main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Home Video Release (Digital, Blu-ray, DVD, 4K UHD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 19, 2020.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    As far as I can recall, I thought the bluray of TLJ handled dark scenes fine.

It looks like they tealed the crap out of it. Anyway, I hadn't seen that review but I did see the 4K one. If you look at the stills in that review, specifically the one with the Final Order ships coming up out of the ground, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. The stills may look acceptable in isolation but the digital looks noticeably better. It's the difference between something like this and this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. kylokrennic

kylokrennic Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2020
    I'm sure it does. But my monitor disagrees with dark scenes. Any dark scenes. But especially ones with low contrast.

I'm going to try and get a better one soon. It ruins movies and craps them out for luncheon.

I think JJ likes his teal. Like I said, if you watch the 4-minute summary of the movie on YouTube, the frames there appear virtually identical, to me, to the stills on the blu-ray.com website for the 2K version (albeit, of course, more compressed). And I think the film looks great like that.

Neither of your stills at the end there look right. The first has much finer detail than the second, and more naturalistic colour, but it's also overly bright and washed-out. The second is clearly from a much-inferior source. Low resolution and compressed.

I can't believe Disney would screw up a major release on Blu-ray of a brand-new, high-budget fantasy film mastered in 4K with modern digital calibration tools. I think this movie just likes to throw teal at you. It could be considered excessive. I quite like it as something different (for Star Wars).

3. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Disney have been screwing up major releases for years, it's just that it's usually in the audio department.

4. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    Okay. Might well be a lack of imagination (and knowledge) on my part.

Official releases do get bungled sometimes. But on the evidence here, the look of the film seems intentional.

Though I still don't know what your sample images were about. There's clearly a huge difference between those!

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    This transfer is a disaster. For some reason when there's blue on screen it goes completely nuts and smears it all over the place. The scene where Rey pulls her saber on Zorii looks ridiculous.

6. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    Can you produce a screenshot of that moment for comparison?

7. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    A video that might be of interest to this thread:

kylokrennic likes this.
  8. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Oh man, this is giving me flashbacks to when teal & orange was a filmmaking fad, which was from about 2005 to 2015. Right alongside it was another hideous film fad: The use of shaky cam for every single scene in a film. When those two are combined, it makes me want to puke.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    kylokrennic and PendragonM like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Teal and orange is still used in 99,9% of all movies.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes. It hasn't gone anywhere. It’s very much still present in a lot (most) of films nowadays.

kylokrennic likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I like teal.
    And orange.

kylokrennic likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It could be my TV settings, I think I may have screwed them up.

kylokrennic likes this.
  13. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    It doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be though. For a time, filmmakers were going nuts with it.

kylokrennic likes this.
  14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Joker was sooo orange and teal.

kylokrennic likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    All Blu-ray transfers are slightly different then the theater version you have to have a really good 4K TV to notice or 20/20 vision to notice. I have a regular Blu-ray I don't notice that much.

I ended up getting the Walmart Exclusive and Target Exclusive so far! I plan to get the Best buy exclusive when it is cheap on Amazon! I have seen the movie 3 times in the theater and three times at home I loved it at the theater but I think it gets better with age!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    kylokrennic likes this.
  16. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    And about a million other colours! ;)

Who doesn't love a bit of off-colour R2 and Jar Jar?

On another note, I'm given to understand that the run-times of the various digital versions all differ slightly from one another.

That's a nice number of times to have seen the movie in each scenario. Plus: symmetry!

I don't think I've seen any bad box art for this movie yet.

That said, it does kinda look like Daisy/Rey is standing atop a pile of triceratops dung in that bottom one. :oops:

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, but the primary color grade in almost all movies has a base in teal and orange - as in, you shift the hue of the darker parts of the frame towards teal, as this is the complimentary color of skin tone (which falls in the orange part of the color spectrum*). Orange is often, but not always, somewhat more saturated than the rest of the image as well, to make actors' faces 'pop' more on the screen. And while this has certainly been enhanced since we started color grading digitally, teal and orange has been used by filmmakers for as long as we've had color film. Previously it was all in-camera though - with clothes and set design often using teal-blue hues.

*This is true regardless of skin color. All humans are on the same "skin tone line"; the difference being in luminosity, not hue. Skin is actually just different shades of grey; It's the blood beneath our skin that gives us our reddish hue.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    kylokrennic likes this.
  18. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    I was teasing, but I like your explanation. It is interesting that it suddenly became a fad/the fashion to more aggressively grade, as in your words, according to "a base in teal and orange", around fifteen years ago. I believe this was one of many things that irritated some people, for instance, about the last Indiana Jones film.

So, in reality...

We all look like Palpatine? [face_thinking] :p

indydefense likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't remember precisely how the theater version looked, that was months ago. All I know is the difference between the blu-ray and the (HD) digital version is easily noticeable to someone with bad ( nowhere near 20/20 ) vision like me.

20. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    So you're saying, it wasn't your TV, and it definitely is the Blu-ray?

I still don't get why it would look bad when blu-ray.com gives the 2K Blu-ray a good review and the screenshots look good to me.

What was up in the Rey-Zorii moment you cited? You mentioned blue smearing. Are you aware that the film employs JJ's trademark lens flares in that moment? When Rey pulls the saber out, the closer shots are laced with blue flaring (as in the shot of her retracting the saber). Of course, it certainly shouldn't be smearing all over the screen, but there's definitely a "look" to the film in moments like that.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  21. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    I got the ROS in 4K (as much as I wanted the box set, $200 plus is too steep), I thought the picture was great. I had no issues what so ever

kylokrennic likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    If you know anything about the history of how things usually go down on that site, blu-ray releases almost always get glowing reviews ( though this one at least departs from the usual boilerplate in admitting to significant issues ). Then time passes, and eventually a different release of the same film comes out. And often enough what you end up seeing is that everyone talks about how much better the new release is compared to the earlier, now maligned version. Which got a good review.

23. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I feel that is less and less with the digital age, where the bluray is taken directly from the source.

I find the reviews strange, on this matter though. I dont recall if it was bluray.com or hi-def digest, but the reviews of the 4k prequels seemed so strange to me. The impression I get is that the reviewer is okay with visual enhancements or black levels must be at a certain point even if extended beyond the original intent. ....or that these people base their reviews in Hope's of the release looking a certain way.

...I read Tros was a faithful release.

24. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    You're right then, I guess. I don't know the history of that site all that well. But the stills look good to me and I haven't heard of serious issues till now. That would be a shame if people are experiencing them. This is a major film release and it should be bringing joy to people's lives, not misery and frustration.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Gee, I saw The Rise of Skywalker in theaters the morning it came out on home streaming. I thought the two looked virtually the same with color grading. Seems to be a faithful transfer to these eyes.

haha. Too true.

That does happen quite a bit. Sometimes I think it is time passes and newer movies look better. Other time they see these for better than they are. I also thought when BluTay came out the quality of DVDs dropped a little bit. We might have seen that a bit with BluRay when 4K came out. Now that all 4Ks come with an included BluRay, it seems we are seeing the best going into all formats.

But there is a layer of sparkle for reviews of a newly released disc.

kylokrennic likes this.