main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmmm...unlike the other progressions, I can't see much a distinction between the visual styles of the trooper ACs.

On the other hand, I like the different sounds made by the different blasters.

2. Kalphite

Kalphite Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2009
    Definitely Rakghouls.

Probably the only note-worthy thing I saw in the update today was the trooper storming the Imp base and shooting Sith that were above him in windows.

That's not something you typically see in MMOs...usually everybody is more or less on the same vertical plane fighting each other. Combine that with the cover mechanic, and you could find yourself fighting enemies on multiple vertical levels, all of them popping in and out of cover -- more fps-stylesque, which is definitely a good thing.

Of course, if you're a Jedi Guardian or other melee heavy class, that would sure be a pain...

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Love the probebots he spawns to reveal the cloaked Inquisitor. :D

I first thought the red thing was a gundark too, but the grey things definitely look like rakghouls. I guess that might be on Taris then?

I agree both mid-level suits look fairly similar, but the end-game suits look more distinct. I suppose when one looks at the Jedi or Sith ones, the mid-level robes are also your cookie-cutter robes really, as it was only really on the end-game designs that you got the full blown cyborg assassins and warlock robes.

Good point... I wonder what powers melee classes will have to combat that? [face_thinking]

While you could just stand there repeatedly hurling your lightsaber, that'd be pretty repetitive, so maybe the old Force Jump attack from KOTOR will in this not just launch you straight forward into an enemy directly in front, but allow you to leapfrog up onto someone attacking from above?

Of course, being able to just jump straight into a sniper's face would be lame for them instead, so this'll be interesting to see the answer to.

4. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I think there are some visual cues in terms of the armor but I think that the largest delineation is clearly supposed to be the weapons they use. Sort of how one really distinguishes the Scoundrel from the Gunslinger due to the visual difference between a single blaster or two.

Overall, I really enjoyed this progression.

5. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah, it was the red one that made me think gundark until the grey ones came up close so if thats the case, I'm also assuming that was Taris.

I know the backpacks are bounty hunters only but god I hope troopers get access to them at some point... republic jump troopers! Woooo! :D

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Every Trooper that my Sith Force Pushes from a high place becomes a Republic jump trooper... ;)

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Force Pushes? Pfft. How Jedi Consular of you.

My Inquisitor will hurl every Trooper off the rooftop with a lightning blast! [face_skull]

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    So there is a knife you option!?

wow...thats that rambo stuff.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dang, that is cool. This is the first time I'd consider playing the trooper if it kept up that Republic Commando-vibe.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That'll learn 'em for bringing lightsabers to knife fights!

11. Sock2008

Sock2008 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2008
    No, that just teaches them to kill the trooper first and save the Jedi for later. ;)

12. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Very happy with this video. I've generally wanted to start out with a Trooper character, because of the whole down-to-earth vibe I'm getting from them. You know, just someone who joined the Army and try to make a difference. The two advanced classes also removed my initial doubts of being forced to play a soldier with heavy weapons, because I really want to go more with a soldier who uses Assault Rifle-type weapons. Seems I will be progressing into becoming a Vanguard then.

I wonder if that Jedi Knight in the video is a possible companion for the Trooper.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if they are grabbing their music from some cinematic-song-factory, but I'm really digging the soundtrack of these trailers.

13. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I have very little interest in playing a Trooper, it has been firmly planted at the bottom of my 'will play' list almost since the start. With that said I still enjoyed that vid. There is no point complaining about the similarities to the Clone armor now and explanations such as the Clone army using this as an inspiration works well enough for me.

Also the way the Vanguard dealt with that Sith did the perfect job of highlighting to casuals how effective non-Force users can still be. Good stuff.

Yeah somewhat, although I think the main problem (here at least) is the similarity of the helmet. I think the class would benefit from giving one of the advanced classes a less iconic helmet design as standard, would really help add visual diversity. Especially when you consider most MMOs have armor dyes at some point. As others have said the rest of the Vanguard's look was reasonably different to the Commando (comm pack thing, different blaster etc.)

I believe this video at least uses Two Steps From Hell. Which would make sense as BioWare (and numerous other film and games companies) have used their music to good effect previously.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Don't know if this forum frowns on thread necromancy or making duplicate threads more, so I will take my chances.

So, this game has been out for a while now, and from what is making its way into wookieepedia, it sounds like there is some very good continuity and interesting plotlines in the game. Makes me wish I had more time to play it.

