main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Marvel Comic Adaptation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...er-gets-the-marvel-comics-treatment-this-june
    Announced earlier today at ComicsPRO in Portland, Oregon, Marvel Comics will be putting the final chapter of the Skywalker saga to the page in a comics adaptation of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Writer Jody Houser (STAR WARS: TIE FIGHTER) and artist Will Sliney (STAR WARS: THE RISE OF KYLO REN) will be teaming up to tell the epic story in STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ADAPTATION #1!
    [​IMG]

In addition to the shocking twists and turns that were present in the film, the five-issue limited series will also have brand-new story material for readers to enjoy!

"As a lifelong Star Wars fan, it was an honor to be asked to be a part of wrapping up the Skywalker saga with Marvel Comics," Houser says. “We have some fun plans to add scenes and material that weren't seen in the movie."

Relive Rey’s quest, the Resistance’s desperate last stand, and the return of an old enemy when STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ADAPTATION #1 hits stands at your local comic shop this June!

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So the end of the saga series gets just 5 issues but Solo, which was a bomb of a movie got 7 issues. That’s odd

3. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    lol Solo wasn’t a bomb

Serfer and lovethedarkside like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is like what Sliney's 4th consecutive Star Wars mini? And his 2nd adaptation. He's basically becoming the go-to. Also Solo wasn't supposed to be 7 issues, it expanded. This may too (or may not). Anyway, yay, completion!

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Almost like it's disingenuous to base an opinion of a story on how well it happens to do at the box office.

6. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    No its not, I like the story but it didn't do well, and I'm not thrilled that we are getting 5 issues when that one alone should be 8 at least. There is a lot going on, and it would be nice to get that kind of adaption to flesh things out. The Last Jedi was a very good adapation. Ohh wait, I better not say that or they'll come after me.

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Which is fine, and as others have said the Solo one was expanded from its original issue count, so the same could happen here. But "Solo was a bomb so it doesn't deserve more issues" is a bit silly. And a 5-issue TROS adaptation might be an interesting experiment in potentially streamlining a fairly messy, unwieldy story that wouldn't necessarily be improved by adding more.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel did an adaption of Infinity War and it took 3 issues, their MCU adaptations are 2 issues max. 5 issues for a movie adaptation by Marvel standards is pretty huge.

Wrinty likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/jody-houser-on-bringing-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-to-comics

In Star Wars storytelling, comic-book adaptations hold a legacy that dates all the way back to 1977, starting with the very first Star Wars comics ever made. So Marvel’s recent announcement that Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the last film of the Skywalker saga, would be making the jump to comics is especially significant. (The circle is now complete, one might say.)

Written by Jody Houser with art by Will Sliney and covers by Phil Noto, Marvel’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker kicks off in May. But it’s no ordinary retelling: the five-issue miniseries will include scenes not seen in theaters. StarWars.com, wayfinder in hand, tracked down Houser to learn more — and to make a request.

StarWars.com: Star Wars has a long history of comic-book adaptations. What does it mean to you to write the adaptation of the Skywalker saga’s final chapter?

Jody Houser: Being a part of this tradition for the last Skywalker saga film is a huge honor. It also means a lot personally, as this is my second adaptation of a Star Wars movie, with Rogue One being my first step into a galaxy far far away.

StarWars.com: This is actually going to feature extended and deleted scenes not seen in the film. How would you say these deepen the story?

Jody Houser: I think one of the great things about adaptations in other mediums is you do get the chance to build out elements of the story there may not have been time or a place for on the screen. Giving light to new scenes gives the creators in these other mediums a chance to add to the story, rather than just translating it for the page.

StarWars.com: The Rise of Skywalker is a big movie, in the sense that a lot happens in each and every scene from start to finish. Does that make an adaptation challenging?

Jody Houser: Adaptations are always a challenge, because you have to balance what you’re showing, what you’re adding, and what you’re leaving out. With such a big movie working to wrap up so much story, that’s definitely an added level of difficulty.

StarWars.com: Is there one moment you’re especially looking forward to recreating in comic-book form?

Jody Houser: I think I’m more excited about some of the new things we’re adding, including expanding moments from the movie with elements we didn’t get to see on screen. Which is vague, but spoilers!

StarWars.com: Finally, will we see the Ben Solo shrug?

Jody Houser: Almost definitely yes. It’s both a fan-favorite scene, and the moment we truly see him as his father’s son, so that would be hard to leave out!

10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  11. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Looking forward to it, specially with the new written stuff.

12. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Has Marvel officially canceled this, or is it just postponed?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it's still in carbonite.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Man I saw this thread was active again and was really hoping there was some news regarding its release [face_waiting] Really frustrated they haven't gotten this out yet (or that it's possibly not coming out at all).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    At least Duel of the Fates got a great fanmade comic adaption... makes me wonder why no fanmade comic for TROS is done too? Or kinda one with adding scenes fans want in addition to what the movie delivered?

16. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Is it known why this hasn’t been released. I didn’t find the previous modern Star Wars movie adaptations to be all that interesting compared to the original trilogy and prequel trilogy’s adaptation artwork. but I’m not a fan of Margel comics artists recently in general. Have adaptations not been selling well, and the reception of TROS, made publishing second guess?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    From what I know from this adaption, it confirmed:

the Ace Squadron from Resistance was indeed present at Exegol.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I could see marvel put this into a Skywalker Saga Omnibus. or a sequel trilogy TPB at sum point.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is very strange, doesn't match up at all to Marvel's money hoovering tendencies.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's probably done but shelved because they have 4 ongoing Star Wars books and they're in the middle of a gigantic crossover, they may be saving it for a lull in between events and maybe when/if one of the ongoings ends (Darth Vader volumes seem to end at issue #25 if the last 2 are any indication)

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm sceptical of that - Marvel have ran and continue to do multiple events at the same time, they don't care about your bank balance.

Vialco likes this.
  22. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Just read the IDW Rise of Skywalker Adaptation although it isn’t as comprehensive as a Marvel Adaptation it’s still pretty good.