behind it than I think RJ really wanted to cover.

There's a desire to tackle moral ambiguity at the heart of TLJ, but the story still has a very, very simple approach to factions and people: trying to blur the lines between genocidal space fascists and everyone else is too tall an order for this film's story. And there's clearly not a lot of emphasis on lore or world-building, even to the extent of seeming exaggerated in a cartoonish way: the tactics, politics, and strategy are blatantly dictated by narrative convenience, and I think that was more a deliberate stylistic choice than a mistake.

But for all the flaws and faults I find with the script, I can't impeach RJ's execution of it, where he displayed strong directing ability, formed a good working rapport with his actors, and administrated the film's production skillfully. I find myself with the paradoxical opinion that the film-making quality of the movie is quite high, above possibly all the Lucas directed films (including ANH)... but that the story is crippled by indecisiveness, apathy, and tunnelvision, and below the rest of the theatrical films in that regard.

I see it as a middling Star Wars film in terms of overall quality, but a personal worst because I'm a plot guy, but I'd heavily recommend it to anyone who's priorities are acting and directing.

Bor Mullet and Lulu Mars like this.
  21. Kujab

Kujab Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2018
    4/10
    Great special effects and pretty visual design, but it's not for I watch movies, Transformers aren't in my type so.
    The illogical behavior of characters, flying Leya and worst scenario of all SW movies.
    Text from this Asian girl "We don't win by killing our enemy but rescue our people" or something like that.
    And this suicide (kamikaze) mission Miss Lieutenant or General? It's so stupid - Why rebels did not destroy Death Stars before with kamikaze attack??
    This film offends my intelligence, I had to watch twice because I fell for the first time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am simply baffled. Most of the movie did not work for me, and I blame that on the script and character choices. I do quite enjoy Mark’s performance and felt a couple of humorous bits worked (Luke’s first lesson and Rey and the Caretakers). Not everything with Luke clicked for me, though I liked that he learned about failure from Yoda.

However, just about everyone fails in ridiculous ways here and some characters and tangents were flat out awful. I still cannot reconcile many choices and storylines, and yet the blu ray is on the way. That boils down to how much I enjoyed Mark in spite of some things Luke does. I know I’ll take the digital and whittle it down to certain things I enjoyed and leave the rest forgotten. It pains me that the writing has yet to capitalize on Oscar, John and Adam’s talents, to say nothing of making Daisy and Kelly moving targets of wrath. There is no way I will blame any of the actors for some things they had to do. I had many issues with Rey in TFA and even more inTLJ, but I am leaving my disgust on the floor. I spat enough in the forums already.

Learning this was a first draft script says so much about all Disney LFL care about now, and I have absolutely zero interest or care to know about the folks that call themselves the ‘story group’.

After all that though, my anger has been largely silenced. I learned watching this I still love Luke, the Jedi and Star Wars, there’s nothing these writers and crew can do which will destroy my love (I thought maybe I am outgrowing it, but no. I understand it is different now, and that little has been done by the writers and PTB to prove that it is more than a money making franchise). Well, I know what I like and am grateful I can still keep this universe deep in my heart and imagination. I generally am selective in what I watch and read from any fandom and that will serve me well here too.

As for Rian, I wasn’t a fan prior to TLJ, and I am not now, but it is no big deal. He hasn’t ruined Luke or the Jedi for me, I just take his vision as a certain point of view that is not my taste.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  23. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I saw it again last week. I still love it.

I don’t get some of the reactions I read. I saw it, got it and enjoyed it. I let myself get excited, sad, frustrated, upset, and loved each minute. It was an emotional roller coaster, thought provoking and commanded my attention with its complexity.

To me it’s such an emotionally exhausting film that after watching it I need to watch something lighter. Rogue one and ROTS do this too.

I want and need more Star Wars films like TLJ

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  24. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    What baffles me even more are people who don't like this but love SW Resistance. That just doesn't compute.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018