main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novelization by Rae Carson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    No release date?

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think they said it was out in March

4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    On March 3, 2020

MrDarth0 likes this.
  5. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's really an interesting coincidence, as i posted today a question about who would write it and when it would be released

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I absolutely loved Most Wanted, so I've got high hopes for this. I have no idea if the movie will be bad/good/whatever, but Carson is fantastic about getting inside characters' heads, and developing moral matters (more than just "is it right or wrong?" but reconciling why someone's thoughts don't always amount to their actions).

Also that book made me literally LOL a few times, so now I'm biased.

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hooray for Rae writing Rey!

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    That is exciting news. I'm looking forward to it.

9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea, big fan of Most Wanted a great, fun read. Can't wait for this!

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t like Qi’ra so I had not read Most Wanted—looks like I need to get on that.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from the lack of Force Sensitivity, I found Qi'ra to be lot like Ventress in some ways - both are enforcers for more powerful figures, who have ambitions. Both have been sold as slaves early in life. And so forth.

Vialco and Darth Caliban like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, Most Wanted is great. Carson's story in Canto Bight about the lethal masseuse is also pretty great, so I have no doubt she'll do a fine job with this.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ventress was funnier and would never say “Everyone serves someone,” not in a million years, at least not prior to the midway point of Dark Disciple.

If the book is as funny as people here are saying, maybe Qi’ra got some good lines.

I’ve got the Canto Blight one on my Kindle as well.

Looks like I need to read more outside work, lol.

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    She's like a Ventress that never gets betrayed by Dooku, and instead lives to overthrow him, only to end up serving Sidious. So, Seasons 1-3 of Clone Wars, not the later seasons.

Vialco and Darth Caliban like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Honestly I can't see any comparison between Qi'ra and Ventress, other than they're Star Wars villains and female. They're not even the same type of villain, for that matter. Their histories are entirely different -- they grew up on different planets, had different friends (and concept of "friend"), have different personal objectives (Qi'ra has a far greater personal emphasis on staying alive above everything else than Ventress because she's been literally sold between multiple owners her whole life; Ventress learned what freedom was a lot earlier on and her motives are more influenced by her interactions with the Force and those who use the Force, usually with the result that she feels -- rightly -- misused by other Force users and seeks revenge), they don't behave similarly at all, and when it comes down to it Qi'ra would rather suck up to someone with more power so she can stay alive whereas Ventress doesn't know the meaning of the term "suck up" and is focused on trying to find her place in the universe. In fact, regarding the last point, I bet Ventress would emphasize more with Rey than Qi'ra because Ventress is thinking in much larger "what is the meaning of it all/where is my place in the Force?" realms than Qi'ra, who is focused more on day-to-day issues.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    If we see Qi'ra again, i guess she gets a redemption arc and likely will die in the arms of Han. Which takes his journey a step farther into the direction of becoming the person he is in ANH.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently Ventress was captured and enslaved at some point after her Master's death, during her revenge rampage (Dooku Lost) and wasn't freed again until Dooku found her.

Vialco likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's an entirely different situation though. Ventress wasn't born in the gutter we saw in Solo, and that gutter was all Qi'ra knew her whole life until Proxima sold her offworld. Ventress was only with Hal'sted a short time, and he wasn't so bad. Most of her childhood and teenage years were with Ky Narec.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to Dooku Lost, Halstead used her as his personal torturer, for torturing enemies, for some time. We know she was with him, at least, for several years.

IMO Halstead and Dooku are to Ventress, as Proxima & Dryden Vos are to Qi'ra - tutors in the way of evil.

Obviously their stories are not identical,

but "Hal'Sted's personal torturer and Dooku's personal assassin" is not a million miles away from "Dryden Vos's personal enforcer and assassin."

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Vialco and Wrinty like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Darth Vindicaa

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh nice. I was kinda hoping they didn't go with the teaser poster due to campy looking Palpatine, but this is a very nice compromise, and will probably look better than the main poster would have looked.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    About Jannah being Lando's daughter.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  24. trekker28

trekker28 Jedi Master

Oct 16, 2008
    I really hope this book gets to dive deeper into palpatine coming back and more on who his son was.

25. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Hopefully this is on the same vein as the ROTS and TLJ novels and goes more out there to fill the blanks.