main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Last Jedi score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , May 9, 2016.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Need to listen to TLJ score. Any highlights so far?

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I really like that they reused TFA opening crawl music.. I dunno why.. But that's kinda cool!

4. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Very good, as expected, but no BIG HIGHLIGHT for me. Maybe I need to listen more.

5. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

I have the same complaint, and to make matters worse, TLJ's segue from the Force theme into the end credits was the same exact orchestration as the one from ROTS except more jarring. Hopefully we get something different for IX.

B99, Strilo and Larsonator like this.
  6. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The Snoke scene has some interesting work, but there's not much that jumps out like a Duel of Fates or an Imperial March. Lots of quoting going on, and lots of expert juxtaposing and interweaving of various themes, but overall quite a subdued offering from our John.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just the youtubified audio, or a distant recording, but the orchestra seems a bit subdued and unassertive at times. I don't want to rip on it at all, for the movie experience it was perfect, and John Williams on an off day is still John Williams.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Spark is my favorite track.

8. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I love The Spark too. Especially its utterly moving cello rendition of an OT theme we don't hear much of.

I wrote some longer thoughts about it on the TLJ spoiler forum:

BigAl6ft6 and V-2 like this.
  9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Highlights for me -- The Supremacy, Canto Bight, the Battle of Crait, and The Spark.

Brilliant and I love them. I love the sense of urgency in the main title/escape, supremacy and battle of Crait. I especially love the pensive intro to The Supremacy as it captures Leia's reflection on the current state and losses of the resistance.

The Spark made me cry. For obvious reasons.

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The Spark was the most memorable and emotion-stirring part of the soundtrack. Canto Bight also stood out, and it was fitting to the scene, a good mix of the cantina-music and a more 1920s prequelish feel. But overall I was pretty disappointed. Re-use of leitmotifs from OT worked really well, especially during Leia scenes, but this soundtrack didn't bring much novelty to the table. It's a far cry from John Williams' work in the previous trilogy, like Across the Stars of Battle of Heroes. Giacchino's Rogue One score had more creativity to it than TLJ. So here's to hoping that JW gifts us with one last big theme in Ep IX.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I disagree completely. There are some wonderful new themes, plus he really uses the new themes from TFA in great ways. They evolve, integrate better and weave through existing themes really well. Considering that this is the 8th film in the saga, and the second film in this trilogy, I don't see huge opportunities for new themes left and right. Much of the need for thematic material already has existing themes written for it, so he uses those. As he should. What other characters or situations do you feel need new themes?

cwustudent and beetzello like this.
  12. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There weren't a lot a theme-worthy new characters or relationships.

It's a wonderful score. I would say maybe a few Force Theme cues too many, in non-obvious moments.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I mean I really think the film needed to end with the Force theme. I just wish Williams had done a new arrangement for that moment, instead of basically Binary Sunset yet again. Make it more innocent and child-like to match the images.

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Maybe piccolo? It was used again right after the main titles.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Recorder might have worked better.

16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I have listened to the soundtrack by itself, and I have seen the film twice.
    To me, the standouts are
    Fun with Finn and Rose
    Canto Bight
    I think Rose's theme is probably the best new motif brought into the saga. I don't like how the film ended on The Force Theme (I'm getting so sick of it), and most of the standout music moments were repeats of previous themes.

17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The Canto Bight piece stands out within this selection of tracks, but to me it seems little more than a phoned in variation of the cantina theme.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I just spot checked this myself and that's my first impression as well. Like I'm playing a Star Wars game that enters a cantina, but John Williams isn't composing this game's music, so they do what we got with the Canto Bight track.

Soundtracks have always been strange for me in that if they are done well, I almost don't even realize the effect they are having on me until I start humming parts in my head after a dozen or so movie screenings. The soundtrack without the visuals sometimes loses something when it is brand new to you.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Here's a bizarre one.

As pointed out on the just released Full of Sith music specials:

http://fullofsith.com/archives/2205

RJ did have a new recording of the Star Wars theme for TLJ that was "warmer" but for whatever reason they replaced it with the TFA one or made a recording so close that it doesn't matter if it's the same one or not.

11-4D likes this.
  20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't really have an issue with the TFA opening, so it doesn't bother me that it's used again on TLJ...

Darkslayer and Larsonator like this.
  21. Gunray-ban

Gunray-ban Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2017
    Overall, enjoyable. I was at the IMAX opening of the movie, and it had a little vignette with John Williams at the beginning, and he talked about referencing the original trilogy's leitmotifs, so I knew to keep an ear open. Most of them were very obvious, but a few were more quick and subtle.

Not for nothing, but the First Order theme is starting to grow on me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    First order theme?

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would guess they mean Kylo Ren's theme.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So is "The Spark" (when it climaxes) a bit of a remix of Darth Vader / Imperial march? Cuz it totally sounds like that too me.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Star Wars: Episode VIII - John Williams Has Done It Again