However, I specifically resurrected this thread to discuss this trailer:
    http://www.starwars.com/watch/tor_terror_from_beyond.html

1. Gree in the flesh....I love it when an obscure race like that makes an appearance.

I also like how their tech has a somewhat Tron like aesthetic

2. Sithspawn! And a reoccurring villain becoming one to boot. Very nice.

3. I like the Dread Masters, and how SWTOR has embraced Sith Sorcery in general.

4. Interesting boss at the end. Aboleth should have looked like that.

5. Interesting looking new world for the raid to take place on.

15. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Speaking of companions after seeing that Jedi in the video, I do wonder what companion options the trooper will have. I so do hope we get to have a military battle droid based on the older Sentinel droids from KotOR but obviously much more intelligent :D

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Gree! Real living Gree?! I will really have to raid Youtube for that dialog.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Good point. I know that I in particular almost always look at the headgear first...I always find it to be the most distinctive peice of the outfit, and usually my favorite part.

The Trooper already has a confirmed battle droid companion, but it looks like this:
    [image=http://cdn-www.swtor.com//sites/all/files/en/starships/thunderclap/ss56/ss02_full.jpg]
    [image=http://darthhater.com/uploads/blog_images/gtl/m14x.jpg]

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Took me forever to find your new post...

Is this thread's display being weird for anybody else? The newest posts aren't showing up at the end... but somewhere in the middle, between older posts dated from 2011...

Have I pressed a button? Or is the display of long threads just messed up at the moment?

19. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Hmmm, didnt know that. Excellent... not what I imagined, but it will do :D

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, this is uh.... weird. We're in the beginning of June. OMGZ ZOR WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US WE'RE IN SOME KIND OF TYPE WARRRRP....

No seriously, the only way I was able to find your post was by backchecking the posts you made on your profile page. I know we're having problems with truncated posts, but truncated threads is a new one for me. I'll report it in Comms if there isn't already a thread on the subject.

21. Kalphite

Kalphite Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2009
    The advanced classes update is pretty meh...nothing really new there. Comic book is out...not sure I'll read it since it won't be a webcomic like the other ones -- though if they put it on e-readers I will [face_praying]

Interesting update today in the E3 preview though...

"The planet of Belsavis holds a terrible secret; a secret unknown to both the Empire and Republic for thousands of years. Now, groups of elite heroes must fight to prevent this ancient threat from escaping and causing massive destruction. Prepare yourself for your first encounter with the Eternity Vault."

Dun dun dun...

The update seems to imply that there will be a new cinematic trailer released at E3 that goes over this Belsavis story? We'll see...

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Test post.

edit: well, this is just odd. What in the name of Waru is going on here.

23. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I believe the implications of the update was more that there is a new cinematic (which, judging from the small snippet we saw of it back when they released the Deceived book trailer, takes place near the start of the war) and that the Belsavis information on the floor is something else entirely. From the sound of it, it seems to be focused on raiding.

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    So this isn't just me then? I thought I had just done something wrong.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Belsavis stuff sounds cool. Always glad to see more stories about the GFFA's ancient past. :)

The way they say "prepare yourself for your first encounter with the Eternity Vault" makes it sound like it's going to be a sort of Caverns of Time place that they can patch random raids into each time they think "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to fight some Gree?"

That picture of Malgus with the crossed lightsabers (which looks like it might be the next cinematic), is that the same shot from that brief preview we had at the end of the Deceived trailer they showed us a few months back? (Remember that brief cinematic clip of Malgus arriving on Korriban and announcing the Sith had reclaimed it? I don't think it was as HD as this new shot, but... it looks familiar.) [face_thinking]
    My response was much the same. Pretty bland update really. Though, a week before E3 it's to be expected.

I did, however, laugh at one of the comments to the Lost Suns update:

Great Updates this week prior to E3. And also let me just comment that THIS is how you present a alternate form of Star Wars media to the SWTOR.com community, with other updates to compliment it. Making the entire week's update about 1 book for instance rubber people the wrong way and gave the Revan book a bad rap before it even released because of people misplaced anger about our Friday Updates.

Aww, poor babies, they don't like it when all there is some weeks is something about the story or a novel. :rolleyes:

It almost makes me think they'd whine at another cinematic trailer because... OMG NOO... it's not gameplay!!! :_|

And this is why I dearly hope TOR has an Ignore button. :p

EDIT: Well, my lack of enthusiasm for info about the Advanced Classes that we already knew went up a notch when I read through the page a bit more and saw there were some brief soundbites describing what each class is (for, um, the people who didn't know... or something). :)

However my enthusiasm with the update then fell several notches again when I read these: [face_tired]

Sith Juggernaut: "A stalwart defender of the Sith Empire, the Juggernaut embodies the teachings of Marka Ragnos, charging into enemies with heavy armor and pure rage."

Sith Marauder: "Entrusted with the task of destroying the Empire's enemies, the dual-wielding Marauder emobides the teachings of Naga Sadow. Never hesitating, never faltering, there is no swifter bringer of pain in the galaxy."

