main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: The Princess and the Scoundrel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'll admit that my satire may have been a bit subtle, but you didn't get any sense that wasn't an entirely serious post? Not even when it transfers the 2008 economic crash into SW?

Now, with regard to what you suggested, the problem I can see with each is how do you render the lead of interest? Any company Xizor goes after will be dodgy, or have an element of it. Currency speculating on a galactic civil war to make a pile of cash? About the only way I can see for that scumbag story is that it is a villain's tale and the Empire nabbed the cashpile.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    That is entirely clear. But your position about level of admissible complicity of economic issues in SW is still unclear to me.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The just added expansion should be better.

As to my opening quip, it was just that as Cloak of Deception shows how to make it work.

Hmm, did you ever look at the Canto Bight short story collection?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    No.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You might want to consider it if you're after a different take on SW. I can't recall if it has that much to do economics, been a few years since I read them but it's a good set.

Probably one of the products that suffered in the TLJ backlash.

Vialco and Foreign32567 like this.
  6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I read this book and enjoyed it a lot. It is a nice take of the marriage and events after ROTJ. It felt nostalgic in a sense. No complaints from me on this story. This book and the Luke/Lando book were very good. Don't pass this up, while not earthshattering its still a good read.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I am wondering if that's why this thread is strangely quiet.

Or that people think they know the story thus no need to read it.

Penthesilea, Vialco and Golbolco like this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    It would be a shame because this was great IMO. Very well written, interesting characters and not overly childish like most SW lit is. I loved how the whole first quarter of the book was
    the aftermath of Endor with the celebrations and the different characters plans and feelings
    . It felt a bit like a spiritual prequel to Claudia Gray's Bloodlines with the Leia/Vader angle and what it really means first getting looked into. It got a bit silly at the end but it wouldn't be Star Wars if it didn't!

Mostly Handless, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That is why I have not bought this one, even on Audible. My resolve is weakening slowly.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Weaken faster.

Penthesilea likes this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It just broke. Like a cheap dam in flood season. I’ve got the audiobook and as soon as I’m finished my Scoundrels re-read, I’m starting this one. Thanks to you and the others in this thread who’ve spoken praise in this book’s favour. I honestly was not intending to read this one at all. But I can’t resist a good Star Wars book these days. Not that I ever really could [face_blush].

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    I'll admit, it just doesn't scream out to me as a must read. Particularly being perfectly content with Courtship of Princess Leia's telling of things. I'm perfectly happy to read canon and still adore the EU otherwise, but this one is too close - Han/Leia romance amidst Imperial remnants - for me to muster enthusiasm.

Nothing wrong with canon retreading ground in its new versions, but I prefer the new vistas of High Rebublic and the Thrawn Ascendancy Trilogy (of which I still have to read the last one and will be my next Star Wars read). Plust I don't think it's likely to match the novelty of introducing both the Nightsisters and the Hapes Consortium. One day I'll get to it, however seeing as those that have read it seem to like it.

Vialco likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is not a big continuity bang, things go boom book. Outside of it being of how they marry it has little in common with the earlier book. They are very different stories.

It's a character study and one that does things with both Han and Leia that few other books have. (Perhaps Moving Target for Leia gets close.)

gat-65b likes this.
  14. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Thanks for pointing out the differences. I think looking hard at my engagement with Star Wars, my preferences largely lie in the Star Wars galaxy (the world building yes, but even getting introduced to a new set of characters) more than deep dives into movie characters. Not strictly of course, as I do like when there are some new insights brought into familiar figures. So, while everyone's words are encouraging and bring this book back onto my radar, something like the Thrawn finale will win out as next on the list for me.

Do expect me to bring this thread back from the back pages a few months after everyone's done talking about it:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thrawn Ascendancy works depending on how you find Chiss society and politics. I found those aspects didn't work that well for me but it's still an interesting examination of Thrawn.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I just started the audiobook on Friday, and haven't really had an opportunity to continue since. I'm enjoying it though.

The Endor bachelor party is more fun than Luke's was in Union.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just ordered this (and SW Padawan) from Amazon UK. Should come later this week.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Variety posted 2 lovely full body portraits of Leia's wedding gown!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cute illustration of the wedding:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Pablo being Pablo, he managed to sneak an obscure reference even into Leia's wedding portraits:

[​IMG]

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Delivery man just brought my copy of this and SW Padawan. One will be next on the reading list!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm half way through the audiobook and the only thing that's bothering me a little bit is that Leia has zero recollection about her week on the run with Obi-Wan Kenobi when she was 10. You'd think that would come to mind every time she thinks about Vader being her dad, especially when Obi-Wan told her about the qualities she got from her mother and father.

I totally get that she may have started attributing those words to being about Bail and Breha at some point, but even then she knew Obi-Wan was talking about her birth parents and that should come crashing back to her now.

I'm also quite sure that this book was written without knowing what was going on with the Obi-Wan Kenobi series.

iPodwithnomusic, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    According to the Wook
    Lola gets a mention.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Started this today and I'm about halfway through it. Not bad so far.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That's true. It's a little thing and likely added late in the game but it does solidify the previous Leia canon with the Obi-Wan show just a little bit.

For context, I've read almost all of the canon Leia and Alderaan/Organas stuff since, during, or really shortly before the Obi-Wan show so I've been watching this closely, and it almost works. Her not ever mentioning those events even in her internal monologues is odd, but never a literal plot hole or anything.

(Off topic, that's led to me getting super schooled on what Mon Mothma is up to across the timeline and my guess is that Andor will come closer to causing continuity glitches on that count than OWK did with Leia, which has been mostly near-misses and to my mind inconsistency in the depiction of Breha's health issues, which are mentioned in TP&TS as well. Did I miss a nod to the pulmonodes in OWK?)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Finished this yesterday. I thought it was pretty good.