I know, I know, I'm a TOTJ purist nazi, however I've fully enjoyed retconning the Great Hyperspace War into something bigger, I've also fully enjoyed JJM's stuff in the Lost Tribe e-books where he's expanded on Ludo Kressh with ideas about his son, etc. That's all brought a smile to my face. But both of those descriptions strike me as wrong.

Marka Ragnos didn't go to war with the Republic. He presided over the Golden Age which was a time of stability - the stability that Kressh wanted to preserve when he disagreed with Sadow going to war. Sure, it's possible Ragnos charged headfirst into war earlier in his life to unite the Sith factions or something, but as things currently stand that description just seems all wrong. And, as for Sadow, he has repeatedly been described as one of the greatest Sith Sorcerers, so why drop his name into a description for a Sith Warrior class? If anything, he should have been mentioned in, you know, the Sith Sorcerer class for Inquisitors.

In both cases, they just seem to have pulled a random name out of a hat and artificially inserted it as a name drop. :rolleyes:

26. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    This is what you get for thread necromancy! :p

The Board is fighting back to restore the Balance! For dragging a past thread into the present, you have thrown our present posts back into the past! Bad, MercenaryAce bad! Did Mortis teach you nothing!?

27. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Ragnos did win stability by killing his rivals, and he did wear heavy armor. It works for me, especially since it is describing a fighting style and not a general philosophy.

I agree with you about Sadow, but he knew his way around a sword as well.

28. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    So I've created a shambling horror of a thread, twisted in mind, body, and soul? Oh gods, what have I done? WHAT HAV-

....can I get it to eat the brains of other threads?

I command the, oh risen thread, to go forth and kill!

29. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Well, I'm a LITTLE more enthusiastic about the advanced classes update than most, given I intend to go Jedi Shadow, and the Consular has, arguably due to it being more in flux due to the recent addition of a tanking option for the Shadow. Meaning we tend to get hosed as far as class updates go.

They even broke the Republic class/Imperial equivalent/Republic class pattern and gave us the Inquisitor's vid first.

So, even if there's not MUCH new info there, there's still SOMEthing. Gotta be grateful for whatever I get. :p

And in any case, it's definitely helped me solidify what I want to go for more as far as talent trees. So there's that. [face_peace]

30. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, this is a very... odd looking thread. Half the posts are from over a year ago and its disconcerting picking out the newer posts.

Should be interesting to see actual Gree and one of their hypergates, instead of reused protocol droids on Coruscant. I'm almost tempted to try go and find a guild or a group to get ready, but meh, I"ll just find it on youtube eventually (group content isn't really my interest). Not to mention I'm not sure how much actually concludes or just builds up to something else (like how quite a few of the Flashpoints are like that). HK-51 and Makeb sound a lot more interesting, but guess just pumping out a new boss challenge is easier.

31. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    True, I suppose when I look at them as just fighting styles and not their general philosophy, it doesn't really matter.

Still, it amuses me to think that Darth Malgus is your archetypical Ragnosian. :p

On an unrelated note: Viva La Glove of Darth Vader! Behold the Dark Heals! The Dark Infusions! And all the other Dark Powers!

aka. I see lots of Sith powers begin with the word Dark. :p

With the power of my Dark Fusion, I shall smite thee with my Dark Lightsaber whilst zapping you with my Dark Lightning and healing any wounds with my Dark Heal! Behold the Dark Power of the Dark Side! (I think I'm starting to see why the Prophets of the Dark Side discovered the Dark Force on Dromund Kaas. :p)

32. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Well this is certainly interesting.

33. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Ragnos was something of a juggernaut... a stalwart guardian of the Sith Empire. He and Sadow both were certainly pretty big sword-wielders; they fit the warrior archetype quite well, because remember, back in the days of the ancient Sith/TOTJ, everyone was Sith sorcerers, from the Ketos, to Ommin/Amanoa, to the Dark Lords and Sith Lords of the Sith Empire. I believe others could fit the mold of the Inquisitor a lot better than Ragnos, or even Sadow... Kun, for instance, could be seen as something of an Inquisitor due to his origins and approach to the dark side, and he certainly was an accomplished sorcerer who focused more on knowledge - it's as if he'd have been totally content, if only he could practice the Sith knowledge freely.

34. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We might have to start a new thread, as this is just simply strange

35. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    So... Marka Ragnos was the Sith Era Leeroy Jenkins?

36. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The worst part is that I actually thought there was a new cinematic trailer for a second. I want another!

37. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    New non-cinematic trailer: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6316714/?hd=1

38. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't know whether to blame Ultimecia or River Song for this madness.

Zorrixor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.